need a new boiler

shahedz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have a 3 bedroom house, in total has 7 radiators , i need a boiler, i need a combination boiler. can anyone recommend anything ,, preferbly below £800.

this is going to now be my 5th boiler in 19 years, so i really want one thats gonna last!! :lease:

eBay? Seriously, ask an independent plumber for his / her view. Is there a plumbers forum somewhere on line?

what i intend to do , is get recommendations and then instruct the plumber to get the model recommended, cant be bothered with ebay for a boiler, and also dont want to rely on the plumber too much as i dont know if i am being taken for a ride

Can't give you a specific model number but take a look at Vailant boilers.

Richie.

Make sure it can do at least 100,000 BTU's. Valiant, Ferroli & Potterton are both good makes of boiler. Try these people for supplies.

http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/

Make sure it is fitted by a Corgi Approved Engineer. Its against the law if its not. :)

Try Viessman, they make boilers, and are a little known company, currently undercutting some of the bigger players

I have a Ferolli combination condenser boiler which is excellent and very efficient.

I've refurbed a few properties over the last few years, and now I always go with Worcester Boilers, which I had recommended to me many years ago by a mate who was a plumber... (as opposed to a plumbers mate :rolleyes: )

I've not had a problem at all with any Worcester, but I have had problems with Halstead & Valiant.

They're part of the Bosch group too.

Orson said:
I've refurbed a few properties over the last few years, and now I always go with Worcester Boilers, which I had recommended to me many years ago by a mate who was a plumber... (as opposed to a plumbers mate :rolleyes: )

I've not had a problem at all with any Worcester, but I have had problems with Halstead & Valiant.

They're part of the Bosch group too.

Worcester make good boilers but their customer service if they go wrong is terrible. I run a refurbishment company in central London. We have had customers without heating for weeks on a brand new boiler. Faulty pcb. The customer service desk couldnt care and when we tell them what the problem is they dont turn up with right tools or parts to fix the problem. Loads of no shows and long waits.

When they work thay are very good but god help you if they go wrong.

:)

I have just had a Worcester 28i Junior combi boiler fitted this week to my 3 bedroom house with 7 radiators.
I was recomended this boiler by my brother, who is a plumber
I'm very pleased with it . I think it would be roughly around the £800 mark (don't know about fitting £ though)

the worcester sounds good, but from Razors description of their customer services it has put me off, as for some reason boilers do not agree with me. and i think that i would need the customer services, guys is there any models in particular?

Im a heating engineer, i would recomend a ideal isar or a baxi ,both condensing models , i fit around 5 a week and of the isar, 1 broke down after 6months and the baxi models in 18months none of the boilers failed or had any faults .

Whatever you do not get a ravenheat boiler :eek: :mad: :( lol

neilios said:
Im a heating engineer, i would recomend a ideal isar or a baxi ,both condensing models , i fit around 5 a week and of the isar, 1 broke down after 6months and the baxi models in 18months none of the boilers failed or had any faults .

Whatever you do not get a ravenheat boiler :eek: :mad: :( lol

You're not anywhere near St Albans are you? I need a coppper cylinder replaced.

Not sure how true this is but I heard that some condensing boilers have aluminium heat exchangers & these are the ones to avoid - experts, what do you think?

Hmm i mentioned that point at a recent boiler manufacture training course ,and i dont think the technician appreciated my comments lol. :devil:

I personally haven,t had any problems but it does get brought up quite often by various plumbers ,according to the technician ,the boilers have been fitted incorrectly. :nono:

Unfortunatly i live in halifax west yorks so its a little bit too far for me to travel lol ,people keep telling me i should move down south because there,s loads of work .

The trouble is there,s a plumber on every street corner in yorkshire .

The trouble with boilers is, every engineer has there own opinion a bit like av equipment lol,from my experience as an installer the boilers i mentioned above are the boilers that so far have been a 100 percent reliable for me .

According to manufacturers using aluminium heat exchangers eliminate the possibility of acid corrosion and offer much longer lasting durability.

So read into that you want ,when an installer comes to fit a boiler ,make sure they have all the relevant qualifications and training eg acs, part l,etc.

Ask as many questions as you like ,good installers wont be bothered about this and will be only too willing to help .

Do a bit of research into s/steel h/exchangers one I just looked at had a 10 yr guarentee

shahedz said:
i have a 3 bedroom house, in total has 7 radiators , i need a boiler, i need a combination boiler. can anyone recommend anything ,, preferbly below £800.

this is going to now be my 5th boiler in 19 years, so i really want one thats gonna last!! :lease:

I don't think you can guarantee any of them lasting particurally long. Everything is price driven and people just won't pay up front for better quality. I've fitted a couple of Ferroli boilers. The fan on one of them went after a month but was quickly replaced by the service agents.

Buy from here at silly prices. You may need to give them a call to get boiler only costs.

All condensing boilers must be fitted to manufacturers instructions ,eg correct flow rates ,heat differential between flow and return pipes ,all new systems should be flushed and then inhibitor added etc ,etc .

Basically if the manufacturers find a system has not been correctly installed and a problem occurs eg rotting heat exchanger due to alledged installation faults they blame the installer .
The problem is the goverment has to meet certain greenhouse gas targets so to do this they have pushed these new regs on to manufacturers and installers .

Thats why all new new boilers are supposed to be super duper high effiency condensing boilers even though like peridot says most customers dont want to pay .

And dont get me started on the relevance of corgi eg another tax on gas installers which actually do very little to protect the average joe .

Sorry for the rant lol.

neilios,
Do I want to know why you lol at Ravenheat?
I bought one cheap at B&Q and can't find anyone who will fit it around here, hence my question in the other thread :)

Dave

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom