Need a new desktop PC for under 500quid

simon_blay

Standard Member
Im fed up with my Acer laptop and want a desktop pc for under 500 quid. Cant really build it myself, dont need a particularly big hard drvie, altho would like 2gb memory if poss...

Any ideas at all?

Dankeech

I've not had good experiences with Dell Customer Service & Support, but won't go into the specifics.

I'm an HP Compaq guy, and would recommend getting an Out-Of-Production, but still brand new PC off auctions etc.

I picked up a 3.2Ghz 512Mb DC7100 Small Form Factor PC for £160 off an auction site. It was boxed, completely unused and is fantastic for my needs (Upgraded to 1.5Gb, FullHD gfx card, DVDRW, 500Gb HDD, Wifi, Creative X-Fi Xtreme Audio sound card, Logitech DiNovo cordless desktop and bill still falls in under £400:thumbsup:

Rock-solid system and one of the most established PC's for business. All in all I'm extremely happy.

Worth considering.

Dan.

amjedm

In the past 2/3 years I've bought 1 laptop and 3 desktops for relatives and have very impressed with their customer service.

On the one occasion they forgot to refund me for the delivery charge when I returned a laptop. I had calls every day or two to give me an update and as promised the money was back in my account within a week

I have to acknowledge it used to be pretty bad though.

D

Deleted member 188495

easy, make one

here is what i think you should get

cpu- e6550- 105 pounds
motherboard- gigabyte ga p35 ds3r- 85 pounds
graphics- x1950 pro 256- 85 pounds
ram- ocz platinum revision 2- 70 pounds
power supply- hiper type m 580 watts- 45 pounds
case- Xion Stacker Black Full - 45 pounds
XP/vista- 60 pounds
hardrive - Maxtor STM3250310AS 250GB- 35 pounds

comes to 530 pounds

all the prices are from ebuyer you can probably find it cheaper if you search.

Dankeech

In the past 2/3 years I've bought 1 laptop and 3 desktops for relatives and have very impressed with their customer service.

On the one occasion they forgot to refund me for the delivery charge when I returned a laptop. I had calls every day or two to give me an update and as promised the money was back in my account within a week

I have to acknowledge it used to be pretty bad though.

I'm IT Tech for my work, dealing heavily with HP Compaq, IBM, Dell & Fujitsu. I also aid friends and their families with issues when they arise.

I have to say I've dealt with some shocking examples personally, but realise others may have had good experience. I won't go into these as could start a whole new thread and my intention isn't to bash Dell.

I'm glad there's favour towards Dell and clearly they can do things right and consistently as amjedm, but my faith in Dell through my own personal experience has been shattered repeatedly.

I'd like to put something in favour also of HP Compaq. If you buy one of the Business range of Desktops (Evo's, ie DC7100, DC5100, DX5150, DC7600, DC7700, DX2200 etc.) then you should be expecting to get a 3yr onsite warranty, which is way beyond the Dell offerings, often getting 1yr warranty, only 3 months onsite.

I've bought a DC7100 Small Form Factor myself and although 2 systems out of date of production, I'd be suprised if I hadn't got more than a year left on the warranty from point of manufacture, let alone what HP COmpaq may give me as grace beyond that as it's a new boxed PC.

I'm happy and have confidence in the machine I have and the support I'll recieve on aftersales. I hope the original poster also gets this peace of mind, whatever the decision made.

Anyways, all have a fantastic weekend and may catch you on-thread play-depending :devil:

Edit: Just did a warranty check on my PC brought about 2yrs old but unused - I still have 12 months onsite warranty on it.

Dan.

The latest video from AVForums

Bowers PI7 wireless in-ear headphones review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom