1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a new TV need some advice please, ta

Discussion in 'TVs' started by steeve, Dec 15, 2003.

1. steeve

steeve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi this is my first post!

Can you please advise me on which TV to buy? I am looking for a 36 inch screen and dont know whether to go for a conventional TV, like the Sony or the Panasonic or to look at the 37 inch Panasonic plasma screen. What are the benefits of plasma? I have been told that a conventional TV has a better picture and is more reliable. Whats the truth?
    Not too sure about Sony as the TV we have has not been too reliable ...
    Many thanks, STEVE.....................

2. steeve

steeve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does no one have any advise? Could also do with some idea where to look for best prices, please ................:confused:

3. ellingtj

ellingtj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For a quick price guide see www.dealtime.co.uk - this searches the subscribing online retailers for their price on items - great for seeing what the cheapest you can get a TV etc for(enter a model name or search through the categories). However, after recent experiences I would now steer clear of online retailing except maybe for the high street branch derived companies - i.e. Comet online etc. As for your choice - I don't really know what to recomend but I would lean towards a plasma due to the ease of moving the item - a 36" CRT is a beast to move!

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    Which is best - is very very much a matter of opinion. All technologies have shortcomings and which to choose depends on your own ability to cope (or not) with them.

Most people who have just invested their hard-earned cash on a 36 inch CRT will tell you that (a few niggles aside perhaps) it's to d's bs.

Ditto those who have bought Plasma.

And ditto those who favour LCD.

You should really start out by looking at examples. But do bear in mind that the majority of high street stores have displays of TVs connected up by imbeciles to badly maintained RF distribution systems running off maladjusted aerials. Finding a competent store is difficult, but they do exist. Try to get demos of DVD running via a direct RGB connection to see them at their best.

Things to watch out for:

CRT: Poor geometry and convergence (will vary from set to set and yours may not be the same as the display model); image instability (changing shape/size with brightness). Plus, of course, massive size and weight.

PLASMA: Possible poor contrast. Poor resolution on cheaper models. Some exhibit processing artefacts, especially when showing $ky.