• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Need a PJ recommending

• Thread starter Deleted member 63670
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 63670

I have at the moment a Panny PV500 plasma and the usual hooked up, ie skyhd, xbox360, dvd's etc. Now i'm thinking of getting shot of the tv and using a pj full time, obviously a good pj will need to be had but which one? i do need to view a dlp to see if we get the dreaded rainbows and i'll also be looking at a tab tensioned screen as i had a couple of screens when i had my ae500 and i had ripples which bugged the hell out of me.

It obviously has to be HD ready and will be used for all viewing.

Any sugestions?

Pacemaker10000

Established Member
Whats your budget?
if like me you see rainbows then your limited to lcd
plenty around the £1000 mark but dont expect a huge leap upin quality from your 500 unless you spend mega money in the lcd market

pure_geordie

Established Member
I have yet to see rainbows.....what kind of eyes you got then:D
No....just kidding, me only demoed one projectot so far the Tosh MT400 and seen no rainbows..not sure what exacly i'm supposed to be looking for...thats why I probably can't see them...Good luck on your search:smashin:

Pacemaker10000

Established Member
pure_geordie said:
I have yet to see rainbows.....what kind of eyes you got then:D
No....just kidding, me only demoed one projectot so far the Tosh MT400 and seen no rainbows..not sure what exacly i'm supposed to be looking for...thats why I probably can't see them...Good luck on your search:smashin:

if you dont see them then best not try and read up on what they are or you soon will and they'll drive you crazy :D

Jammyb

Prominent Member
That's a demonstration of what people mean when they talk about 'rainbows' it's not a test of if you can see them or not.

D

Deleted member 63670

i know that i'm not going to get the quzlity like i do with my pv500 but would like to test out a dlp in action as i dont want to dismiss them without trying first, ive had lcds and am fine with them but would like to explore all the options.

Cool-hand

Established Member
Hi Emporer

Their are very few people that move from LCD pj's to DLP and then go back to LCD. The pic quality on most DLP's is most definitely more striking with a certain POP to the vivid strong colours and deep blacks! Most will agree.... but not everyone! Please no back-comments, Im not looking to argue, thank you.

Dont get caught in the spec tech trap either, some earlier PJ models still blow new LCD's and some DLP PJ's completely away! I.e. Sim2, etc...

As with cameras the quality of the lens being used is paramount and makes a good portion of the overall pic quality. I.e. Sim2, etc...

Resolution does play a part but is not the be all and end of a good PJ. I.e. Sim2... Check out this months Homecinemacoice for an interesting article of resolution and how it can and cant play a part.

If budgets tight theirs a good used PJ on ebay that got excellent reviews here and in the AV press. Its an Optoma Themescene H57 here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Optoma-H57-Home-Cinema-Projector-AS-NEW_W0QQitemZ110010952706QQihZ001QQcategoryZ22610QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Rgds

CH

infinite_loop

Established Member
Cool-hand said:
Hi Emporer

Their are very few people that move from LCD pj's to DLP and then go back to LCD. The pic quality on most DLP's is most definitely more striking with a certain POP to the vivid strong colours and deep blacks! Most will agree.... but not everyone! Please no back-comments, Im not looking to argue, thank you.

Dont get caught in the spec tech trap either, some earlier PJ models still blow new LCD's and some DLP PJ's completely away! I.e. Sim2, etc...

As with cameras the quality of the lens being used is paramount and makes a good portion of the overall pic quality. I.e. Sim2, etc...

Resolution does play a part but is not the be all and end of a good PJ. I.e. Sim2... Check out this months Homecinemacoice for an interesting article of resolution and how it can and cant play a part.

If budgets tight theirs a good used PJ on ebay that got excellent reviews here and in the AV press. Its an Optoma Themescene H57 here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Optoma-H57-Home-Cinema-Projector-AS-NEW_W0QQitemZ110010952706QQihZ001QQcategoryZ22610QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Rgds

CH

I had that one for a day before my 72 arrived, it was very very good, and so quiet! OP, you really need to check the HD72...i am blown away with my new one, it's better than any plasma i've seen, and way more bang for your buck.

Cool-hand

Established Member
infinite_loop said:
I had that one for a day before my 72 arrived, it was very very good, and so quiet! OP, you really need to check the HD72...i am blown away with my new one, it's better than any plasma i've seen, and way more bang for your buck.

Hi

Yes Ive no doubt it was better, but for bang4buck as a used projector the ebay could be a star buy! I found the IN76 a more enjoyable experience IMO. For some reason the 72i had some flickering issues with HiDef material on the unit I saw. Are there any know compatibility issues with PC's?

Hey you need to see the New Pioneer 5000EX. Its almost tempting to go back from PJ to Plasma!!:eek:

Rgds

CH

Timbo21

Prominent Member
I'm not sure if a projector is a full-time replacement for a TV, especially since you can't watch with any significant light in the room.

The other thing to consider is the cost of changing the lamp, which will last about 2000-3000 hours & can cost around £300. I also imagine that projectors must burn considerably more juice than a TV. Plasmas apparently burn quite a lot I've heard, but pj's may be even more?

It might be worth while to get a cheap CRT TV, which you can chuck on to watch soaps etc.

T.

Zone

emporer said:
I have at the moment a Panny PV500 plasma.
Now i'm thinking of getting shot of the tv and using a pj full time.
It obviously has to be HD ready and will be used for all viewing.

Any sugestions?

Why not keep the Panny?
As Timbo21 says unless you can properly control the light significantly then a projector imo isn't a replacement for a dedicated telly whether that be LCD, Plasma or CRT.

The whole point of the projector for me is the WOW factor every time I turn it on to watch a film, if I was watching it 24/7 then that WOW factor would start to lessen and TBH the amount of decent telly that deserves to be blown up 8ft across is negligable :boring:

So why not have both? A nice drop down screen in front of the Panny for those movie/sports/gaming experiences that really do deserve the big screen :thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 63670

I have the panny in one corner of the room, the room is oblong and really the worst possible type room for a pj due to a conservatort at one end and things just making it bad for having both a pj and the plasma, i used to have the panny on the wall and a screen that rolled down in front of it with my ae500 on the ceiling above my head, problem is that the distance was not optimum, it just looked too big from the distance we were sat.

My thought this time round was to arrange the living room in such a way as that the screen would roll down in front of the conservatory doors and we would sit at the other end of the room, thus using the room length ways to maximise distance between screen and sofa. This setup would be no good to with the plasma obviously.

I did think of putting the plasma in the bedroom but the wife probably would kill me!!!

I need to think long and hard with this one

D

Deleted member 63670

I do also believe that pj's today can be used 'full time' and that while they might not be as bright in light conditions they can still put out a good image

infinite_loop

Established Member
Cool-hand said:
Hi

Yes Ive no doubt it was better, but for bang4buck as a used projector the ebay could be a star buy! I found the IN76 a more enjoyable experience IMO. For some reason the 72i had some flickering issues with HiDef material on the unit I saw. Are there any know compatibility issues with PC's?

Hey you need to see the New Pioneer 5000EX. Its almost tempting to go back from PJ to Plasma!!:eek:

Rgds

CH

Sure, that proj on ebay is a great buy indeed. I've got no flickering problems with HD that aren't due to source material, everything's perfect.

I'm never going to plasma - the artefacts in the picture are just too distracting. I was with both my brothers-in-law last night, saw both their new Panny & Pioneer plasmas, and I remain convinced that a DLP is way better. That and they were both moaning about screen burn from a couple of hours of Sky Sports News. That would annoy me so much i'd chuck it out of the window. Oh, and the room doesnt' have to be in darkness to just watch TV. Obviously you make it dark for a film though.

nwhitta

Established Member
PJs are great in a darkened room but not so good in daylight or even high ambient light. If you don't want to watch everything with the curtains closed, don't get rid of the TV.
Also, do you need to see everything on 100" screen?
A TV is still a useful thing to have.

Cool-hand

Established Member
Hi

Have got to agree with most here, a PJ is a cinema thing (movies & games only) I wouldn't and do not use it for normal tv viewing. Absolutley keep both or as someone said get a small crt tv for tv viewing and a pj for movies.

I'm lead to believe the Panny 500 is excellent for tv viewing so I would stick for a bit and save for a new pj or buy used, theres deals aplenty!

Rgds

CH

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom