Need a convincing reason for the wife to upgrade!

lightpainter

Established Member
Reaction score
Having a chat to my wife about my plans to upgrading from a 20D to a 40D on my Birthday this month, she just said “do you really need to”? She also stumped me by saying “will your photos be any better with a new camera? As what you take now look OK to me”!

I must confess I’m finding it hard to convince myself now let alone her for a legitimate reason for the upgrade, especially as most of my best work is done PP in CS3.

Or is it just that dreaded disease 'upgradeitus' that all we hobby photographers suffer from?

Sounds familiar :rotfl:

If it aint broke, dont fix it :smashin:

If it aint broke, dont fix it :smashin:

Alternatively, if it ain't broke, break it. :D

Seriously though, there are so many ways to attack this. Ask your wife why she needs new clothes or makeup - then suggest that she always looks nicer because of them.

However, if you can't justify it to yourself, then you have to ask yourself if there is any point.

Great deal, fabulous offer, half price new model out, this has to be the bargain of the year....

That's convincing!

:clap:

Try copying the arctic explorer bloke from the Carlsberg ad;

"But it is my birthday!"

Seriously, have you exhausted the potential of your 20D and find it wanting for certain shots, or is there plenty there for you still?

Where's the :tempt: smiley when you want one?

Its easier to apologise than to ask for permission.

The way i did it was just buy it, live with the constant nagging for a while and say "told you so" when you get a cheque for cashback in a few weeks. Just need to convince her you wont spend much money buying a 40D and you will get some money back.

Oh and by the way, it is a brilliant camera and well worth extra money. Its now under £500

Your born...you die

The bit in between may as well be as happy and fulfilling as possible, and owning new toys makes me happy. So what if it takes the same photos as the older model. If I didn't spend money on things I didn't need I would never buy anything. Do it you know you want too:devil::devil:
Anyway - it's coming to these forums and seeing what everyone else has got that gives me the "itch I gotta scratch".
I blame you all for my permanently depleted back account.:D

I guarantee that if you buy the 40d you will see little or no difference in the quality of your photos.

On the plus side, the poor shopkeeper will have liberated a great pile of cash from your wallet and will be off to the pub to celebrate.

You could spend the money on a new lens to compliment your kit.

If though, you have that illogical urge to blow your hard earned on the latest model which has lots of new features that you'll never use, then go on and buy it.
While you're in the shop, you could also put your name down for the 60D, which will probably be out very soon:devil:

Cheers,

Gavin

a still very happy E1 owner

Pick your moment carefully, then just tell her you're sick of her ways, the constant nagging, the annoying little habits and then just tell her to pack her bags.

Edit: Oh sorry just read the post - you mean a camera don't you? :rolleyes:

Is gpl1968 your wife :D

Why are women so logical when it comes to you sending money yet so illogical when they do :rolleyes::confused::rolleyes::mad::devil:

Pick your moment carefully, then just tell her you're sick of her ways, the constant nagging, the annoying little habits and then just tell her to pack her bags.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

:D

Just tell her that if you don't upgrade you will lose face on the forum on which you spend the majority of your time..........she'll understand :laugh:

Jeezo are you a Man or a Mouse? :D it's a great camera at a great price and the cashback only runs until June, just get it and we'll be the judge of the pics ;)

Mike.

Just tell her that if you don't upgrade you will lose face on the forum on which you spend the majority of your time..........she'll understand :laugh:

Hardly Steve, that’s another bone of contention – the time I spend online with you guys!

I find not telling her even better :D

Likewise:smashin:.Would she notice?. My wife didnt when the 30D replaced the 350D( To be fair the 350D had a battery grip though)

Life is for the living and we can all find excuses not to spend ,but what a life it would be if we all bought with the head and not the heart!

Its true the 40D is a want..but it is a very serious VFM want ( even the 30D was costlier this time last year) and it is a " better " camera than the 20D. Tell her too, body only . no need for any lenses!
That doesnt mean youll get better images with it than the 20D but youll have a damn sight more fun ( and a warm feeling) using it..
There seems to be a genetic blueprint that makes wives question anything that can be described as a "Boys Toy!:rolleyes:
If a surprise Dinner, roses, and chocolates doesn't do it. the 50D will happen.. at some point later;)
PS: A lovely portrait of her ( Im sure you though of that too) should pacify the online time issue.. We all get that!!

With the price of the 40D at under £500 it's very hard to resist. I couldn't....

I went from the 400D -> 40D and I don't regret it one bit. Are my photos any better? Well it's better/quicker/more accurate focusing so yes it's helped them. 6.5fps is great for taking pics of my kids in action. Better build, Better ISO performance, 14bit etc etc

Just tell her that the 20D is due a 100,000 mile service and it's going to cost mega £££ to get it done. Needs an oil change, new timing belt etc :devil: It's more economical to sell it and buy a 40D with a years warranty and 3 years service included :D

Just to offer an alternative point of view on this.....

Whilst the 40D is a great camera and extremely good value for money right now, the 20D isn't too shabby either AND I think you might see a bigger benefit if you spent £500 supplementing and / or upgrading your lenses.
They'll hold their value better too :smashin:

Just go with the "do you really need those [shoes/clothes/random crap] you just bought" everytime she comes home with something new until she gives in. Get the new camera then continue the hassle until she relents and lets you have new glass.

Alternatively simply tell her this hobby gives you great pleasure, takes you out of the house and gets you excersize. Why shouldn't you spend money on it :)

Personally I discuss everything with my missus and take her opinions on board but she has to convince me I don't need it/shouldn't spend the cash rather than the other way round.

Also what's with the:

Lightpainters missus said:
“will your photos be any better with a new camera? As what you take now look OK to me”!

Ok, only Ok! I would be seriously hacked off and say well I'd better upgrade then if they are only Ok! ;)

Just to offer an alternative point of view on this.....

Whilst the 40D is a great camera and extremely good value for money right now, the 20D isn't too shabby either AND I think you might see a bigger benefit if you spent £500 supplementing and / or upgrading your lenses.
They'll hold their value better too :smashin:

Well Colin that opens up a whole new can of worms!
OK lads lets have your recommendations for new glass, up to around £600.00

hmmm depends what u like to shoot, what focal range do u shoot most?

24-105L IS is a great lens - £530ish from kerso after cashback

or sell your 75-300 and replace it with either 70-200 f4 or 70-200IS f4 plus 1.4x convertor. Big IQ/focusing/colour improvement over the 75-300. Just depends if you like having a white lens

10-20 wide angle? Good fun lens

Difficult to answer without more info. If you're happy with the scope your current lenses give you and don't want anything different, you could go down a pure upgrade route. Depending on what you could sell existing lenses for, you might just run to a 17-55IS F2.8 and a 70-300IS. Failing that substitute the new 55-250IS for the 70-300.

Alternatively if you're happy with the IQ and speed of existing lenses you could supplement them with one or more different lenses. You might consider a fast prime or two if you want to take portraits with creamy bokeh, a macro if that holds any interest or an ultrawide (Sigma 10-20, Canon 10-22 or Tokina 12-24) for landscape stuff. £600 would give you a fair few options and combinations. All depends what appeals.

Or indeed you might do a bit of both....

As Bubble says the 24-105L is a great lens and whilst it was intended for full-frame use, a few people here are happy with it on a 20D/30D/40D. Personally I'd recommend it ONLY if you have (or intend to get) an ultrawide.

Good luck deliberating :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom