1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a little question answering

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Marshan Man, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Marshan Man

Marshan Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally got my first AV amp - Marantz sr4400. as part of a step by step process at getting the full works... (next on the wish list is AEs AEGIS EVO 3B set... but thats for when i have the space/buget. - i think i'll be retireing when i have the buget ;))

anyway...first some background

got the amp set up just fine, in my bedroom, tho the speaker set up is currently a bit of a bodge till the weekend, when it can move into its perminant home with the big screen TV.

currently iv got the amp sound connected via the pre outs to my computers surround speakers (creative 5100) via phono cables to the fronts, center and sub, and as i didnt have enough phono to stereo converters to hand, the rear is connected to my stereo. now this all works as good as can be expected, but it would be far better if i can connect it properly, as in, connect all 6 channels via phono - stereo cables to the 5100's amp via the pre outs, that way i have a more even sound stage. (i know 5100s aint the best, but its what i have and can fit in a small room ATM)

on to my question.

when i move the amp, i was thinking about gettin a second set of surround speakers - along the lines of either another 5100 set, or the videologic digitheater LG.

now with the LG set up uses normal binding posts to connect their speakers to their amp, so therefore i could attach them direct to the speaker posts on the marantz.. i have a concern that attaching 6/7watt speakers to a 80watt per channel amp might be a little.. umm... overdriven, and easily blow the speakers if im not careful with the volume.

would it be better to go thru the pre outs to the sets own amp and control the speakers that way, or to use the marantz own speakers posts?

any opinions would be greatly appreciated

2. Marshan Man

Marshan Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in the end, it didnt matter...

i decided to spend a bit more money, and went for the Wharfedale Moviestar 70 set... lookin on here, the moviestar 60 seemed to get fairly good reviews. and the 70 seemed to have better specs... 2 way sats, and a better center speaker. it arrives tomorrow... (hopefully) so by saturday it should be set up completly in its new home :D

3. Marshan Man

Marshan Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    speakers all set up, with amp.. from a cold start, they shone! (but then coming from creative 5100 they are ;) )

i wasnt expecting what i got for the money i paid... which was quite small sattelites... but their quite large.. and they gel well together, after a little fiddle with the volume/crossover of the sub... things are going good, only thing left to do is mount the rear speakers on the wall, rather than sat on the bedside cabinates either side of the bed