1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a DVD player to go with 37PF9830

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by paul_Hants, Sep 20, 2005.

1. paul_Hants

paul_Hants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have posted this in the LCD TV thread, but the advice I seek will most likely come from here....

Bought and setup my 37PF9830 (£2250 from beyondtelevision.com - last week) :)

Everything went fine and generally happy. I am not a AV guru like many here, and really quite a noob, but learning fast.

I bought this as a upgraded replacement for a large 3 yrs old CRT screen, was going to buy the 9986 but waited for 9830 after reading about it on these pages.

My system consists of; Sky+, Bose Lifestyle 28, 37PF9830
    The best configuration I have achieved so far is Daisy Chained SVideo from Sky+ to Bose to LCD (EXT2 Scart Port), and Optical Audio from Sky+ to Bose.

This setup is very acceptable however it doesn't really take advantage of the high specifications of the screen.

The Bose system can produce an interlaced Component Video output [Y,Pr,Pb - don't know what resolution] however the LCD component port [EXT4] will only accept a progressive signal (480p, 576p, 720p according to philips tech support line - although manual says it will take 1080i). Consequently I get no image from the component feed from my Bose box. :(

I know many will say shouldn't have bought the Bose system - but my wife likes the styling and at the time of purchase 'ignorance was bliss' and I was impressed with what I heard - and I am very happy with the Audio reproduction at home. (Must say I am disappointed to have paid my price I did for a non progressive DVD player and also doesn't play DVD-A or SACD)

So my challenge now is to determine the most cost effective way of achieving an optimal video configuration. My current thinking is that I need to purchase an additional DVD player that outputs a compatible component video signal and that ideally I can daisy chain with my other units. :confused:

I really don't want to have to fork out more than I need to achieve my objectives, as my wife is already raising eyebrows at the level of 'investment'. :rolleyes:

Any constructive comments or suggestions welcome....