• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Need a new router - cheap. Suggestions?

SyG

Standard Member
Mine is dying.

I need a cheap wireless modem router with a wired channel too. One concern that I have is Nintendo wifi compatibility for my Wii and DS, and the cheaper ones being more fiddly with it.

Now, I see them for £35 on Ebuyer but I need to know why there is so much price difference? I mean, what could I possibly be looking for in a router that a £35 one doesn't have an a £50+ one does have?

graystreet

Prominent Member
The Netgear Dg834G is as good as any, been around for a while and got good reviews. With more expensive ones you're mainly paying for a higher wireless speed and greater range.

My kids both use DS and Wii on our Netgear and they're fine.

SyG

Standard Member
Thanks, I have had a couple of other people recommend that one to me, but is there any difference between that and one that is £15-odd cheaper like the ones here for instance?

SyG

Standard Member
Thank you - the wife's having a benny about the £50 it's going to cost in total though.

I'd buy it if I have to, but although not as aesthetically appealing, the US Robotics one has great reviews and a 2 year warranty too and is £14 cheaper. Before I go for the splash though, I'd like a more informed opinion as opposed to just good reviews - are there any reasons not to get it?

Chuck_Norris

Established Member
i also have the netgear 834dg and can recommend it especially since its so reasonably priced.

i did defect to a bt home hub for about a week until i returned to the trouble free netgear.

Chuck:)

RMCF

Distinguished Member
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I think its better than starting a new one.

I have never used a router before, and my internet connection comes into an upstairs bedroom. I want to use my new laptop downstairs but am unsure which one I need.

I have seen 2 in Argos' sale. Both have different speeds and I was wondering if this would make any difference when using at home and if it would be worth the extra?

One is 54Mbps:
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...0000701&langId=-1&searchTerms=6750385&x=0&y=0

and the other is 125Mbps:
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...0000701&langId=-1&searchTerms=6750392&x=0&y=0

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
Buy the thirty quid one because it will do everything that you want and adheres to the International Standards. The other one doesn't and so may be a blind alley. It is better to throw away the cheaper one in the future.

Hades

Distinguished Member
I have just bought the Buffalo AirStation WBMR-G125 and have it set-up for my Wii and DS. Its really small and a cracking router. Very very pleased with it.

RMCF

Distinguished Member
Buy the thirty quid one because it will do everything that you want and adheres to the International Standards. The other one doesn't and so may be a blind alley. It is better to throw away the cheaper one in the future.

Thanks for the reply. Might buy one tomorrow and see if it works for me.

Is there anything else I will need?

I currently have a wire from the socket to my PC's LAN socket on the back. Do I just plug this into this router instead?

Sorry, but bit useless when it comes to modern technology.;)

RMCF

Distinguished Member
I disagree. A hijack is exactly that: people are answering your questions now and not mine.

Quite frankly I think that it's rude.

Apologies. Really sorry.

Was not meant to have your question stopped from being answered, just wanted to add another question into the mix. You see I surf several forums and I hate to see needless multiple threads started, so I thought if I threw my question into this mix then both of us would get sorted.

So I am done now, so could everybody get back to groovemeister and sort him out.:oops:

ntm1275

Established Member
The Netgear DG834G comes with a full set of configuration options, from blocking certain key words, web sites and IM ports and you can time limit certain IP addresses (all good if you've got kids)

The port forwarding section is also comprehensive and is easily managable

The wireless G signal is also stronger and faster than many other wireless G routers that I have tested

I highly recommend it, no problem in 2 years running 24/7, it just works and never needs rebooting

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom