• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Need a DVD player with S-Video

tikken

Standard Member
I need to buy a basic DVD player with S-Video for somebody for a gift. They only have an old CRT tv and their best input is S-Video. They requested a basic DVD player for Christmas. The only one I can find is a Magnavox - all the other brands seem to have dropped S-Video, which I find baffling, since it's still the best way to connect to an older CRT set. But the Magnavox has no front display and looks cheap.

Isn't there 1 DVD player out there currently being sold that has S-Video and a front panel display? It looks like I have to choose between a front display panel but no S-Video (composite only) or no front panel display but S-Video. Can anybody suggest a player? (Don't suggest telling them to get a new tv - already tried that and they're just not ready).

Why have they dropped S-Video but still include composite?

Last edited:

tikken

Standard Member
Nope, no scart on her set. Composite (yellow plug) and S-Video only. All the players I've seen except the Magnavox I mentioned above have HDMI for upscaling and a basic composite only - no S-Video. I don't get it - it used to be and still is the best way to connect a DVD player to a CRT in the USA, since we never had scart to my understanding. Yet it's all but extinct but they still use Composite.

Last edited:

alaniho

Currys have a Logik dvd Player in store at the moment which has an S-video output (as well as HDMI, component and RGB scart). I was actually looking for a DVD player today for my sister who still has a CRT and was suprised to see a proper S-video output on a new DVD player.

LOGIK L2HDVD11 HD-DVD Player buy online | Currys

tikken

Standard Member
Thanks for the link to that player. I actually stumbled onto a $35 player made by Alphaline in Sears yesterday (it seems to be a brand made specifically for Sears and K-Mart). It had S-video and a descent LED display as well, so I bought it and tested it out last night. The disc tray is quite flimsy, so I wonder how long it will last, but it actually feels much higher quality than the Magnavox I saw at Walmart, and it played everything I threw at it, including burned discs and PAL discs (although it is region-locked, and I didn't try mp3 discs). It also handled aspect ratios correctly, something an older LG player didn't do. And it has a lifetime warranty - bring into any Sears store anytime for an instant replacement.

It's amazing that cheapo brands give you better functionality than higher-end companies like Sony,Toshiba,Samsung,LG, etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom