1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a new Av receiver for my B&W 603 S3's

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dino2021, Mar 14, 2005.

1. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    Looking for a new av amp/receiver to match my 603s I initially bought a marantz SR4200 a few years ago which didnt seem to give bad results.
    Will be working also with the rest of the B&W DS6 S3's when i buy them :)

I am looking for an amp with Component switching, and is as good with music as it is with movies, budget is around £450/500

Dino

2. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    AV Land sold a Marantz SR7500 for a bargain £580 to a forum member recently, it matches your requirements well, and has component video switching which is commented to be very good. It is also well known that the SR7500 has fantastic musical ability for an AV receiver, I'll stick my neck out and say it is probably best in class in that respect.

Would go well with your B&W's too, another forum member currently uses B&W 600 series with his SR7500 and is very happy with the result.

Other options would be the Yamaha RXV 1500, Denon 2805.

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    However much I love my avr2805 I dont think that it is very good with music and there are certainly more musical amps on the market - for pure movies it is hard to beat.

4. Menelaos

Menelaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own the SR7500 with a pair of DM601 S3's (actually two pairs :) ) and they sound great. Bi-wiring is planned and should even improve the sound. Rated at 100W these are a little light for the SR7500, but I keep the volume down (<-10 dB) in my appartement anyway.

Greetz,

Menel.

5. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    Spoke to my dealer who advised me agaisnt the SR7500 as he is having a lot of faults with the new marantz stuff, I was torn between the 7500 and the H/K AVR 430 and he said he could do me a AVR 430 for £650 which I think is a pretty good price.

I will post a new thread asking for advice about the 430 also :)

6. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Which dealer said this to you mate? It tends to be one dealer chain who has a problem with Marantz gear, and always tries to push other brands onto their customers.

The dealers I know rate the Marantz gear very highly, and have had few returns. The SR7500 should blow the HK out of the water for sound quality and features in my humble opinion :).

Speak to a few more dealers too, but not from the same chain. Also give www.petertyson.co.uk, www.avland.co.uk, www.avsales.co.uk a call too.

EDIT: I should also add that I have had three Marantz Receivers and a Marantz CD player and never had a problem with any of them.

7. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    The guy is a mate and is a main dealer for just about every Major brand, and nothing to gain, I asked him about the HK he didnt push it on me, he has nothing to gain from telling me rubbish, maybe other dealers profit margins are higher on marantz stuff and thats why they push it? works both ways mate.

I called him back to query the price of the 430 as I couldnt remember what he said, and he said he could do me a deal on the avr 630 for £600 which is a very very good price from what I can see. The dealer is trusted and respected by many people on this forum, I also have a marantz now and I have no problem with it, its been a good receiver.

8. saaliqeh

saaliqeh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    I got the Marantz 7500 this week from AVLand for £580. Have just started setting it up and am very impressed with the sound. I have n't started using the video side of things yet, but it really is very good with music. If you decide to buy I would recommend AV land, their service was great and I had the amp within 48 hours (thanks again Kingsley!).
    :smashin:

9. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Fair enough :) At the end of the day tiz your decision and your cash, I still think you should listen to both the HK and the Marantz before you spend your money though :).

10. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    I will give it a go as it seems to get good reviews, i must admit i like the styling a lot better on the H/K but do you look at it or listen too it, but a £400 pound saving off the price av land ar selling it for is might tempting :)

11. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Personally, HK are my least favourite brand, I think they are a bit over-rated, and get very mixed reviews, I believe the 430 or 330 got a very poor review recently. They look nice, but up close, that volume knob is way too flimsy. Feature wise, they are severely lacking, it would be all forgiven if they sounded superb, but don't offer anything more than the competition who have not only caught up, but superceded the HK. I would choose the Pioneer 2014i, Denon 2805/3805, Marantz SR7500/SR8500, Yamaha RXV 1500/2500, Arcam AVR250 and the NADS over the HK amps, all would be a better choice.

This is just my opinion though, and you may like the HK sound enough to choose it over the others, it would be boring if we all liked the same thing :D

Truth be told, the amps in that class are all very good, and any would make their owners happy, but each have a different house sound.

Can't argue with the £400 saving though, it is a very good discount, but that pricing may only serve to bring it into line with the new kids on the block ;). H/K do use decent amps inside their gear though, and they should drive the B&W's well.

You are more than welcome to come and have a listen to my SR7500 if you like matey :).

12. brando

brando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the Marantz SR-7500 earlier this week for my B&W DM603S3 front speakers, DM601S3 Surround speakers, LRC600S3 center (plus a Cervin Vega SW). So far I'm very satisfied with the SR-7500 and I'm not missing my old Sony STR-790DB receiver. I like the crisp clear sound of the marantz. However, I'm a little disappointed with the MRAC system. I think the name MRAC (Marantz Room Acoustic Calibration) a bit misleading because this system does not have room correction like Denon AVR-2805 + AVR-3805 have. I have never tried a receiver with room correction, so I'm not sure what improvements it has to the sound. Anyone out there who has experience with this?