Need a new CD Player - not sure if its worth spending quite a bit

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by deadmoon, May 2, 2007.

1. deadmoon

deadmoon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I just got new speakers & an amp, and now need a cd player.

I am tempted to just get a cheap one (about 150 quid ish), but want to know if its worth me spending more (maybe upto about 200 quid). Is there really that much difference in them?

Can anyone recommend some (in silver)?

edit -
    I've just come across this - http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2830/source/kelkoo - DENON DCD700AE CD PLAYER, for £200, and it says it plays MP3s and WMAs, which would be very handy, could then burn loads of mp3s to one cd and would hold a lot more than a normal audio cd. Is it any good?

2. matt303

matt303

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    CD players can be quite different, if you want to hear the difference simply find a local retailer that has some players in your price range and book a demo.

3. deadmoon

deadmoon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tbh, think now i'll just go after something cheap and order it online. Anyone got any reccomendations as to what is good value for money, online?

4. harrygrey382

harrygrey382

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you'd get some awesome value if you went second hand. £150 could get you something super like a Meridian 206, would kick anything in the new budget of £200, hell, maybe double that. Plenty others too...

5. Jonesi

Jonesi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a Marantz CD63 Mk2 KI Signature via eBay for £100 and would recommend one. I prefer the sound to that of my Cambridge Audio Azur 640C (purchased from Richer Sounds for £250 four years ago!)

What amp and speakers do you have?

6. deadmoon

deadmoon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a quick look, and it seems that model is about 10 years old!!??? Surely newer cd players are far better quality...??

7. matt303

matt303

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    A few weeks back I took my Arcam Alpha 6 CD player and Delta 90 amp around to a mates house so he could hear his Kef iQ5 speakers running with a good CD player and amp rather than the 360 and AV amp he was using. Needless to say the CD player made a big difference and the amp further improved things, so he went and spent £450 on an Arcam Diva CD73. I've asked him how he's getting on with it and he thinks my Alpha 6 has the edge over it, especially with how well it presents an almost 3D sound. So there are some used bargains to be got if you know what to look for, you can always buy try and sell on with used stuff until you settle on something.

8. Light_User

Light_User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I thought the same and recently bought a secondhand NAD C541i cd player circa 2003 "best buy", rrp £320 etc, to replace my Rotel rcd-950, made in 1996 (£400 ish?) and on its last legs. Unfortunately, the Rotel slaughters it :eek: :thumbsdow .

Newer is no guarantee to be better.

9. MikeFaulkner

MikeFaulkner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I just picked up an Arcam Diva CD62 for £70 and it is absolutely superb, OK it didn't come with the correct remote, but what the hell. Second hand is fine provided you can get some sort of guarantee, even if it is only a couple of months.

10. jimok78

jimok78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Rega Apollo has a good rep but is a bit above your budget.