1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need a new boiler

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by shahedz, Oct 5, 2005.

1. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,231
    i have a 3 bedroom house, in total has 7 radiators , i need a boiler, i need a combination boiler. can anyone recommend anything ,, preferbly below £800.

this is going to now be my 5th boiler in 19 years, so i really want one thats gonna last!! :lease:

2. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    eBay? Seriously, ask an independent plumber for his / her view. Is there a plumbers forum somewhere on line?

3. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,231
    what i intend to do , is get recommendations and then instruct the plumber to get the model recommended, cant be bothered with ebay for a boiler, and also dont want to rely on the plumber too much as i dont know if i am being taken for a ride

4. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Can't give you a specific model number but take a look at Vailant boilers.

Richie.

5. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,231
    the plumber recommended a valiant condenser boiler A24 or something like that, so i'm glad he's not recommending junk then!

6. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Make sure it can do at least 100,000 BTU's. Valiant, Ferroli & Potterton are both good makes of boiler. Try these people for supplies.

http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/

Make sure it is fitted by a Corgi Approved Engineer. Its against the law if its not. :)

7. MrBlofeldt

MrBlofeldt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    Try Viessman, they make boilers, and are a little known company, currently undercutting some of the bigger players

8. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    I have a Ferolli combination condenser boiler which is excellent and very efficient.

9. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
  10. Orson

Orson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +675
    I've refurbed a few properties over the last few years, and now I always go with Worcester Boilers, which I had recommended to me many years ago by a mate who was a plumber... (as opposed to a plumbers mate :rolleyes: )

I've not had a problem at all with any Worcester, but I have had problems with Halstead & Valiant.

They're part of the Bosch group too.

11. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508

Worcester make good boilers but their customer service if they go wrong is terrible. I run a refurbishment company in central London. We have had customers without heating for weeks on a brand new boiler. Faulty pcb. The customer service desk couldnt care and when we tell them what the problem is they dont turn up with right tools or parts to fix the problem. Loads of no shows and long waits.

When they work thay are very good but god help you if they go wrong.

:)

12. Pebble

Pebble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have just had a Worcester 28i Junior combi boiler fitted this week to my 3 bedroom house with 7 radiators.
    I was recomended this boiler by my brother, who is a plumber
    I'm very pleased with it . I think it would be roughly around the £800 mark (don't know about fitting £ though)

13. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,231
    the worcester sounds good, but from Razors description of their customer services it has put me off, as for some reason boilers do not agree with me. and i think that i would need the customer services, guys is there any models in particular?

14. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,231
    cheers for the link GaryB have posted a thread there too! :thumbsup:

15. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,512
    Im a heating engineer, i would recomend a ideal isar or a baxi ,both condensing models , i fit around 5 a week and of the isar, 1 broke down after 6months and the baxi models in 18months none of the boilers failed or had any faults .

Whatever you do not get a ravenheat boiler :eek: :mad: :( lol

16. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    You're not anywhere near St Albans are you? I need a coppper cylinder replaced.

17. ufitsy

ufitsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +334
    Not sure how true this is but I heard that some condensing boilers have aluminium heat exchangers & these are the ones to avoid - experts, what do you think?

18. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,231
    neiolios any models in particular? does anyone else recommend them? whats alll this about aluminium heat exchangers :eek:

19. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,512
    Hmm i mentioned that point at a recent boiler manufacture training course ,and i dont think the technician appreciated my comments lol. :devil:

I personally haven,t had any problems but it does get brought up quite often by various plumbers ,according to the technician ,the boilers have been fitted incorrectly. :nono:

Unfortunatly i live in halifax west yorks so its a little bit too far for me to travel lol ,people keep telling me i should move down south because there,s loads of work .

The trouble is there,s a plumber on every street corner in yorkshire .

20. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    I bought an Alpha boiler two years ago and have had nothing go wrong withit so far.

21. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,512
    The trouble with boilers is, every engineer has there own opinion a bit like av equipment lol,from my experience as an installer the boilers i mentioned above are the boilers that so far have been a 100 percent reliable for me .

According to manufacturers using aluminium heat exchangers eliminate the possibility of acid corrosion and offer much longer lasting durability.

So read into that you want ,when an installer comes to fit a boiler ,make sure they have all the relevant qualifications and training eg acs, part l,etc.

Ask as many questions as you like ,good installers wont be bothered about this and will be only too willing to help .

22. ufitsy

ufitsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +334
    Do a bit of research into s/steel h/exchangers one I just looked at had a 10 yr guarentee

23. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    I don't think you can guarantee any of them lasting particurally long. Everything is price driven and people just won't pay up front for better quality. I've fitted a couple of Ferroli boilers. The fan on one of them went after a month but was quickly replaced by the service agents.

Buy from here at silly prices. You may need to give them a call to get boiler only costs.

24. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,512
    All condensing boilers must be fitted to manufacturers instructions ,eg correct flow rates ,heat differential between flow and return pipes ,all new systems should be flushed and then inhibitor added etc ,etc .

Basically if the manufacturers find a system has not been correctly installed and a problem occurs eg rotting heat exchanger due to alledged installation faults they blame the installer .
    The problem is the goverment has to meet certain greenhouse gas targets so to do this they have pushed these new regs on to manufacturers and installers .

Thats why all new new boilers are supposed to be super duper high effiency condensing boilers even though like peridot says most customers dont want to pay .

And dont get me started on the relevance of corgi eg another tax on gas installers which actually do very little to protect the average joe .

Sorry for the rant lol.

25. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29,755
    neilios,
    Do I want to know why you lol at Ravenheat?
    I bought one cheap at B&Q and can't find anyone who will fit it around here, hence my question in the other thread :)

Dave

26. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,512
    Hope i didnt cause any offence reg ,the ravenheat boilers are a bit bob ,fitted a johnson and starley reno condenser today for the first time ,and the bugger showed up with a pcb fault straight away ,so the poor customer has to wait till monday for the company engineer to fix it .

So i wouldnt recommend them either lol.

27. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,231
    this is really filling me withthe confidence i need right now,need to do a lot more research, but think i may go with a glow worm, what do you guys think?

28. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,512
    The best condensing combi you can buy are the Viessmann Vitodens these boilers have a 10 yr warranty on the stainless steel heat exchangers .

Or you can have a look at a keston or a Vaillant Ecomax Pro very quiet reliable boiler.

29. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    :D I know i very good lady i will take as part exchange..

30. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,566
    I would recommend to not go with a small plumber! A lot of the customer services operations of the boiler providers operate on a minimum of 48 hours response. Which you may not like.
    We had an emergency with a leak in the expansion tank and the oil tank. Luckily gas was installed the week before for our new kitchen. So we said out with all the rubbish and in with the biggest combination boiler you can get. It was Worchest-Bosch Highflow 400 Electronic (so no flame on standby....). My god it was the biggest pile of sh&*t...After three visits back our plumber wasn't interested anymore, and didn't have the time. He wouldn't chase up the distributor and the distributor just distributes...And in my experience most independent trades men are like that. All the talk is nice when you want to buy something, but support and warranty is paperwork and costs they don't like....
    Anyway British Gas did take us on a home start contract or whatever it is called. After 18 visits even they were getting fed up replacing every part of this boiler and finally they got it arranged on our behalf to get the thing changed...The boiler has now been running without a single hesitation for the last 3 years! Doesn't even stop for a service, and what was it...Shoddy workmanship when installing the boiler in such a place that couldn't be seen as long as the boiler was still in place....

Do yourself a favour and forget your local plumber to do this work. Make certain there is a big company with proper customer service to support you. British Gas came in 3 hours when they realised we had a 6 week old baby....

I wouldn't be too put off of Worchest-Bosch, just remember that none of these companies are equipped to support consumers directly...