Need a little advice

fordsta

Standard Member
Hi people ive been looking into getting a home cinema system for my samsung a656 as the sound from the tv is very poor. It will be hooked up to a ps3 which i use for both movies and games. I started out looking at an all one system then i ventured into this forum and ive been looking at amplifiers. Im a noob when it comes to audio stuff but I already own a sub and a set of five speakers that i used with my pc. Heres the set i own

Creative Inspire 5.1 5100 - Audio Output with reviews and price comparison at dooyoo.co.uk

Its not the greatest set in the world as you can, My main question if i bought a seperate amplifer something like a Marantz 4002 would i be able to use my existing speakers and sub with it. Like i said im a noob with this stuff so i dont even know wether thats all i need to get it to work let alone wether the speakers will be good enough for something like the marantz. Ive only got a budget of about £200 to £350. So if the answers no, its cheap and chearfull all in one system i come.

Anyone help a noob out.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Creative Labs claims 6 Watts RMS power output per satellite and 12 Watts RMS for the subwoofer

:eek:

I suspect the speakers will not be suitable. The sub will be vastly underpowered even if it can be attached to a AV amp and the satellites will probably blow if attached to anything other than the Creative Labs Inspire unit?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
You should be able to get something with that budget. It's just a shame that you didn't consider upgrading a few months back when there were amps and speakers in stock and at decent prices.

As for packages, what about:

Onkyo HTX-22HD - It's 2.1 but you can add the other speakers for £99 later when you have some more funds.

Sony HT-SF1300

Both are HD (lossless) audio capable and therefore slightly futureproof, the Onkyo has HD audio decoding, the Sony doesn't but can still output HD audio using a suitable Bluray player with the necessary decoding on board. They also don't have a wasted DVD player built-in and have a handful of inputs should you expand your system in the future with more equipment e.g. games consoles, sky hd etc. Unfortunately all-in-ones lack inputs and are pretty inflexible when it comes to expansion.

Obviously you'll get a better response in the all-in-ones forum and perhaps there are newer models around the corner.

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
Hi fordsta,

Looks like you will be getting a 'All In One'.

Mate, I wouldn't try it. Best leave them on the pc. Save a little more and source some decent s\h speakers which are more capable if you get the SR4002.

That is a 70 wpc amp and those speakers can only handle 5 watts each at best and the sub 12watts, and I wouldn't be surprised if they fried as soon you switch on the amp, then 'murdering' that very nice amp :mad:.

You could always seek a s/h av for around the £150-£200 mark and put the rest to speakers.

Last edited:

fordsta

Standard Member
Nevermind it was just a thought really, looks like im getting a an all in one package, i know there not as good as seperates but im sure ill be happy ,anything will be better than the useless built in speakers in my telly.

Thanks for the help guys. :thumbsup:

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
Nevermind it was just a thought really, looks like im getting a an all in one package, i know there not as good as seperates but im sure ill be happy ,anything will be better than the useless built in speakers in my telly.

Thanks for the help guys. :thumbsup:

You seem disheartened - don't be.
As per the 2 All In One's Davepuma suggested, there are some very good ones around with extra connectivity. I rememeber All in one's as a sealed unit with no extra connections, and still thought they were - shows how times have moved on and how much i know eh)

Or, if you want an AV and speakers, you could take the s/h route as i previously suggested. You will find most users of these equipment look after their kit, therefore most kit being sold are in excellent condition. Speakers as well. Then at a later date, when money is a bit more flush, you can upgrade them if you so desire. :thumbsup:

Just a thought..:)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom