need a new sub £550 full HD 40"+ TV but have no idea where to start (noob) :(

Flare[uk]

Standard Member
Reaction score
So it's time to upgrade my TV but i have no idea where to start!
My needs:
40"+ (preferably over 40")
Full HD
Good for Xbox
Suitable to be used as a PC Monitor (for gaming, general stuff and DVDs including Blu Ray)

By just having a look at a couple of sites i've made a quick list but have no idea which would be the best to go for:

LG 42LH2000 LCD @ £479
LG 42LH3000 LCD @ £529
LG 42PQ6000 Plasma @ £480
Sony Bravia KDL 407550 LCD @ £499 (Currys give it this model number but i think the proper one is Sony Bravia KDL40V5500U. Oh and this is reduced from £599 with TV scrappage scheme)
Samsung PS42A426 Plasma @ £462
Panasonic TX-P42X10 Plasma £523

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot,

Flare

i was recently looking at the LG range especially the 3000 as its had many good review (theres a whole thread on here somewhere) in currys watching wall e on blu ray i saw loads of judder - this was prob down to the settings on the blu player but when i asked the manager he said it was because of the cheaper (£20) HDMI if i bought a belkin at £35 it would cure it - i laughed and stopped him blagging me - its not the cable!!!

if you can stretch to 600 you can get the 7700 with freesat hd in richer sounds in 47"
LG 47LF77STARSTAR at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

Thanks for the reply :) I might be able to stretch to that depending on how much i can get for all the junk im selling atm :D
Is that LG a reputable tv?

The Panasonic X10 is excellent but not full HD

I would avoid Samsung and LG plasmas for PC use as they are quite susceptible to image retention it seems

I'd choose the Sony :) Better PQ than LG (and avoid the 7700 with Freesat as it is very average from what I have read)

The Tosh 42XV635DB is £649 everywhere at the moment but if you buy it from Amazon you get £100 back from Toshiba making it £549. It is full HD, with mostly positive reviews. Video playback via USB is tricky and some buyers grumble about reliability. A few lucky barsteds last week snagged it for £579 -£100 ie £479, you should ask them what they think of it.

Thanks for the info, the only downside with the Sony is that it is 40" but i'm sure i could live with that :D unless anyone else can recommend something else?

The Tosh 42XV635DB is £649 everywhere at the moment but if you buy it from Amazon you get £100 back from Toshiba making it £549. It is full HD, with mostly positive reviews. Video playback via USB is tricky and some buyers grumble about reliability. A few lucky barsteds last week snagged it for £579 -£100 ie £479, you should ask them what they think of it.

ooo! is there anywhere else that sells it that is offering £100 cashback off toshiba and quidco?

£499 @ Amazon
Amazon.co.uk: Used and New: Toshiba Regza 42AV635DB 42-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD TV with Freeview and Resolution +

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
You can find the list of cashback participating suppliers on the Toshiba site. Don't know if any are part of quidco, you'll need to check

You can find the list of cashback participating suppliers on the Toshiba site. Don't know if any are part of quidco, you'll need to check

Ok thanks.
Look at my link to amazon, is it just me or does it seem like it's £499 without any mention of cashback?

Ah right, didn't realise what i had found was different.
How do you go about getting the cash back? and is it just like when you get it £100 straight into your account?

All details of the cashback deal can be found here. And I highly recommend this fabulous TV. :thumbsup:

Desperate to make up for missing the two-day £70 price cut last week, I have been constantly checking with the other dealers participating in the Toshiba cashback for better offers than Amazon's on this TV.

There is no competition. Dabs charges a few quid less but delivery is extra. The rest of them charge more, even though their ads on Google and indeed on Amazon always seem to quote a lower price until you click through.

Dell are doing it for £555 - but no cashback.*
John Lewis do it for £649 with a five year warranty, but no cashback, and none in stock either, last time I looked.

Looks like I am going to have to bite the bullet and pay the £649 (£549), before the price goes up yet again.

I just had Virgin HD installed and though my 32" Acquos does 1080i, it's like the picture's too big for the screen... hence my itch to upgrade. (And no, I'm not talking about overscan! :D)

*no they're not - clicking through showed a price of £650 odd. Thought Google Shopping was better than that.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom