Need a flexible HDMI splitter,...

dar2005

I have just moved from Sky Q to a Virgin V360 box located centrally in my house. I have 3 TV's located around the house.

• Main TV, Samsung 65" supports 4K
  • Secondary TV: Samsung 55" supports up to 1080p
  • Third TV: An old Pioneer 50" Plasma, has HDMI inputs, but highest resolution is 1080i / 720p

When I had Sky Q, I used a cheap ezcoo 1x4 HDMI splitter from Amazon and that worked perfectly splitting the signal to all 3 TV's. However whilst the first 2 TV's display perfectly from the Virgin box via that splitter, the old Pioneer TV doesn't work at all (it works fine if I connect directly to that TV, but I suspect the Virgin box detects what that TV is capable of and downscales).

So I want to invest in a new HDMI 1x4 splitter / downscaler, but one that I can specifically set each output to a different resolution, all the way down to 1080i/720p for the Pioneer TV.

All the splitters I can find only seem to go down as far as 1080p, which the Pioneer is not capable of (although strangely it worked from Sky Q).

Can anyone recommend a suitable HDMI splitter?

Many thanks in advance.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
This can get complicated and expensive.

'supports 4K' often these days that also means supports HDR (which your 1080p and 1080i TV's are unlikely to support) and that's before you add in any requirement to support Surround Sound and Immersive (Atmos) audio formats in the main zone.

Connecting the Q Main box direct to your newest TV and adding a SKY multi room subscription plus a Mini box (split to the two 'legacy' TV's) may be your best option, more flexible too as now you can view two different channels simultaneously.

If you can find a solution which allows you to split the Main box to three TV's how much are you willing to spend?

Joe

dar2005

Thanks for your reply Joe.

I think you’ve misunderstood my issue.

I HAD a Sky Q main box connected to a HDMI splitter that successfully sent video and audio to all 3 TV’s.

I’ve now replaced Sky with Virgin. But with their V360 box connected to the same splitter, I only get picture and sound working to the two better TVs, not the old Pioneer plasma.

Happy to spend a bit if it will address the issue.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
You will need a scaler as well as a splitter, and this is where things can start to get expensive.

I would imagine the problem might be that the Virgin box is either not able to output a 1080i signal or is not interpreting the edid correctly, so is not outputting the resolution your old plasma requires. Have you tried forcing this resolution?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Oops - misread the SKY to Virgin swap.

If Virgin > current Distribution Amp > Two of your TV’s works as required at 1080p you can try adding a scaler/deinterlacer box (set to 1080i/720p) between the Distribution Amp and the 3rd TV.

Joe

dar2005

You will need a scaler as well as a splitter, and this is where things can start to get expensive.

I would imagine the problem might be that the Virgin box is either not able to output a 1080i signal or is not interpreting the edid correctly, so is not outputting the resolution your old plasma requires. Have you tried forcing this resolution?

Thanks. The Virgin box is set to 'automatic' resolution by default. I've just tried changing the default to 1080i. Whilst the picture still works fine on the two better TV's, still nothing coming through on the old one.

dar2005

Oops - misread the SKY to Virgin swap.

If Virgin > current Distribution Amp > Two of your TV’s works as required at 1080p you can try adding a scaler/deinterlacer box (set to 1080i/720p) between the Distribution Amp and the 3rd TV.

Joe

Thanks Joe. That's a good idea. Just need to find a suitable scaler / deinterlacer that will do that.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
What happens if you connect the Virgin box direct to the not working TV?

Joe

dar2005

What happens if you connect the Virgin box direct to the not working TV?

Joe
Works fine, if the Virgin box is on automatic resolution. I guess the Virgin box just keeps downscaling until it gets a connection(?)

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Next test is try Virgin > Distribution Amp > non working TV (all other TV's disconnected).

Try the not working TV on all three Output ports of the Distribution Amp.

HDMI requires the source to configure itself to the lowest common format all connected devices support - that also includes the HDCP encryption version, which may be your issue.

Joe

dar2005

Next test is try Virgin > Distribution Amp > non working TV (all other TV's disconnected).

Try the not working TV on all three Output ports of the Distribution Amp.

HDMI requires the source to configure itself to the lowest common format all connected devices support - that also includes the HDCP encryption version, which may be your issue.

Joe

Thanks Joe,

I just tried the following: -

Virgin 360 box set to output at 1080i, connected directly to my old Pioneer TV works perfectly.

I then made the connection via the ezcoo HDMI splitter, as you suggested without any other TV's plugged in. I tried each output port in turn, but none produce a picture on the old TV.

The Ezcoo HDMI splitter has switches to set the output from each port to either 4k or 1080p, neither of which the old TV supports. However, this same splitter worked perfectly to the old TV when previously connected to my Sky Q box.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Do you get a 'NO signal', 'Out of Range' or 'No HDCP" message on the TV when you connect via the 1x3?

Joe

dar2005

Do you get a 'NO signal', 'Out of Range' or 'No HDCP" message on the TV when you connect via the 1x3?

Joe

Nothing on the screen at all, just a black screen. I can hear a faint hum from the speakers which disappears when I unplug the HDMI from the splitter before connecting into the next port.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
If you are happy feeding 1080i50 to all three Displays you can stick an EDID manager between the Source and the 1x3 - that way you can set 1080i50 as the only EDID the Source will see (forcing the Source to Output 1080i) and pass that signal via the 1x3 to all three TV's.

Joe

PS Converting 2160p50 to 1080p50 is possible, converting 2160p50 to 1080i50 would be hugely costly, converting 1080p50 to 1080i50 is merely costly!

dar2005

Thanks for the suggestions. It would be a shame to downscale everything, and not be able to watch football in 4k on the 65inch Samsung.

I think your suggestion of a scaler/deinterlacer that can go after the HDMI splitter and before the old TV might be the best option.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Can we also assume you want to support HDR (where it is available) on the 65" TV?

Your least cost option may be to replace the legacy 'HD Ready' TV or consider a Min box for the HD Ready TV.

Which Pioneer TV do you have?

Joe

dar2005

Hi Joe,

Yes, I'd like to retain HDR on the 65" Samsung.

The Pioneer plasma is a PDP-506XDE (I think that's the number). I've had it since about 2005.

I'm still not sure why there isn't a splitter / downscaler that can receive a 4k signal, and then output specific formats to different HDMI outputs... 4k to the 65", 1080p to the 55" and 1080i to the Pioneer?

Just to add, I'm now contemplating adding a HDMI to S-Video between my HDMI splitter and Pioneer TV. Not sure what the picture quality would be like, but we only rarely use that TV.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I'm still not sure why there isn't a splitter / downscaler that can receive a 4k signal, and then output specific formats to different HDMI outputs... 4k to the 65", 1080p to the 55" and 1080i to the Pioneer?’ - cost is the simple answer.

Scaling, Deinterlacing, HDR to SDR conversion are all difficult to do well individually, start to combine the requirement and you require a box with ever changing firmware to keep up with developments.

Have a look at Lumagen - you are into multiple thousands of pounds to achieve what you require.

You have to look at your Source signal capabilities (up to 2160p, 60/50Hz/24p with HDR plus whatever audio formats you want to support) no ‘to S-video‘ converter is going to support that Source, you would have to limit the Source to (at best) 1080p, 60/50Hz with SDR.

Your least cost option is to add a second Source device to the PDP and keep is as a stand alone system.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom