Need a new NAS for media only Using Nvidia Sheild

canada16

Hey all
I have a very old TS-259 QNAP and it has finally stopped updating and my Nvidia Sheild will not longer play plex via the Qnap as its saying I need to update the server.

I think the TS-259 was released in 2010 so 10 years now and Qnap have not provided any decent updated in at least 2 years.

I kind of wanted to stay with Qnap as the unit is still running and solid and I know the system.

I need it for very high bit rate 4k video and 1080p with master audio ect.

I was looking at the TS-251B for £250.00 and obviously using my Nvidia Sheild as the media player.

One thing I find strange though is that my Plex fire stick still works fine, but the Nvidia sheild Plex keeps saying I need to update my NAS server as its out of date so I have to keep removing the newest release on the nvidia and it will finally see my NAS

It seems this is more of a Nvidia issue than a NAS issue, but either way my NAS is 10 years old now.

Thanks all

mickevh

Distinguished Member
I think your analysis is correct - sounds like the "problem" is with your NVidia, not your NAS. If the discs and fans are still spinning, there's no reason to believe it will have in some way "worn out" - certainly the software won't have.

Have you got anything else you can test against it (laptops, PC's, tablets, phones, TV, etc.) and prove whether the NAS or the shield is culpable. I'd try playing back from "bog standard" CIFS/SMB network shares (ie avoiding Plex) and see whether it works that way.

Of course, if it turns out the Shield is culpable, I'd be "fixing" that, not buying a new NAS.

Last edited:

canada16

The problem is that you can no longer update Plex on the Qnap anymore, well the NAS I have anyway.
I think your right as my Plex on my firestick works perfect and I can see and watch my media on my Laptop.
TBH I have not been that impressed with the £140.00 Nvidia Shield for Media, it has had a few problems over a 3 years I have owned it. On the other hand the £20.00 firestick has not missed a beat.

What has made me think about changing is that the NAS drive has fell out of RAID1 on 2 occasions but there is nothing wrong with the drives, so I am forced to move all my media to an external drive and reset the NAS again.

Its just a whole host of problems, and am hoping a new NAS can sort it out.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Fair enough. I don't know the NAS marketplace, but others here do.

I do like US based web site called SmallNetBuilder for SOHO kit reviews - he's a "one man band" but does a better job of many of objectively testing things, maybe have a look there and see if he's done any NAS's - just bear in mind he's in the USA if you are outside that territory so exact equipment spec. may vary, though often it's just the PSU.

next010

Distinguished Member
The problem is that you can no longer update Plex on the Qnap anymore, well the NAS I have anyway.
I think your right as my Plex on my firestick works perfect and I can see and watch my media on my Laptop.
TBH I have not been that impressed with the £140.00 Nvidia Shield for Media, it has had a few problems over a 3 years I have owned it. On the other hand the £20.00 firestick has not missed a beat.

What has made me think about changing is that the NAS drive has fell out of RAID1 on 2 occasions but there is nothing wrong with the drives, so I am forced to move all my media to an external drive and reset the NAS again.

Its just a whole host of problems, and am hoping a new NAS can sort it out.

Try MrMC (its on shield app store) and see if you can connect to the Plex server, you have 3 ways of connecting.
* manual which is your plex user name and password.
* pin sign-in which is the current method.
* gdm discovery which is the old method.

One of those might work and MrMC decodes everything locally, it wont invoke any server side transcoding, you can also change the skin via settings appearance.

canada16

Try MrMC (its on shield app store) and see if you can connect to the Plex server, you have 3 ways of connecting.
* manual which is your plex user name and password.
* pin sign-in which is the current method.
* gdm discovery which is the old method.

One of those might work and MrMC decodes everything locally, it wont invoke any server side transcoding, you can also change the skin via settings appearance.

Thanks I will give this a try
I still find it strange that on the Nvidia Sheild it says my server needs to be updated so I am forced to uninstall the plex update app on the sheild and it reverts back to a very old version of plex and then it will see my NAS, but on my firestick my plex see the NAS no problem and has the latest version.

Its obviously the Sheild Plex that has a issue with my old NAS, but still I guess I need a new NAS as its getting on 11 years old now, even though it still works fine. Maybe I will sell it for £50.00 or something on Ebay.

As one of my drives have fell out of raid, does anyone know a way of putting it back to Raid 1 without having to wipe both discs and rebuilding the Raid?

I dont really want to buy an external 3tb drive and get all my files off my NAS and then rebuild the raid1.

next010

Distinguished Member
Thanks I will give this a try
I still find it strange that on the Nvidia Sheild it says my server needs to be updated so I am forced to uninstall the plex update app on the sheild and it reverts back to a very old version of plex and then it will see my NAS, but on my firestick my plex see the NAS no problem and has the latest version.

Its obviously the Sheild Plex that has a issue with my old NAS, but still I guess I need a new NAS as its getting on 11 years old now, even though it still works fine. Maybe I will sell it for £50.00 or something on Ebay.

As one of my drives have fell out of raid, does anyone know a way of putting it back to Raid 1 without having to wipe both discs and rebuilding the Raid?

I dont really want to buy an external 3tb drive and get all my files off my NAS and then rebuild the raid1.

All I know is that the Shield version of Plex is made by Plex themselves, someone else could be making the FireTV version, it could be farmed out to some other team even if Plex are the branded developer.

For the QNAP RAID 1 is the volume degraded or are the drives operating as standalone ?

If RAID 1 is degraded go into the volume manager and eject/replace the damaged HDD, power off the system, replace HDD, reboot and it should auto rebuild RAID 1 array. If damaged drive is system drive that cannot be replaced (I think) and requires a full reinstall of the NAS.

If just standalone volumes they will be wiped if you create a new RAID 1 array.

chopples

Distinguished Member
as @mickevh says scrapping plex and just using it as an smb share with kodi or mrmc would be a workaround I ran a readynas102 like this for many years with no issue.

If plex is something you don’t want to give up then why not run the plex server direct from the shield? All you need to do is mount the NAS within the shield system settings then run the plex wizard and point to it.

canada16

I have tested both drives and they both say they are fine. I am thinking of ordering an external hard drive and loading on my media on it and wiping all the drives and restarting the nas from scratch.

I have now had the warning on my firestick that I need to update my Plex Server to continue to use it, so it seems my NAS is just way too old.

I can get around this by unintalling updates on the sheild, but I have to do this everytime I open Plex as it seems to update itself on my sheild , but its not playing games with my NAS.

The other alertnative is buying a new NAS and 2x4tb drives from Span for 498.00

canada16

Sorry I am not that Tech savy when I comes to NAS drives.
All I did was load my media onto the NAS when I got it, added plex and it ran fine for years, but over the past month it has started acting up, then one day I had a red light warning on the front of the QNAP saying my discs are in deg mode, but I have ran so many scans on the drives and they say they are in good health.
I have tried using plex soley and pointing it to my NAS but it wont see it, it seems that on this NAS I need to have the plex app installed on the NAS in order for it to work on my Sheild.
Is there a better cheaper option for me to use transmission to download and have my files remotley and use plex? I cant think of anything out there other than a NAS.
Can I use a single bay NAS to limit costs and if I buy an external drive as they are much cheaper, ask the NAS to autobackup all my media to the external drive once I download it?
Right now I am in RAID1 and I thought that was a backup up what was on Disk one, but it seems I was wrong, RAID1 is not a backup.
A single bay would only be like £120.00 and a new drive for 90.00, thats a lot cheaper than 495.00 from Span, which I dont reallt trust them as a company anyway, lots of horror stories.
Thanks for trying to help guys, really appreciate it

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
How about trying it, not using Plex?

If Kodi works it won't cost you anything. Your issue seems to be with Plex and your NAS. You NAS seems fine, it just won't run Plex. Try something else.

canada16

I can try Kodi, can I just install it from the play store on the sheild?
I do have a issue with the NAS as it has fell out of raid1 saying its in degredation mode, but both drives are fine.
Drive 1 is still downloading all my media
Drive 2 has stopped, but testing it, its completley fine
So I have lost RAID 1

canada16

I'd do a backup then as quickly as possible.

Yeah I have a seagate 4tb arrving tomorrow, an external drive.
Going to wipe the NAS and start over and see what happens.

I think I should buy a new NAS anyway.

I have seen a QNAP TS-251D-2G for £270.00, seems like a good deal for what it is.

canada16

Well I backed up all my data on an external drive and rebuid the RAID and moved my files back and so far I have not had any issues. I am unsure why it went into degredation mode as all is well.

But QNAP have now stopped supporting their Intel x32 bit systems so it is no longer getting any updates.

I guess thats fair enough as my NAS TS-259 is now over 10 years old, but still working great, so will sell it on ebay for a few quid as all the systems still work, even plex on my laptop, just weird it wont work now on the shield and fire stick, but looking online, everyone is in the same boat with the x32 intel systems.

I am thinking of buying a TS-251D or TS-253D as it supports additional memory, SSD drives ect, so a bit of future proofing.

As it stands right now, I am using VLC to watch my media which is not that great, but will have to wait until one of the above boxes go on sale, unless someone has one for sale LOL

The latest video from AVForums

LG SP11RA Soundbar Review Coming Soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom