Question Need a little help to make sure I understand things properly

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by e_a_g_l_e_p_i, Aug 3, 2018.

1. e_a_g_l_e_p_i

e_a_g_l_e_p_i
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I just purchased the following TV a few days ago the Samsung UN65NU8000FXZA and I have an older surround system with DVD/CD player, I only use the surround sound system on it. It's connected via an Optical Audio cord from the DISH Hopper3 to the JVC TH-G31 surround system.

My new TV has the HDMI ARC I guess I just want to know which way is best to connect the 3 devices for what I want.

Do the HDMI ARC if I connect that to the JVC TH-G31 surround system will all sound come out of that instead of the TV speakers?

I know if I use the Optical Audio cable from the DISH Hopper3 to the JVC TH-G31 surround system, it only plays surround sound when it is turned on and otherwise the sound comes from the TV speakers and that is how I want it to work.

So am I right if I connect the HDMI ARC from the TV to the JVC TH-G31 surround system the TV sound will always come through the JVC TH-G31 surround system and if it isn't on I get no sound?

If I just use the Optical Audio cable between the DISH Hopper3 and the JVC TH-G31 surround system then the sound will come out of the TV unless I turn on the JVC TH-G31 surround system then it comes from both the V and TV, I normally just turn the TV all the way down when I listen to a movie in surround sound.

Thanks in advanced

2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,090
    The JVC system needs to have arc capability built in. A quick look at the spec and reviews doesn't mention arc capability. That likely means you have to use toslink (optical S/Pdif).