Need a cheap DVD/HDD Recorder around £100

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by wicker_man, Apr 22, 2007.

1. wicker_man

wicker_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Our DVD player has recently broken (no sound output), so I'm looking for a DVD recorder to replace it with a hard drive in (80GB).

I know I won't get much for a £100 budget (or possibly a bit more) but it only needs to last a year or so until we renovate the lounge and get a nice AV setup. It is just for use on a Panasonic 28" widescreen CRT TV at the moment, and recording from Sky to HDD/DVD and VHS tapes to DVD.

I found this Liteon LVW-5025GHC+ refurb from SVP for £90 but it's out of stock. Reviews seem OK for the price:
    http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=2284

And also this Samsung for £100, but have read mixed reviews and complaints of unintuitive controls:
    http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele..._DVD_HR730_DVD_80GB_HDD_Recorder/Product.html

So, if anybody can give advice on any good recorders and suggest some models, it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. ched

ched

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I bought a Liteon 5025 from svp last week, its my first DVD/HD recorder and its great. It can be made multi reigon with just the remote, It seems to record in very good quality, the editing is fairly easy. Although its labeled as a refurb, i couldnt tell it wasnt new. No marks on it and still had the protection film on the front panel, the remote and batteries were still sealed.

For the money I am very impressed with it, the only problem I have is that I am using the component video out to my projector which gives a great picture. But when I try and watch Sky, RGB out (scart) into Liteon it converts it to Component but its a poor picture. It doesnt say in the manual tat it can do this so I am not complaining.
    But what I cant seem to find in the menu is how to select the recording on the scart input but using RGB. It just seems to record 'scart' I have contacted Liteon and they say it can record the RGB in on scart, they pointed me at the web site but I cant find it so I am waiting a reply.

Overall its a great machine.

3. wicker_man

wicker_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Thanks for the reply, it looks like I'll probably go for that if SVP get any stock in or if anybody knows if it is £100 or less elsewhere.

If not, are there any other reccomendations of different recorders?

Would it be advisable to look for a used/refurb older model? A quick look on eBay shows the following players going for around £100ish (without P+P):

Panasonic DMR-EH50
    Sony RDR-HX510/HX525
    JVC DR-MH20S

Thanks