Need a little advice please.

addyb

Distinguished Member
Hi all, first post on these forums so try not to flame me (too much!!)
Anyway im going to be purchasing a projector in the next few weeks so have been busy doing some research on the net. Ive got up to speed (i think) with all the tech specs etc and seen a few model names banded about.
Im basically after a decent projector that i can hook my laptop up to so i play some games in a much larger format. I also would like to hook the projector up to my dvd player/cable so i can watch some films/sports etc.
I have around £1000 to spend but would prefer to spend less than this if possible.
I've seen so many differing opinions on various models whether they be LCD or DLP. I just wouldnt mind some advice on whats a suitable projector to fit my needs above in the price bracket. A few people have said get the "Toshiba TDP-S9 DLP Projector" but as im a total noob with these id prefer to come to the experts/experienced buyers on these forums!
I have done a good search on this site and not found the answers im looking for as of yet. Can anyone give me a few ideas?

Anim

DLP produces a very film like picture and LCD tends to be sharper and brighter hence why LCD projectors are more popular for connecting to a computer.

So

First off I would say look at LCD projectors.

Is your budget just for the projector or everything (screen, cables etc)?

I would work towards getting a 1280x720 res projector as a start too.

Maybe a Hitachi PJ-TX100 for less than £850?

Edit: Or a Z3, pixmania still list them in stock

addyb

Distinguished Member
Anim said:
DLP produces a very film like picture and LCD tends to be sharper and brighter hence why LCD projectors are more popular for connecting to a computer.

So

First off I would say look at LCD projectors.

Is your budget just for the projector or everything (screen, cables etc)?

I would work towards getting a 1280x720 res projector as a start too.

Maybe a Hitachi PJ-TX100 for less than £850?

Edit: Or a Z3, pixmania still list them in stock
Thanks for the reply Anim, i will have a look at some LCD projectors and see what i can find, im guessing a decent screen will set me back about £100 but how much roughly for all the cables if i want to connect a laptop, cable tv, dvd player etc? To tell you thr truth i havent looked into that area a great deal :thumbsup:

Knyght_byte

for the cables it depends on how far the PJ will be from the various products....

the laptop you need to have within a couple metres to be honest to make sure there is no degredation of the signal, in gaming thats very important.....you can get a nice quality 1.8m Belkin cable for around £15-20 (either VGA or DVI) that will do the job nicely, or if you need slightly longer then buy an extension cable for a similar amount, you can spend less if you want if under 2m, but if over 2m i would advise more to make sure there is no loss of signal.....

for other cables, well, again depends on distance, the longer the distance the more you need to spend to make sure no signal loss....but its not worth going stupid either...
what usually best if most of your conventional video equipment is together (ie cable/sky box, DVD player etc) is plug them all in to one switching device (either an a/v receiver amp or one of those small signal adaptor boxes) then run one cable to the PJ......that usually works out cheapest depending on how many video cables you need.......if all the cables are likely to be a couple metres each then £10-20 will do you for each cable at most usually.......however if much longer they might need more shielding depending on the type of cable used....its probably best to consider the equipment you want to buy first, then find out how much it costs for the cabling you need......if thats prohibitive then either buy a cheaper PJ or risk cheaper cabling, or move your equipment closer to the PJ....

addyb

Distinguished Member
Knyght_byte said:
for the cables it depends on how far the PJ will be from the various products....

the laptop you need to have within a couple metres to be honest to make sure there is no degredation of the signal, in gaming thats very important.....you can get a nice quality 1.8m Belkin cable for around £15-20 (either VGA or DVI) that will do the job nicely, or if you need slightly longer then buy an extension cable for a similar amount, you can spend less if you want if under 2m, but if over 2m i would advise more to make sure there is no loss of signal.....

for other cables, well, again depends on distance, the longer the distance the more you need to spend to make sure no signal loss....but its not worth going stupid either...
what usually best if most of your conventional video equipment is together (ie cable/sky box, DVD player etc) is plug them all in to one switching device (either an a/v receiver amp or one of those small signal adaptor boxes) then run one cable to the PJ......that usually works out cheapest depending on how many video cables you need.......if all the cables are likely to be a couple metres each then £10-20 will do you for each cable at most usually.......however if much longer they might need more shielding depending on the type of cable used....its probably best to consider the equipment you want to buy first, then find out how much it costs for the cabling you need......if thats prohibitive then either buy a cheaper PJ or risk cheaper cabling, or move your equipment closer to the PJ....
Thanks for the info Knyght! Im still in the process of figuring out what PJ im gonna go for, and after thats decided i'll do what you said and get some cabling sorted. Im still torn between a Sony VPL-CS20 or BenQ PB2250.

addyb

Distinguished Member
Yeh sorry got a bit ahead of myself there, Z3 does look good and have heard some rave reviews so may purchase that one!! Looks like pixmania is the only place that sells it (in the u.k) but i'll keep looking!

PJTX100

addyb said:
Looks like pixmania is the only place that sells it (in the u.k) but i'll keep looking!
If you buy it from Pixmania the unit will come from France and have a non UK plug on it...PJ

Anim

addyb said:
Yeh sorry got a bit ahead of myself there, Z3 does look good and have heard some rave reviews so may purchase that one!! Looks like pixmania is the only place that sells it (in the u.k) but i'll keep looking!
Yeah, Sanyo pulled the model from the shelf because they just released the Z4. All the Z3 stock in the UK went like hot cakes as they added a free bulb promotion to clear stock. Its still an amazing projector so dont be fooled by the fact it isnt made anymore. You should also get a 3 year warranty with it.

You could ask PJ ^ what he thinks of his TX100 too and im sure there are lots of Z3 owners in here who would give there impression too, no harm in asking anyway :D

Trending threads

Top Bottom