Need a new free view box( repost from another thread)

ondrewskeo

Standard Member
Hello my Panasonic dvd recorder has finally packed in and I’ve decided to go for a free view box instead. However I would like to record programs onto an ext HD and transfer to my laptop. What’s the best/reasonably priced options out there? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

teeveedee

Hello my Panasonic dvd recorder has finally packed in and I’ve decided to go for a free view box instead. However I would like to record programs onto an ext HD and transfer to my laptop. What’s the best/reasonably priced options out there? Thanks in advance.
Errr, there aren't any. Freeview recordings on most devices are encrypted to prevent such a thing being done. For example, most modern TVs have built-in recording capability to external USB drive, but the recorded files are only viewable on the TV that made them. You can't simply plug and play on any other device.
Similarly, in the current range of Freeview recording boxes made by Humax, Manhattan and Panasonic for example, none of them have the ability to record to an external device. The Humax Aura allows recorded content to be transferred to a mobile device for viewing via the Humax Aura app whilst away from home, but again, the files cannot be viewed or transferred easily to any other device.

ondrewskeo

Standard Member
Aah I see thanks. How am I able to do it with my technomate multi satellite box? Is it the fact its connected to a dish rather than a simple freeview window ariel? thanks

teeveedee

Aah I see thanks. How am I able to do it with my technomate multi satellite box? Is it the fact its connected to a dish rather than a simple freeview window ariel? thanks
I'd guess because the Technomate boxes are Linux based and not Freesat branded, and are therefore possibly not tied to the same copyright control measures.
Freeview via a terrestrial aerial is much more controlled, though there is a Technomate TM-8000 box with both satellite and terrestrial tuners which, on paper, looks like it can record easily to a removable external HD. Whether or not these recordings are easily viewable on another device however, is not mentioned.

winston2010

Freeview via a terrestrial aerial is much more controlled, though there is a Technomate TM-8000 box with both satellite and terrestrial tuners which, on paper, looks like it can record easily to a removable external HD. Whether or not these recordings are easily viewable on another device however, is not mentioned.
There are plenty of generic DVB-T/T2 boxes out there through the usual on line sources which hopefully don’t lock recordings to one device. One of the better ones is branded August. It is sold as a Freeview HD receiver but they are lying, it is not Freeview but a generic DVB-T2 receiver. Having said that it works very well and does not get confused over shared ‘channels’ on one stream. No MHEG text however.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom