Need a little bit of help with my new Samsung

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by Awkward Hawk, Jan 31, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Awkward Hawk

Awkward Hawk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, newbie type here with a simple problem, which I'm sure one of you clever types will solve in two seconds, making me look like a proper chump. :)

On Monday, I took delivery of a Samsung LE40A686M1FXXU. The following day, we had Sky+HD installed and everything is absolutely fine. Except for one tiny, minuscule problem: when I turn the HD box on, it doesn't automatically switch to the satellite channel. When I turn on the DVD player, for example, it changes to the DVD channel. Also, when I turn the HD box off, it then just stays on the sat' channel with a black screen, rather than go back to Freeview or terrestrial.

My last TV automatically went back to the terrestrial channel when the Box was switched off and, conversely, automatically switched to the Sky when the Sky+ box was turned on. This new this one doesn't and I was wondering if any of you might be able to tell me how to set it to do that please.

It's a tiny irritation, but an irritation all the same.

I would be extremely grateful for any help.

Thank you.

P.S. I think this is the correct place to post this, apologies if it is not.

2. dazzcupra

dazzcupra
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    this is normal on the samsungs, is your dvd a samsung with anynet if it is then thats why it will work with the dvd

3. EarthRod

EarthRod
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,870
    Hi

There is an HDMI-CEC standard which most manufacturers follow. This standard has a set of protocols that allow devices to 'talk' to each other via HDMI.

The problem is that the manufacturers call HDMI-CEC by a different name. Samsung call it "Anynet", Panasonic call it "Viera Link".

Sky equipment does not support HDMI-CEC for some reason and that's why your Sky+ HD box is not 'seen' by the Samsung TV over HDMI.

Alan

4. Awkward Hawk

Awkward Hawk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you both for replying. Well that's a pain, but something I can live with I suppose. As I said: it was only a tiny irritation.

Thanks again.