Need A New Player,Mines Almost Dead.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by PikPik Carrot, Sep 6, 2005.

1. PikPik Carrot

PikPik Carrot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, my mico is crapping out on me so its time for a new player. Dont really want to spend more than around £150, I was looking at..

Denon DVD-1720
    Toshiba SD-350E
    Panasonic DVD-S97

All 3 have been given 5 stars in what Hifi.
    My needs are...

Excellent picture quality
    Multi Region (that can handle RCE protected discs fine)
    Can play VCD and SVCD
    Can play meny brands of DVD-r (verbatim,tayio yuden,ritek)
    Can play meny brands of CD-r ( same as above)
    RGB Scart Out
    Componet Out(not need at the mo, more future proof)

Not bothered about divx, i use my xbox for that.

Only found a region hack for the toshiba on videohelp.

The S97 though i read on panasonics site that its not available in the uk, if so is there a uk equivalent?....

So can anyone give me any insite into these players or sugguest a couple of others i could be looking at?

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    If you are not bothered about HDMI/DVI then have a look at the Pioneer 575 - £99 from Richer Sounds - now superceded by the Pioneer 585 but there are still some 575's left I think...PJ :)

3. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I'm with PJTX100 ,
    I cannot fault the performance-per-pound ratio with my 575. It plays -r/rw media, and even though it says it does'nt play +r/rw media anywhere in the instructions, mine does ?? It has all the connections you require, and even though you say you're not bothered about DIVX, it will play those aswell.
    Also it is multiregion from the off. Grab one while you still can I say.

All the best,

Graham.

4. PikPik Carrot

PikPik Carrot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see, Does the 575 play RCE discs fine aswell along with the media brands i mentioned? Only problem i have is that the pioneer 585 only got 3 stars for picture in the new what hifi mag and if its a replace ment for the 575 ether its gone down hill or the 575 have similar picture quality.

Quate from the 585 review ' images lack cleanness,detail and realism '. The other players got 5 for pic, and if the 585 pic is the same as the 575 then the toshiba 350 is also £99 and got 5 for pics.Only problem is i dont know too much about what the 350 plays.

Still would like to know if theres a equivalent to the panasonic S97 in the uk.

I will defos keep that 575 in mind. May get one anyways as its going cheap, but im will still keep a open mind about the others.

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    I saw that review too and I can only assume Pioneer have done something in the 585 to knock the edge off the image, 'caus the 575 is totally stellar.

Either that or the reviewer didn't bother to play with the detail and Block Noise reduction options (if the 585 has these). On an 83" screen the 575 picture cuts like a knife and the BNR makes the picture amazingly clean - there are zero artifacts.

I'm fairly sure the 575 does play RCE but I can't 100% confirm it...PJ :)

6. PikPik Carrot

PikPik Carrot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    83" screen... man. Mine is a 28" widescreen crt. Just looked at the back of the june issue of what hifi and the 575 there has 5 stars. Maybe i will go for that scene as i cant find out too much about the 350E. Might pop down richersounds on saturday.

Can u tell me what cdr and dvdr media u have tryed if any ?

Can anyone else with the 575 conferm if it plays RCE R1 discs ? and what media they have tryed. thanks.

Just been reading some users feedback over at videohelp all saying that it has a great picture. Although one users said they experianced flickering on the picture on some dvds when using a rgb scart on there sony tv.I also have a sony tv... anyone else had or noticed this flicking?

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    There are some other threads mentioning this. You'd be very unlucky if you experienced this, and if you do it's simple to return to Richer sounds anyway...PJ :)

8. Fluffy-Bunny

Fluffy-Bunny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 575 myself, had it for over a year now and its really very good, wouldn't say its the best player in the world, im sure there are now better players out there, I would be amazed if the new Denon 1920 doesn't better it.