1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a E30 3hr long DVD-R test disk

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mark Bennett, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Mark Bennett

Mark Bennett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I'm thinking of getting the Panasonic E30 but I want to get a test disk of recording at 3hr mode as most of what I want to do with it is to dupe material from my unweildy archive of VHS tapes and 99% are 3hrs long.

Can some kind volunteer make and finalise a 3hr disk (in that VBR time fit mode) for me to try on my Mico 890a? Can be anything - TV or sat feed of anything on.

I have a blank Traxdata I can send as a swap. Local panasonic shop is supposed to be doing this fo rme but they are proving to be useless.

Will post out blank later today with copy of my magazine

Mark Bennett
    Editor
    Black Ice Magazine
    2 Hollingbury Road
    Brighton, East Sussex
    ENGLAND BN1 7JA
    e-mail: blackice@pavilion.co.uk

Cheers

Mark

2. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Mark,

A fact that may help regarding the Panasonic shop's production of a disc:
    Using VBR mode, you won't actually have to produce 3 hours worth of material. All you need to do is make a 5 minute recording, on your blank disc, with the recording speed SET to 3 hours on FR mode. That will be the quality the whole disc will record at, and means that you could take your blank disc into the shop and do it yourself with an assitant hovering by!

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Ian

3. Mark Bennett

Mark Bennett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Sounds like a reasonable idea, but the display machine is not wired up at all.

So they say they need to put one together with a feed in the service area to make the disk and that's not happening for awhile.

You'd think that they would have a set of loan-able sample disks as compatibility would be a major issue with the recorders.

Mark

4. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hello Mark.
    I can do this for you if you like. I only received my recorder on Tuesday (still getting to grips with it). I am off work tomorrow so could do this for you then.I can post the disc on Saturday morning.Let me know if this is any use to you.

Regards...
    :)

5. Mark Bennett

Mark Bennett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Thanks - that would be great. If you have Sky etc, feel free to put a movie on it. Otherwise any broadcast to fill it up would be good. Or just set it to tape something over night and snail friday.

E-mail me your address and I'll snail you a blank disk and a copy of the mag.

Mark

6. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hello again Mark.
    Have got SKY etc. So i will record something this evening.
    I will email you my address details tomorrow.
    Kind Regards...
    ...:)

7. Mark Bennett

Mark Bennett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi captaindobie

Thanks for the disk - it works!!! The menu is somewhat screwed up but it does play.

E30 material plays fine on Mico 890a and the Philips 890 too.

Hope you got the blank disk and mag by return.

Just need to get my mula together and find best deal for the Panny and I'm off to dupe my crates of off air TV.

M

8. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi Mark.
    Yes, got the mag and the disc. Thanks very much. Glad the disc i sent you was a success. To let you know, i got my E30 from multionregionmagic.co.uk. £429 for a multiregion model. Very quick delivery. (ordered Sunday evening, arrived Tuesday afternoon!). Highly recommended.
    Kind regards...
    ...Brian :D

9. Mark Bennett

Mark Bennett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Did the disk I sent work ok? I went to panasonic's local shop and they said they tried one of the disks I sent and it didn't work, then bitched that the cheap disks shouldn't be used.

So I never did get the 2hr mode test disk. I could post the two up to if you can make a 2hr SP one.

Frankly I found Panasonic's shop and PR to to be rude and unhelpfull, so I have no guilt with going in one of the cheaper sources for the e30.

Mark

10. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I truly cannot see the point of Panasonic shops; they are such an appalling rip-off, and the staff seem to have less knowledge than even Comet or Dixons....
    And remember guys, I've never paid over £1 for a dvd-r; out of about 100 discs, I've had 2 failures; both the old white Bulkpaq type. So it's kind of rubbish for them to say cheap discs should be avoided...

11. Mark Bennett

Mark Bennett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

Same prob with the start up menu on the Mico 890a but disk does play OK.

M