Need a good answer to this question..

ratmas

Standard Member
Finally convinced the Mrs that we need an ipad, all good and well..But she's gone and thrown a spanner in the works by doing a little bit of research herself. Not good..Her dillemma, not mine i hasten too add, is that she has got literally thousands and thousands of photo's to sort through and wanted to sort through these pic's using the i pad.

Now, not being especially techy myself, she has pointed out to me the exclusion of any usb, therefore the transportation of all these photo's makes it quite hard..She has now gone back on her word and told me to wait for the i pad 2, to see if it has a usb. Thwarted at the last min..

Is there any work around to this problem? Can she upload them and then burn them to some new media without a usb..

Thanking you in advance, desperate...

Dazo

Pretty sure it is something as simply adding the folder where your photos are stored to be sync'd with Itunes and all will be transferred across when you sync your Ipad.

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member
Is there any work around to this problem? Can she upload them and then burn them to some new media without a usb..

Can you clarify what you mean by this? It sounds like you are talking about uploading them to the ipad, but there is no way to burn them without syncing them back to a laptop or PC.

akki007

Finally convinced the Mrs that we need an ipad, all good and well..But she's gone and thrown a spanner in the works by doing a little bit of research herself. Not good..Her dillemma, not mine i hasten too add, is that she has got literally thousands and thousands of photo's to sort through and wanted to sort through these pic's using the i pad.

Now, not being especially techy myself, she has pointed out to me the exclusion of any usb, therefore the transportation of all these photo's makes it quite hard..She has now gone back on her word and told me to wait for the i pad 2, to see if it has a usb. Thwarted at the last min..

Actually, the issue you will have is actually sorting through them on the iPad, all you can do is view them! You can't arrange into folders etc.

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Fundamental point you need to know.

You Cannot sort photo's on the iPad at all.

You can only view them.

Yes, I know it's stupid, but there you go.

Any "Sorting" will have to be done on your home PC, Mac, Laptop.

The iPad's Photo app is only for viewing photo's in the folders you have created previously on your computer.

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member
Are there any apps that allow photo sorting? I know this kind of thing should be available in the photo app itself, but is there a work around?

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Amazingly the very app is called Photo Sort. Pretty sure there will be other ones out there.

That sounded very interesting.

I went to the iTunes store and found it.

However slightly concerned about the large amount of negative (1 star) feedback ratings.

Worth reading the reviews before you pay I feel.

ratmas

Standard Member
Thanks chaps..
Therein lies the problem, i could'nt see the wood for the trees. You can't sort them, that's a big problem. This news could scupper all the groundwork i've been doing for the last couple of months. She wanted to just pick up the i pad when ever she got a bit of spare time and start sorting her photo's.

I need another angle, i'm gonna have to really shove the educational needs of our two sets of twins down her throat...I know it's a bit of manipulative low down way of going about it. But i gotta try somat, i want our ipad..

Thanks again.......

Tempest

Distinguished Member
One thing you may not be aware of.

The iPad (and I believe iPhoto on the Mac) and perhaps other Apple things. sorts photo's by the date they were taken.

Not by the filename.

That confused me and many others.

If you want to put photo's in your order, rather than the date order they were taken, or they don't have any exif date attached, you will have to edit every photo and put a "date taken" in, to fix the photo into the place/in order you wish it to be in your album.

You can thank Apple for that :)

I'm telling you this as If you come from the PC world (like me,) you may be used to using file-names to keep images in the order you wish.

Dazo

Thanks chaps..
Therein lies the problem, i could'nt see the wood for the trees. You can't sort them, that's a big problem. This news could scupper all the groundwork i've been doing for the last couple of months. She wanted to just pick up the i pad when ever she got a bit of spare time and start sorting her photo's.

I need another angle, i'm gonna have to really shove the educational needs of our two sets of twins down her throat...I know it's a bit of manipulative low down way of going about it. But i gotta try somat, i want our ipad..

Thanks again.......

Would you really want to sort out thousands of photos on a portable device anyway ? A pc/laptop really is the best way for sorting these things out before you transfer them across. Once sorted you could maybe use one of the apps for the odd shifting around but this really shouldn't be a deal breaker.

celsius

I agree with your mrs.
Whatever app available, it is going to be hard for what she wants to do.
Ipad2 is not the answer either.
The answer is to get away from apple!

Tempest

Distinguished Member
There are apps for the ipad that allow remote access / control of a pc or mac, LogMeIn is one such app. Sure you can get File Manager apps for control of files on a NAS as well.

Oh yeah.

But really they are a bit of a pain in the bum to use.

Controlling Windows via WiFi and onto a 10" touch screen is only the sort of thing you would wish to do if you really had no other option.

It's really so much easier to do REAL things like this when you need to get something actually DONE on a proper computer (PC / Mac)

akki007

Oh yeah.

But really they are a bit of a pain in the bum to use.

Controlling Windows via WiFi and onto a 10" touch screen is only the sort of thing you would wish to do if you really had no other option.

It's really so much easier to do REAL things like this when you need to get something actually DONE on a proper computer (PC / Mac)

Completely agree with this.

smithy37

Everytime I 'dock' the camera to my computer I store the photos in folders named with the date, or if I've been out/on holiday, with the event name.
Then when Itunes syncs the Ipad/Iphone I just make sure the relevant folders are selected for syncing.

That way you can browse the folders easily on the Ipad.

Let your computer do the sorting and storing and use the Ipad to view.

My photos look pretty good on the ipad screen.

The Ipad will never replace a laptop/PC, just compliment it.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Google set to launch the Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro smartphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Focal launches Bathys noise-cancelling wireless headphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Formovie Theater UST projector hits the UK
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series