need a new PVR (re post from the DVD recorder forum)

needapve

Novice Member
Reaction score
(I think I posted this in the wrong forum originally)

Hi there. My old trusty Panasonic DMR-EX77 threw a bit of a wobbly last Saturday. For all TV stations there was just a black screen with no sound. In addition, the TV guide never came up when the handset button was pressed. Before I went to bed I left it in standby as usual. I didn't hang around to see if the shutdown display had anything different on it. The next morning when I turned it on all was working as if nothing had happened. Apart from that is, before I turned it on in the morning the display had a message, something along the lines of U01. But, after pressing the power button the display went into its "Goodbye" shutdown sequence. I powered it on again and all was well.

Anyway, I thought after 12 years service it might be time to look for a replacement, maybe pre-empt a catastrophic failure. As well as the tuner issue last week, the sound from the left hand channel has been sub standard for a number of years and every few days whilst using the programme guide the whole system hangs for 30 seconds or so before it recognizes any handset button press.

If I'm going to replace it I might as well add features that weren't available in 2009, such as wi-fi connectivity to give me access to catch up TV/YouTube and more than one tuner. I hardly use the record to DVD function so losing an integrated DVD player is no loss.

I've had a quick look around and the Manhattan T3-R seems to fit the bill apart from it doesn't have slow motion. I occasionally use it whilst watching sport recordings, like cricket, to look at action the TV producer might not deem worthy of a slow motion replay. From a quick search nor does any other PVR available in the UK other than Panasonic again which don't seem to have YouTube etc.

If I buy a PVR with no DVD function, I'll also take the opportunity to buy a blue ray player at the same time.

So, what recommendations do you have? And, is there a PVR with slow motion I could look at with wi-fi, catch up TV and YouTube?

Thanks

There are only 3 manufacturers left in the mainstream PVR market (Humax, Manhattan and Panasonic) so your choice probably isn't as difficult as you think !

Humax's latest is the Aura, which offers 4K streaming and most of the features and apps you would want on a PVR, but with a few surprising app omissions which include Netflix and Now TV. You can also still get the 5000T, although that dates back to 2017.

Manhattan have the T3-R, as you've already discovered. It's not as fully-featured as the Humax Aura, but is a fair amount cheaper. Many prefer this option and a separate streaming device for access to the apps it doesn't support.

Panasonic are the only manufacturer still making Freeview PVRs which feature DVD/Blu-ray players/recorders but I don't think they've refreshed their products in a long time - most (if not all) of their current models appear to date back to 2015/2016 so I'd be surprised if they were anything other than clunky and slow. They are also really expensive and lack 4K HDR support - you'd be much better off with an Aura or T3-R and a separate 4K Blu-ray player, IMO.

It should be fairly easy to work out which of these models has all the Freeview catch-up apps, plus YouTube and Wi-fi but you might have to dig a little deeper for your slo-mo requirement. I'd suggest scanning the manuals or asking in the owners' threads in this forum.

I have an old 720 but I use editor programs on my computer to make SLO-no videos which I find are very good quality and the speed can be changed. I have never tried to record in slo-mo although it is easy to slo-mo any video playing via the hand controller

Slow motion is always a playback function, you cannot record in slow motion.

You can vis the computer software then copy that via disc to the Panasonic’s hard drive but this is not possible if a blu ray disc is used, some will play ok BUT IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO GET VIDEO OFF A BLU RAY DISC, I have tried numerious software but nothing works but the machine will write to and copy from a blu ray disc created in the machine or if so-one had achieved this I would like to know the software used

Not sure if this is still a lived issue for the OP but I've just bought a reconditioned Panasonic DMR-PWT655 (originally a Currys exclusive?) and I'm impressed. I haven't tried out the apps (I have an Apple TV for that) but the recording and bluray playback is excellent.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom