Need a good DVD/HD recorder with EPG

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Weinberg, May 1, 2005.

1. Weinberg

Weinberg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've been looking at http://www.europe.guideplus.com, and a previous thread of mine asking for a DVD recorder recommendation. A comment in that thread, "Anyone 'still' programming manually is living in the video age", made sense to me. I don't like the idea of that.

So I'm looking for the best possible DVD recorder, up to around the £300 mark, which uses an EPG. It must also have the following features:

-Harddrive for timeslip etc, and recording to HD as well as DVD
    -Full RGB in and out
    -Very impressive picture (I'm not going for an average DVD player again!)
    -Possibly progressive scan
    -Multi region, either available from a retailer already modified, or otherwise easy to modify to play multi region DVDs.

Thanks!

2. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
  3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    The only DVD recorders that fulfill your budget requirement at present are the Philips HDRW720 and HDRW725 models - all I can say there is be prepared to sacrifice quality, reliability and compatibility for an EPG. Our resident Philips fan Jethro will probably tell you this isn't the case - if so dig out the November WVWE magazine for a comparative review.

If you're prepared to wait JVC are releasing a HDD/DVDR Guideplus machine - the DR-MH600 - next month (finally with RGB input!) - that has fairly decent specs although JVC are yet to make a particularly slick DVD recorder (a world ahead of the Philips range though).

Alternatively (and a better option IMHO) wait for the influx of DVB equipped DVD recorders that will start arriving in the next month or so: the Panasonic EH60D (July), the Sony RDR-XD910 (Sept) and the Sony RDR-XD1010 (Oct) for example.