1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a new Mic...

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by JayX, Sep 6, 2003.

1. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    my main "hobby" use for my camera is to record live music , generally thru very large sound systems. with my old jvc, the mic would surpress anything i'd throw at it (even in front of a 10k rig) but my sony mic on my new camera distorts at a much lower volume (in front of a ~1k rig the other night, i couldn't configure the audio to not distort, even using manual settings) so i want to buy a new mic.

1. £100 is pretty much the maximum i can really afford
    2. hotshoe mounting is preferable
    3. must be able to deal with very loud volumes
    4. range must be as good as possible to get bass/vocals/drums sounding as good as possible :)

i know the sony ecm719 mics generally sound very good, but they're shirt clippable, and personally i'd prefer something to mount onto the cam. any makes/models/where to get froms appreciated :)

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Take a look at www.keene.co.uk 'Audio' 'Microphones'

There are 2 camcorder mics:

SENNHEISER MICROPHONE MKE300 £129.99
    HAMA RMZ14 STEREO MICROPHONE £39.99

or www.maplin.co.uk 'Sound/Vision' 'microphones'

Super Cardioid Electret Condenser Zoom Video Microphone £24.99

HTH
    Mark.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Another place to try:

www.hiwaydigital.com 'Accessories' then from catagory selection select 'vocal mics'

ECM-HS1 Gun Mic £59.99
    CU-V10 sterio/zoom mic £79.99
    MZ-V3 mic £99.00

And many others.

Mark.

4. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    cheers, will definitely look up those. i have the sennheiser on my screen already, the one concern i have on this mic... not stereo. im not really sure how this will effect live music performances, as im guessing the cabs on either side aren't in stereo anyway (unless its a dj perhaps) and as i usually film at an angle, i find myself panning the audio. if this mic is good for recording music, i think i might go for it, as sennheisers reputation is top notch and it looks a cracking piece of kit :)

but will look up the others, thanks for the advice :)

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Whenever I run a PA system I run it in mono as most of the people watching/listening will be to the sides and would therefore miss half of the sound! I would therefore think that a mono mic would be ok for recording live music etc, but sterio if you can afford it would leave you a few other options for use in the future.

Mark.

6. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    excellent thanks for that :) well, even at mono the digital version of the sennheiser is £160 , which is outside of my budget atm, so if sennheiser do a stereo version (which i can't see mentioned anywhere) there's no way i can afford it heh :)

so either i wait a while or i find an alternative. its a shame i can't borrow a bunch of different mics and test them but thats life :)

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    www.hiwaydigital.com have the 300 (not D) for £99
    The 300D is exactly the same mic except it has extra shielding to prevent it picking up camcorder noise. For the type of use you will be getting from this mic I doubt any noise will be heard from the camcorder over the noise of a band!
    Give them a call and see if they will let you try it and return if it does pick up any noise.

Mark.

8. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    thats true, but i need a mic i can use for general purpose use too. hopefully the people who were moaning about the interference are the kind of people who moan their £1500 camcorder isn't the same as a £25,000 camera :)

yeah the hiwaydigital (presuming its the same as hiwayhifi) site is the one i've been mainly looking at , prices seem good.. so i can see me going for this one. thanks :)

9. Tunes Man

Tunes Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own a Sony VX2000 and I've never heard bad quality sound on what the built in mic picks up. Are all mics that are built in to camcorders all that bad? I realize that my camcorder is one of the top Sony consumer cams but even on some of my not so expensive camcorders, the sound on the built in mic wasn't all that bad.
    I suppose for certain applications you probably need a top quality
    mic though. Tunes Man.

10. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    the quality of the mics isn't usually too bad, the thing that lets a lot down is the range, the maximum db level they can handle, and the fact they pick up a lot of motor noise, or the camera being operated.

i have no problem with the quality on my sony mic, its just the simple fact it can't cope with very loud music. hopefully borrowing a mic to record an acoustic set tomorrow, but if not i'll see if thats more of an acceptable volume for the camera to deal with.

11. torrent

torrent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JayX, have you checked your cams manual to see if you have a Mic Attenuator setting? This would help prevent any distortion.