• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

need a new car pump

mjn

Distinguished Member
You've an inflatable car?

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Carry it around with you?
In the car, or do you walk around rescuing deflated tyres?
Pumperman!!!

FWIW, I have a twin-barrel Michelin footpump in the boot.
Prefer it to those awful electric pumps with wires and BRRRRRRRR noise.
There is a squeak when I use it though.
Unsure if it's the pump or me.

car-man

Carry it around with you?
In the car, or do you walk around rescuing deflated tyres?
Pumperman!!!

FWIW, I have a twin-barrel Michelin footpump in the boot.
Prefer it to those awful electric pumps with wires and BRRRRRRRR noise.
There is a squeak when I use it though.
Unsure if it's the pump or me.

I think you will find the squeak is coming from the rods that go into the pump barrels....a dab of grease on the shafts should fix it.

Hem

Personally I would steer clear of the Michelin twin barrel foot pump, I have one at it is an extremely poorly constructed product which is only around 18 months old and already about to be consigned to the bin. Check Amazon for an array of negative reviews on this item.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Personally I would steer clear of the Michelin twin barrel foot pump, I have one at it is an extremely poorly constructed product which is only around 18 months old and already about to be consigned to the bin. Check Amazon for an array of negative reviews on this item.

Must have changed factories or something then, mine is years old.
Gets weekly use by me and often borrowed by colleagues too bloody lazy to buy their own....

un1eash

Distinguished Member
Dont bother with electric ones, ive had 3 now and they all broke after very little use. I stick with my cheap £5 foot pump now.

skhan786

Foot pump take too long to pump up theh tyres

And yes electric pumps break quick well the ones I got anyways thatss why I'm asking here if anyone has used a pump and they happy with it please do let me know

lovegroova

Michelin Twin Barrel here too.

My newer one seems to be much worse quality than my older one.

Last edited:

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Del45 said:
A tip for you here, bicycle pumps work on a car, I have one of these...

Bontrager Charger Pump | Evans Cycles

And it's better than any foot pump I have owned.

The only problem with this is volume.
Although a bike tyre runs higher psi than a car, there's nowhere near the same volume of air.
So a bike pump doesn't have to 'move' as much air to increase psi in a bike tyre.
Subsequently, you could find yourself having to put a lot of effort in to get even 1psi difference in your car tyre.
And if you're looking at more than a few psi, you could be there for ages.
So, yes, a bike pump will work, but it's a bit like using a syringe to refuel your car.

Last edited:

bearman3784

Distinguished Member

FZR400RRSP

Banned
shahedz said:
I just go BP 20p and a lot quicker and less hassel

If you're relying on the garage airline pressure gauge, good luck with that.
Notoriously inaccurate.
If you're merely using their line and checking the pressure yourself, fair enough.
I do pressures weekly on two cars.
So that would be 40p a week = £20 a year.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
I read an IAM study report that said even the digital ones they measured were between 5% and 8% out at 30 psi.
Not good enough for me.
I get my digital gauge checked every now and then by a calibration company we use for our scales and other measuring equipment at work.
Sounds like I'm anal about tyre pressures, which isn't the case.
I'm just one of those drivers that can 'feel' a drop in pressure of only a few psi in any of my tyres.
Going by the visibly soft tyres you see around, many drivers only care once their wheels start rubbing the road.....

jenam93

Another vote for the Michelin twin barrel from me. For checking Tyre pressures and minor inflations I would say you would almost have all finished by the time you unpack a digital one and get the cables sorted.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom