Need a new Sub, HELP!

Kazman

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Currently have an Eltax Sub-10 in my setup (rest of the setup is below in my signature).

This is now the limiting factor in this system, and I feel that it is time to upgrade.

I would love to go for a B&W ASW675, but alas, it is out of my price range due to the fact I have just splashed out on a Marantz SR7400 and a Pioneer DV668AVS. I was thinking of the KEF PSW2500, or a MJ Accoustics Reference 150.

What is the cheapest price out there for the KEF PSW2500, and does anybody have this model? If so, what do they think?

The Eltax Sub-10 is a 175Watt sub, but is more boom than bang, and I want something to suit music playback as well as movies.

The Sub-10 was a bargain buy at £69.99 (down from £189!), but it was always going to be a temporary stop gap measure until I could afford something decent.

I was thinking about the Mordaunt Short MS909W, 300 Watts, and it will match the rest of my system well, but £500 is a bit steep for it imho, and the ASW675 isn't far off that cost wise either.

Seen the KEF PSW2500 for less than £300, but I've only seen it reviewed with the KEF Q7 AV speaker package, albeit favourably.

Advice needed, help people :):smashin:

Hi kazman
The mj150 is a good little sub,also look in the classifieds for second hand.Dont know if this would intrest you but one of your fellow av members brought the mission 78as sub which used to retail at £700 and was impressed with it musically and with movies he got it from www.hyperfi.co.uk(thats if theres any left).
Cheers Gonzo.

The only reservation I have over the MJ150 is that it may not be powerful enough for my room (12ftx25ft).

The KEF has sufficient grunt and is wife friendly in the looks dept :). Would love a REL Strata III, but alas, I fear I'd be signing divorce papers at the same time as signing the credit card receipt!! Now I'm stuck at what to do. There is no real hurry, as the Eltax Sub-10 is doing an adequate job for the time being, so might wait and see if Richer Sounds get any bargain subs in of a decent quality. At the moment, their high end subs are a bit lacking.

HyperFi don't have any more of those Missions either :( The subwoofer is always a pain to get right LOL!

Think I'm going to plump for the KEF sub, seen it for £239 at prcdirect, but I'm going to wait for pay day before buying, been a very expensive month this month! :)

Originally posted by Kazman
I was thinking about the Mordaunt Short MS909W, 300 Watts, and it will match the rest of my system well, but £500 is a bit steep for it imho, and the ASW675 isn't far off that cost wise either.

If you have a look around, you will find that 909's crop up for a bit less than £500 ;). Also the 309 (still a huge step from the Sub 10) is £240 odd these days. It is quite an underated unit and has a number of useful features.

Of course I could always sell one of my 909's................

Think I'm going to plump for the KEF sub, seen it for £239 at prcdirect, but I'm going to wait for pay day before buying, been a very expensive month this month! :)

Can't see it now?

Can't see any Kef subs.........

Of course I could always sell one of my 909's................

How much we talking about for a 909W ToF?

PM me :)

BA: They are advertising it in the What Hi-Fi mag this month.

Going to give them a buzz after pay day, and see what they say. Unless something else comes my way.

I haven't (despite the worryingly enthusiastic looks from Mrs Tons) made any firm decisions yet. Both units are black if that matters. I have to decide with my conscience if 2 300w subs are entirely suitable for terraced living. If I make the leap you will be the first to know.

Kazman You have PM

Trying to reply mate, but it says your mailbox is full

OK, it's gone thru now :)

Not sure the 309 will have enough oomph to replace the Sub-10, it may sound better, but probably won't shake the room as much.

I want the best of both worlds at the moment.

The 909 got a great review in this months Home Cinema Choice magazine, it also got a good review in What Hi-Fi earlier in the yr.

That just made my decision more complicated :(

Not sure the 309 will have enough oomph to replace the Sub-10, it may sound better, but probably won't shake the room as much.

I don't want to be rude what is currently shaking your room isn't bass but distortion. A better sub will have much cleaner and tighter bass which may sound different to start with but is much less fatiguing in the long run.

I don't know the Mordaunt Short model numbers but the one that they had playing Fast & Furious at the recent Bristol show was a cracker and infinitely better than the Eltax.

That would be the Mordaunt Short MS909, it is a cracking sub, yes, and is slowly moving to the top of my list.

The Eltax isn't pretty, the room shaking is the thump through the floorboards effect that is always nice to feel during a big explosion (ooer). The Eltax booms way too much though, and it is really getting on my nerves. The MS909 and the KEF PSW2500 are the two front runners, but it all depends on how much I can get them for. Best price for the Kef is £239!! Which is a bargain, but I can't find the 909 for less than £499 anywhere.

The wife has promised to buy me a REL Stentor III when the home cinema extension is finished though :):):):)

Well, I'm selling my Hitachi 32WF727N television, don't really need it now, and it is just taking up space, and with a Toshiba 42WH36P in the same room, that is space the wife can use for 'her' stuff, god knows what that is.

Anyway, the money from that will go towards a new sub, so my budget could well stretch to a REL Stampede or Strata. How do these compare against the Mordaunt Short 909 and KEF PSW 2500? I guess the B&W ASW675 is also in my sights too now :) :)

The REL's are very lovely things (we have a Stygian here for test purposes) and very musical indeed. They are not massively better than the other mentioned ones but there is clear air between them. As to the 909 vs the 675, in this country, the B&W seems to win the group tests they're both in whilst in Germany it is the other way round- work that one out :). The 675 looks nicer (we subscribe to the "functional" school of design) but the notch filter in the 909 is very handy at driving the things harder than would otherwise be possible by avoiding undue resonance.

Those SVS subs look a bit tasty too, now I'm confused.

With the exchange rate as it is right now, those subs are bargains!!!

Especially if they are as good as everyone is saying. Need to have a listen of one.

Couldn't wait any longer for a MS909W, so picked up a KEF PSW2500 today. Very impressed with it so far, even the wife could tell the difference.

With music it is so much nicer, so much tighter, and lots of control. It is still running in though, so will report back once its settled in.

Just wondered what you're doing with your Sub10 mate? Im a poor student looking for a cheap amp... if your selling how much would you let it go for?

Cheers,
Michael

Not sure if I'm selling it yet mate.

Might use it in a surround setup for the bedroom, but it may be a little too powerful for the bedroom.

Shall we say £50 if you come and pick it up? 175 Watts, will definitely shake the room! :)

I have a rel storm for sale on the classifieds mkIII
in rosewood its up a t £550
make me an offer

Originally posted by simonthepieman
I have a rel storm for sale on the classifieds mkIII
in rosewood its up a t £550
make me an offer

Just wondering if you saw the 'poor student' bit :D :D :D :laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back