1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a good 5.1 system

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by jeffers81, Mar 6, 2005.

1. jeffers81

jeffers81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a good 37" LCD TV and DVD etc. Now I want a surround sound system. From what I've seen however, they all seem to come with DVD recorders or players - but I don't want that - I just want the speakers and subwoofer.

Is this possible?! :thumbsup:

Thanks
    Mark

2. Jpfahy

Jpfahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anything is possible, the only governing factor is how full your wallet is ;)

Best way to go is seperates, Amp, Speakers and Subwoofer so you can upgrade stuff gradually.

3. jeffers81

jeffers81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I'm a noob to all this audio stuff. I have quite a fat wallet for this project - I presume it's a good idea to go for the same make for the amp, speakers and subwoofer? :D

Any recommendations (medium to large budget)?

Cheers

4. Jpfahy

Jpfahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Might be an idea to change your thread title to "Need a REALLY GOOD 5.1 System (£5000+)" if you're talking big money.
    I'm sure the audiophiles here will swarm in with lots of advice then.

I ain't one BTW (got cloth ears unfortunately ;) )

5. jeffers81

jeffers81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No I'm not talking that large a budget :D

I want something really good, and can spend upto £1000 if needs be. I get the impression I might not really be able to tell much of a difference though if the prices become silly.

I'd rather spend £500 obviously, but can spend more and want something very good. :lease:

6. jeffers81

jeffers81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. Jpfahy

Jpfahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some of those systems are quite good I would assume Jeffers,
    I myself started by buying a Yamaha VS-10 all in one as my first Surround Sound system.

It wasn't long before I figured a dedicated amp gave more options/inputs etc etc. The seperates route was/is defintely the way to go.
    I got my Mission speakers, REL Subwoofer secondhand and bought the Yamaha amp new. You can pick up some great deals out there for £1000 :D

8. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I would go with something like a yamaha 750SE amp with mordaunt short premier plus speaker package. Try and go to a few a/v shops and demo everything.

9. MattyKHZ

MattyKHZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Depends on you dvd player I think as whatever speakers and amp you get will be restricted by the quality of sound from your source. Denon or Pioneer amps tend to be good and speaker system dependent on whether you want full size or satellites and subs. Mordaunt Short Genie supposed to be quite good if you want the latter and can be had for 650 quid I've seen. Mission cubes are also supposed to be good but nearer a grand. Then whatever you like the look of amp wise.

If your dvd player is dated or not as good as some of the new ones then perhaps a system that comes with dvd may be a bonus as an upgrade opportunity. I paid 650 quid for a multiregion Denon 550 system with 6th speaker (6.1 sound) and stands for the front speakers. It is a very good set up and I think hard to beat for the money.