Need a new AV Amp/Receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by SteveTDCI, Nov 7, 2018.

1. SteveTDCI

SteveTDCI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    In a few weeks time we will be getting Sky Q, we have now TV and a blueray, given everything is HDMI I think now is the time to upgrade the AV Receiver. At the moment its an Arcam 250, there is nothing wrong with it other than the remote died a few years ago and that it lacks any HDMI.

So now is the time to upgrade, budget realistically around £500, I would like the option if possible to add a small 2 channel stereo amp although not essential as I very rarely get time to listen to anything as coronation street or Emmerdale is usually on, even when its not on anything above conversation level is deemed to loud and the most common source is spotify …

I have a second TV in the dining room and ideally I would use the AV Receiver to output picture from everything that's connected to it to the second TV, I assume when connected by HDMI it will also out put sound ??

Given the requirements is there an amp that would tick all the boxes ? The one that I would possibly rule out would be the Sony that What HiFi seem too love. Speaker wise they will be running the monitor audio radius range although this may change to the smaller Q acoustics or Dali range.

Thanks
    Steve

2. CarMad

CarMad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    It all depends if you are a preference for one Manufacture or another. The Denon below would be a good punt. Last years model and reduced significantly and might come down more in black friday deals who knows.

It has plenty of power, a good detailed sound that's fairly neutral and loads of extra features like airplay / Spotify etc.

Denon 3400 - Peter Tyson

You could use the pre-outs to add a H/T passthrough amp in the future.

3. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,229
    For the second TV make sure the amp you choose has zone 2 HDMI, it's getting more common on midrange amps. For example the Denon 3400 and 3500 are the start point for Zone 2 HDMI.

The 3400 is last year's model and an excellent buy if youcan find one, the latest version offers very little extra which makes the 3400 somewhat of a bargain.

For your music use you may find a Marantz amp a good choice, in my experience the Marantz is pretty good for music on its own, the Marantz amps however are more expensive than the Denon equivalents so if you do add a separate stereo amp you may be better off with a cheaper Denon equivalent.

4. SteveTDCI

SteveTDCI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Thanks, I was considering the marantz 6012 or at a push the Yamaha 1070 but then as with everything the budget starts to creep up

5. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,229
    The Marantz would be a good choice IMO. I've got a slightly older 7010 which I've been very happy with.

6. SteveTDCI

SteveTDCI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Given the Radius speakers are light on the bass, I assume the 3400 and 6012 can run as 2.1, well bring the sub into action for stereo ?

7. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,353
    The Radius speakers are designed to be used in conjunction with a subwoofer and all AV receivers include a pre out for the integration of an active sub. THe subwoofer you use must be an active model though because there's no terminals or bass management relative to a passive subwoofer.

You do appear to have RS6 floorstanders though?

If wanting to use smaller satellite type speakers then you are going to need an active sub for bass duties.

It should be pointed out to you that an AV receiver's primary function is to process and portray surround sound via multiple speakers as opposed to acting as just a stereo amplifier.

8. SteveTDCI

SteveTDCI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Its a BK XL200 and has been fine with the Arcam.

9. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,353
    That would be fine

10. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,715
    As you are coming from an Arcam AVR, if you move to a Denon AVR you may be disappointed with it's performance for 2 channel music. However, you did mention adding a separate amp into the system for music, in which case, you would be fine. If you are not going to use a separate amp for music, then the Marantz AVR would be better than the Denon AVR.

With your BK sub, you have the option to connect via both high level and low level at the same time, meaning that you could integrate it easily into the system for music, either with a separate stereo amp, or with the AVR in direct mode.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  11. SteveTDCI

SteveTDCI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Its used with high and low inputs at the minute, I guess the 3400 is the way to go at the moment, unless I want to pay the extra £170 for the 6012

12. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,715
    I have had Denon, Marantz and Arcam AVR's. I would say that the Denon and Marantz would sound pretty much identical for movies / tv, but the Marantz would be better for music. Not as good as the Arcam though!

13. SteveTDCI

SteveTDCI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I love the look, feel and brand of Arcam but sadly it would be wasted money :(

14. SteveTDCI

SteveTDCI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Out of interest does anyone know if the newer 2500 Denon can be combined with a stereo amp, i assume as it has two outputs sending pictures to a second TV isn't an issue ? PT now have it at £429 with a 5 year warranty and free Echo Dot.

15. CarMad

CarMad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    The lower end Denons don’t have some of the bells and whistles as the higher models, and the power is down.

I don’t believe the 2xxx series have pre outs other than for a sub.

16. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,229
    The second HDMI on the 2500 isn't a second zone, it's a parallel matching output to the first one so useful for using 2 displays in 1 room, most likely a PJ and TV being used at different times. Both monitor outputs won't have audio on them unless you switch the audio to the TV in the amps GUI which will stop audio output on the speakers.

The 3400 and above have a proper zone 2 output which includes audio and allows you to watch any source in zone 2 while watching any source in zone 1. The only gotcha with zone 2 HDMI is that the video and audio will be the lowest common denominator if the same source is being watched in both rooms. I have the zone 2 HDMI feeding a second AVR so both zones support surround so this isn't an issue for me .

17. Crafty

Crafty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +457
    Is there any reason the OP ruled out the Sony or why it shouldn't be considered ? I can appreciate its at the low end compared to Maratnz etc, but seems to have decent enough reviews sound wise.

I'm actually on the fence if to go for the Denon 2400/2500. Don't second secondary output, 7.1 or atmos features. Wondering if the Sony (or something else?) is worth the extra for sound quality alone ?

18. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,353
    In comparison to the Denon models that you are considering, the Sony is still a contender, but one which has its quirks. The Denon models will be easier to setup and more intuitive to operate. I'd have to also say the Denon's customer support is better than what you'd expect from Sony. Sony don't even provide a downloadable PDF manual for the STRDN1080 and you can only access the associated manual/guide online. Another drawback associated with the receiver is that it will not portray or allow you to access DTS:X audio via setups that utilise downward firing ceiling or upward firing Atmos speakers and only allows for this if you employ wall mounted height speakers.

19. SteveTDCI

SteveTDCI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I ruled it out based on the niggles the units seem to have in the owners thread, the fact that What Hi Fi are biased and more importantly way back in the 90's I had a Sony product that kept going wrong :)

20. Crafty

Crafty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +457
    I wouldn't use atmos stuff, have a good old traditional 5.1 setup and no plans to change.

The main reason to upgrade from the current AVR is for 4k capability.

The attraction of the Sony was mostly the good reports on SQ, including for music. Manual for it here by the way: Support for STR-DN1080 | Downloads, Manuals, Tutorials and FAQs | Sony UK I know it doesn't have preouts, not that I'd use them either. I note that it has received an eARC update.

I did note the niggles with ARC in the owners thread.

21. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,353

You'll find that the downloadable PDF isn't a full manual. The fact that it is only consists of 70 pages kind of gives you an indication of how limited it is.

snapshot001.jpg

The online HELP GUIDE is the only way to access more advanced info concerning the receiver's operation and configuration:

STR-DN1080 | Help Guide | Top

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  22. SteveTDCI

SteveTDCI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    My reason for change from the Arcam is because the remote failed and it has no HDMI, with changing to sky q I want the AV receiver to become the main hub for everything.

23. Crafty

Crafty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +457
    Oh right. Theres a big button on the right to get a PDF of that!

Anyway, sorry to the OP for derailing his thread. I'll have more of a look around at other AVRs and keep the downsides of the Sony in mind.

24. SteveTDCI

SteveTDCI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    @Crafty no need to apologise at all :)

25. SteveTDCI

SteveTDCI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Denon 3400 purchased .... roll on next week ..... now for speakers :)

26. Crafty

Crafty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +457
    I know you mentioned Q Acoustics in the first post - I'm quite happy with my 3000 series (3020 fronts, 3010 rears, 3090 centre & BK P12-300 sub). I had satellite speakers before but didn't want to go too big, the Qs worked for size and were a big step up sound wise.

They are at the lower end of the ones you mentioned though.

27. SteveTDCI

SteveTDCI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    The 3020i does get good reviews but are a little bigger than the Radius 90's but i will try and listen too them.