Need a dvd recorder to pair with Sky+

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tinla, Dec 31, 2003.

1. tinla

tinla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A (cut down) outline of my setup:

- Sky+ connected to Amp by SVideo & Optical Audio
    - DVD Player connected to Amp by SVideo & Optical Audio.
    - HTPC (Computer) connected to Amp by Svideo (out) & Optical Audio (out) and Svideo (in) & Optical Audio (in)
    - Amp connected to TV by SVideo only (no audio).

I've tried to standardise (rightly or wrongly) on optical for the audio and svideo for the picture. It keeps things simple.

So.. I'm soon to have no means of archiving anything off my Sky+ box. There is no VCR and the HTPC is going to a new project. I need a DVD recorder that fits my setup, ie one that can accept video in from an SVideo cable (or SVideo to scart i guess) and the optical audio connector. I want to be able to record DD5.1 signals as I mainly watch films.

So what do people recommend? Most reviews I've looked at harp on about quality of program guides/recording scheduling etc. I have no need for that. The DVD recorder doesn't need a tuner or a menu great interface. I only want to record onto my SKY+ box and then archive off things I want to keep, which I'll do when I have a full DVDs worth using the SKY+ menu for recording to the VCR.

It annoyed me when I bought a TV that I was paying for a tuner and speakers I would never use, I'd like to avoid paying for for similar features in a DVD recorder.. I find they just get in the way.

2. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you wish to archive from sky+ I would definitely go for a HDD version as this will allow editing

If you are not bothered about editing then a E50 will do the job

of the ones available with a HDD I have the Tosh XS30

It is a great machine and I would recommend it

3. dml

dml

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I know none of the current crop of DVD recorders have a digital audio input facility, coax or optical. It is not possible to record a 5.1 soundtrack. This may change in the future.

Happy New Year!

4. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    If you're not bothered about editing ANY DVD recorder will do the job.

The Pannies are cheap and record to -R which is very compatible with existing machines. The RAM discs are not.

The Phillips do +RW and +R which are both quite well compatible.

-RW and -R seem to be the most compatible and for those I would personally suggest the Sony GX3 which is also a very very good standalone DVD player.

WHFi this month gave the E50/60 the award but hinted that if the GX3 had been cheaper it would have walked it.