nEED A NEW GRAPIC CARD WITH 4K RESOLUTION

templer

Hi guys,
Could you please help me to figure out what graphic card or any other components I need to buy for my PC in order to be able to increase the resolution of the screen to 4K as Ive recently bought a new UHD TV and use it as a monitor with my desktop. My highest present graphic card res is 1080p.
It would be still better if I could also watch videos in 4K from computer (included those recorded by my Note 3). I can do it from memory stick but it takes time to copy the file from mobile to PC and from PC to memory stick and then I can watch the 4k video by connecting the stick to TV.
Below you will find details about my PC and the new TV.
Many thanks

Capella ST21

• Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
  • AMD Athlon II X4 620 Processor
  • 4096MB Corsair DDR II Memory
  • 1000GB SATA II Seagate Ultra Fast Hard Disk Space
  • NEC 7200 Multi Format DVD/CD ReWriter
  • ATI Radeon 4350 1024MB Performance Graphics
  • 5.1 High Definition Surround Sound
  • Intel Deluxe Motherboard
  • 10/100 Ethernet LAN
  • 12 x USB2 Ports
  • 800w Silent PSU
SAMSUNG 4K TV - SAMSUNG UE40HU6900
40 inch 4K Ultra HD LED Smart TV Freeview HD

UHD
You can enjoy the benefits of UHD today. Samsung's innovative 4 step UHD upscaling technology is a superior image processing technique that converts lower resolution content such as live TV and Blu-ray discs to stunningly sharper images, so you can now enjoy all your favourite TV shows and movies in more detail and clarity than ever before.

UHD DIMMING
Experience Crystal clear images with superior contrast optimised for UHD images. Samsung's UHD Dimming technology precisely adjusts colour, contrast and detail in every image.

LATEST UHD STANDARDS
The UE40HU6900 supports the latest UHD standards, including HEVC; a new video compression standard that enables the possibility of streaming UHD content over the internet. The 6900-series is HDMI 2.0 compliant and therefore can support UHD video playback at up to 60 frames per second. The new HDMI 2.0 standard has been designed to allow cables to transfer high amounts of information (video/audio) along an HDMI cable between devices such as set-top boxes and TVs. Additionally, the UE40HU6900 is HDCP 2.2 compliant, this ensures copyrighted UHD content is correctly read and played by the TV.

QUAD CORE
The powerful Quad Core processor in the UE40HU6900 significantly boosts performance with faster access to Smart features and true multitasking capabilities. Enjoy super fast app response times, watch TV while simultaneously taking a Skype call, or carry on viewing your favourite programme whilst using an app. It's now even easier to toggle between apps, online services and on-air TV to enjoy a truly seamless TV experience.

S RECOMMENDATION WITH VOICE INTERACTION
S Recommendation with Voice Interaction lets you discover more of the TV you love by suggesting what's new to watch based on what you like. It intelligently learns your preferences; the more you watch the smarter it gets. All you need to do is ask your TV to find you something to watch, it will respond to your natural voice and instantly search Live TV, video on demand services and apps to recommend TV and online content tailored to you. Now you'll always know what's on without the need to look for it.

SMART HUB
The industry's reference Smart platform just got better. The leading Smart TV experience is now even more powerful, with faster access to Smart features, true multitasking and an intuitive interface. The Smart Hub intelligently organises and manages all your content into five easy to navigate panels: On TV; Movies & TV Shows; Multimedia; Apps; and Games. Come and join over 1 million weekly users accessing the Samsung Smart Hub, and check out samsung.com for the latest Smart entertainment offers in movies, TV, Sports, Kids', Music and Lifestyle.

If you've been waiting for 4K Ultra-HD to come down in price, then, thanks to the Samsung UE40HU6900, now is the time!

Screen technology LED
Screen size 40"
Resolution 3840 x 2160
PICTURE QUALITY Processing rate 200 Hz
Dynamic contrast ratio Mega DCR
- App store
- Custom homepage
- Full internet browser
- Social media: Facebook, Twitter
- Skype compatible
CONNECTIVITY WiFi Built-in WiFi
Ethernet Yes
Connections - HDMI x 4
- SCART x 1
- Component input x 1
- Composite input x 1
- USB 2.0 x 3
TUNER TV tuner DVB-S2 Freesat HD Tuner
AUDIO Speakers 2
Audio power 20 W
Mono / Stereo sound Stereo
Sound enhancement - DTS Studio Sound
- DTS Premium Sound 5.1
- Dolby MS11

Riven

4K Monitor Requirements and Usage - Puget Custom Computers

4k General Usage:
"Subjectively, we noticed no performance difference with any of the cards during any of our testing. The GPU load never got above 50% with any of the video cards, although the higher end cards understandably performed the same functions at a lower load percentage than the lower end cards."

Going by that post, if you're just interested in watching movies. A 2Gb GTX 660 should be fine and they are going for £133ish on amazon with free delivery. If you aren't on budget or might play games in the future you can always get a better GPU instead.

What motherboard do you have ?

Last edited:

templer

Thanks mate,
This card looks good to me.
Concerning your question all I know is that it is "Intel Deluxe Motherboard"
Do you need more info?
The computer is like 3 year old...

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I'm surprised your 4350 only does '1080p', most cards of that age would do 2560x1600. Looking at the manual for your TV Samsung is recommending 1920x1080 for computer connections so the screen may be reporting that as it's maximum resolution. A 4350 won't ouput 3840x2160 or provide video playback support though.

The GTX 660 isn't an ideal solution. I'd be concerned about whether your system will handle it - that power supply looks dubiously large for such a low power system (which usually means the quality is low and it can't provide much power in practice).

More relevantly though, it supports [email protected] through DisplayPort which your screen doesn't have. You'd be limited to 30hz if you were using the HDMI output. Unless you're in a great hurry for it then I would wait a year, until HDMI 2.0 support filters into graphics cards (it was only released half a year ago, graphics card designs tend to get updated every year and a half)

Last edited:

next010

Distinguished Member
Even though your TV has HDMI 2.0 there are no GPU's that have that yet so HDMI 1.4 means your limited to UHD/4K at 30Hz output.

Most current GPU's support DisplayPort 1.2 which can do UHD/4K at 60Hz but there are no adapters available yet to convert that into HDMI 2.0.

At least thats my understanding of the situation, your PC defaults to 60Hz output so things might feel a bit sluggish running at 30Hz but you may or may or may not notice that.

Finally Windows 7 is not at all suited to UHD resolutions it handles scaling to such high res terribly, partly fault of MS and partly fault of app developers, updating to Windows 8.1 will help not for the desktop apps but the metro/modern apps (stuff in windows store) all support scaling to ultra high resolutions.

edit: Beaten by Endless suggest doing what he says and wait for HDMI2 GPU.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Finally Windows 7 is not at all suited to UHD resolutions it handles scaling to such high res terribly, partly fault of MS and partly fault of app developers, updating to Windows 8.1 will help not for the desktop apps but the metro/modern apps (stuff in windows store) all support scaling to ultra high resolutions.

I haven't been following the debate that closely but I thought Microsoft had been doing a pretty good job. They provided a resolution independent GUI back in 2006, including support on XP, and updated all of their major programs to use it (office, visual studio etc.). Where would you say they've failed?

next010

Distinguished Member
No not really at all (prior to win 8), some MS apps are okay (as you say office etc) but even those are not entirely free from problems and other issues. Many third party desktop apps on Windows are horrible.

The one thing going for the metro/modern apps is they fix all that bad stuff and scale well to UHD and high PPI displays. Classic win32 desktop apps my guess is will never get fixed ever and it seems modern apps will now be usable in the future on the win 8 u2 or win 9 desktop.

Win 8.1 desktop handles better too, nice article on it here.

templer

Thanks guys,
In this case I see I have to forget about 4k videos from my computer but I would like to buy an inexpensive card so that I could watch photos in 4K res as now I am doing it using the memory stick and the quality is stunning but unfortunately every time I have to transfer new photos to the memory stick.
Could you suggest which card should I buy for this purpose and will it fit the motherboard?

templer

Does the quote below mean I wont be able to increase resolution even if I buy a card with 4k res?:
'Looking at the manual for your TV Samsung is recommending 1920x1080 for computer connections so the screen may be reporting that as it's maximum [email protected]

witchdrash

Can anyone answer my last question please?

Pretty much any card will work I have an amd Radeon 6950 which is a fairly old card now. The tv, as I have exactly the same set, does report 4k as an available resolution but I needed to force the resolution to 4k with a utility, I'll find its name when I get home.

The 6950 will happily do both video and photos at 4k so anything newer should do it with ease.

Be aware the only cards that will provide a signal greater than 30hz will be the gtx 970 and gtx 980 as they have hdmi 2 so the desktop will initially appear quite sluggish but you get used to it really quickly and for watching video or browsing photos that won't be an issue

Edit: stupid tiny keyboard on phone means I type badly:)

templer

Pretty much any card will work I have an amd Radeon 6950 which is a fairly old card now. The tv, as I have exactly the same set, does report 4k as an available resolution but I needed to force the resolution to 4k with a utility, I'll find its name when I get home.

The 6950 will happily do both video and photos at 4k so anything newer should do it with ease.

Be aware the only cards that will provide a signal greater than 30hz will be the gtx 970 and gtx 980 as they have hdmi 2 so the desktop will initially appear quite sluggish but you get used to it really quickly and for watching video or browsing photos that won't be an issue

Edit: stupid tiny keyboard on phone means I type badly:)

Many thanks mate. That's very kind of you.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom