1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a new 32" withthe best picture quality

Discussion in 'TVs' started by mansell, Feb 24, 2003.

1. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    So my third PB50 is going back and I'm getting a full refund

I've looked into several TV's

FQ80

FQ66 (with the open stand)

philips 9617 ,but has the panny tube which I'm not that impressed on

philips 9527

another panny (pd40) but not too keen on another panny

I just want the best PIC !!!

so which one do I choose ?

come on guys , I need owners of all of these to try and sell them to me !

would any of these improve on the already good picture of my pb50 ?

2. sr78

sr78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    JVC HV32D25, ordered it this afternoon.

3. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    where from?

and doesnt it come with some problems? scan lines i think.

4. sr78

sr78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    In Holland...

I checked it in the shop. No scanlines over RGB, brilliant picture over component with progressive scan.

5. afleming

afleming
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a look at a pb50 in comet, there were two on display, and noticed on boththat there appearde to be a grid like matrix that was visible at the sides of the screen. I personally have a 32fx66 and am really impressed with the picture very clear and vivid however you have to be on the ball when you first get them to make sure they are not one of the dodgy ones.

6. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I would personally save a bit more of my money and go for a Loewe. Which one is your choice, but they are all top notch in my opinion.<he says not ever owning one, but saving cash for one>

I suppose it depends on what the missus likes to watch Eastenders on really. Well in my case it is anyway.

I definitely wouldn't buy another Panny, and some of the other manufacturers have had some bad press on this forum.

7. sr78

sr78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Don't forget that people who have problems are far more likely to post. And every model gets bad press, including Loewe TVs. There's always some people who have a problem with a set, and although they're unlucky, it's worth to try and see through it (of course there are cases where a set has a fundamental flaw).

8. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    sr78

good luck with your jvc and your 963sa, I want to buy the jvc here in cyprus but they wont sell just yet although they have arrived. did you make a comparison with the 9617 P+ set of phillips. Of what I hear the jvc blows them away!!

As for the progressive scan I am ordering from hivizone the q-50 which should give a great picture for the price at only 415 + 95 for shipping. I cant get through to their site.

Do you know any online retailers that stock this model in holland and ship internationally?

any info would be great (420 euro is a good price)

9. sr78

sr78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  10. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    not to mention the dirty screen effect which is horrible

you say the fx66 , I had alook at one of these in JL for £1000 with 5 years warranty and the open stand option which I prefer , I was impressed but I want a set with pic and text . I know this is just a minor thing but I would prefer this than pic and pic like the fx66

what screen modes does it have ? , does it have drc etc or just plain 100hz ?

11. afleming

afleming
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, i dont think the fx66 has picture in text, so if you are after this feature you will have to look elsewhere. Teh picture in picture function is ideal for someone who does not use their aeriel rf socket anymore as the PIP functions are all for viewing the av inputs and for me this makes perfect sense as all of my inputs where through the av channels. To me this is better than paying for the tv to have two tuners when i am not even using one. You may be able to get around teh picture in text by having a vrcr that has a teletext function buitl in, then you could watch an input and also watch the video signal that is displayingt teh text. I know inthe past certain vcrs did have a teletext function buti do not know if any are still made like this.

I have been struglling over the last few months with tv choice and for my money (i could not go over a grand) there were only a few optio9ns i would consider.

for 28" the pansonic pl10 has proved a very good buy for my two friends and for my father the sony 28ls60 has also proved excellent. My choice of an 28fx66 ended in tears due to reliability and quality control and ebnded up opting for th 32" version. although not perfect it is within my tolerance. At the time the alternatives i was looking at was teh toshiba 32" picture frame model and the 32" toshiba that was about a £1000 with the stand encliosed in that mesh type appearance. A laso looked at the pb50 as comet had it on an internet proce of £1120 and thought this looked a good buy, however i did not liek the picture.

The fx66 only has one digital mode which at the moment appears to work quite well with most types of tv programme. You cannot turn off digital scanning like you can on teh fq80. which if that is imprtant the fx66 is again no good.

One word of note i believe that the 32fx66 is being stopped in june or july. At first glance its replacement looks like the fx68. However be cautious as this model will sell for the current price of the ls60 and i think is more of a replacement for that model.

12. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    This is now becoming worrying , 50% post's complain that The Sony buzz's which I know would drive me mad

Over 50% of people report that The Philips have vertical bar problems

At least my panny had a decent dvd pic, looked the buss , did not buzz or have vertical bar's .

maybe I'll go for the ph40 ?

one question I have however , is the vertical bar problem more common on either the 9617 or 9527 ?

13. afleming

afleming
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With regrads to the sony buzzing it is a risk, but my new one does buzz, however, with the normal backround noise of a normal house i.e washingmachines, fridges, people different tellies on in different rooms i can not hear it normally. If everythingh is switrched off and i was alone and thevolume was on very low or mute then i might hear butto be honmest i never notice it now and probably would not have noticed it on this model if i wasnt specificaly listening for it. but the picture on the telly is sublime.

14. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    OK cheers for that but I'm still not convinced , if anyone else has a fq80 without buzzing/low buzzing then please add your comment's here

You mention about the pic , how does it compare to the philips 9527c , what's the DRC mode's like ,does it make any noticable difference , if so what ?

15. afleming

afleming
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when i first looked at the philips i was very impressed. The first time i looked at it i thought it was the best picture i had ever seen on a tv.

When i had second look and studied the picture i noticed that it was very blocky, pixelated with any kind of motion images. Faces were comprised of colour blocks which did not look good. Very artificial and digital looking. I dont know whether the pixel plus was on. I have heard from people that when P+ is switched off the pictyure is good. But cannot couch for that.

I cannot comment on the fq80 digital modes cos that uses dmc or something which the fx66 does not have(it uses digital plus)

16. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    what is the digital plus , a new fancy name for 100hz ?

re the pixel plus , I would be buying th TV on the basis of it's 100hz picture with the bonus that on certain dvd material (maybe the likes of Shrek or monster's inc etc) it would be usefull ????

How does your Sony compare to the panny's ?????

17. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    mansell.

Why not consider a 50Hz Philips like the 6506,which replaced my 6515 and has none of the digital gagdets that could affect pic quality and it's miles cheaper?

18. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Take a look at Loewe.
    One of the best buys I have ever made.
    Gary

19. afleming

afleming
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I looked on a previous post by yellow cow and found that

"DRC is the Sony 'line doubling' technology, incorporating regular 100hz as well.

100Hz Digital plus is just 100Hz with motion-smoothing.

20. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39

is DRC50 not double line mode with a 50hz refresh rate ??

:confused: :confused: :confused:

21. afleming

afleming
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think with the fq80 and fs76 you can have 50hz normal, 100hz and 100 drc as well. so in all there are three modes.

22. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I'm thinking of me football see , I would presume that this drc50 50hz mode would be the dog's bits for football .

My panny pb50 isn't bad with football

a bit of smearing
    white ghosting effect around the player's
    some colour bleed but not bad
    and the three vertical lines running down the display .

but I'm sure either the sony or philips would perform better from what I hear and see .

23. afleming

afleming
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can somebody else help out here, does the fq80 have drc activated 50hz mode, or is it the standard 50 hz mode that you would get on a ls35.

24. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    i had the FQ80 and now i have the an FS76. The modes are

100DRC
    50DRC
    100Hz

The 50Hz DRC is actually meant to have a higher res than the 100 version. It looks bloody sweet with NTSC DVDs too.

Hope this helps

Bill

25. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    thanks for that astonbilla

Why did you return it , was there a problem with your fq80 ?

26. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    i've had 2 FQ80s, The first one arrived upside down and the bos was opened so i rejected it (good old citylink), the second was out of focus down each side of the screen and buzzed so much it was scary - not the normal level of Sony buzz, i mean it was well scary.

Great pics though

27. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    Hi

I have the FQ80 that is great apart from a from minor things that I can maybe live with and one thing that a engineer will sort out for me on friday hopfully.

But the

DRC 50 mode is very good for football I like it bare in mind it does flicker a bit when you turn it on but give it 5 mins then your eyes will adjust to it and you get football great

Even then DRC 100 is not that bad with football either and DRC 100 is great for films and there no flicker what so ever with it.

I never have use OFF which is standard 100hz so cant really comment on that

But overall it a damn nice tv a good looker too ;) and the picture is great nice colour etc, I had a FX66 before this and I got to admit that the FQ80 performance is way better picture wise etc.

Just i got a slop at the top when watching wide screen that are not 16:9 I can see a slop at the end and bend in the middle, Not sure if the engineer be able to sort it. But the other two things I can live with as they dont effect my viewing and with the set not being a buzzer I am being hold back from letting it go as I am worried the next one will buzz. Hence the reason is if the engineer can fix the slope on friday I be one happy FQ80 owner

28. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    so it looks like the Sony FQ80 or philips 9527C

One more viewing at JL cribbs causway on saturday then I will make my final decision

29. afleming

afleming
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dont know if this makes any odds to anyone but i've just cjecked comet and they are doing the fs76 at an internet price very near to the price of the fq80 around 1450 pound mark. i know they dont have 5yr guarantee, but i dont know jl price.

30. Wilbur

Wilbur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's always the Loewe route (suggested on this thread once already). I've just put my Articos up on the classifieds section - it's in excellent condition and a top deal!