1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a cheap dig camera quick

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Peter O Sullivan, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Peter O Sullivan

Peter O Sullivan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all
    I haven't looked into digital camera in ages and now don't have to time to do it so hopefully some one here can help.
    I have about 200Euro max to get one. I am just looking for a camera that is roughly 3 megapixels, a 2 or 3 optical zoom and I deff dont want one that has a really long time delay (press the button and half an hour later the pic is taken). And not to bulky. Pocket sized!
    I am flying off in 2 weeks and need one before I go. Hopefully some one here will know the best one for about that price. The cheaper the better. Most of the talk on the forum is about the higher end market.
    Cheers for any help
    Peter

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  3. Jayde

Jayde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You keep missing pocket size mate;) That's never going to fit in his pocket and his budget is only 200 euros max. Thats not a lot of money to go on

5. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How much is that in ££?
    Ahh I see, £135. I would look into a fuji point and shoot. I had the A205s which got brilliant reviews and is now if you could find it about £99 or 145 Euros. It's probably a bit bulky now though, there are slimmer models out there but the Fuji quality was excellent and i would recommend them again.

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,483
    He must work for Panasonic :D

7. Jayde

Jayde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why are you deliberatley showing somethng he hasnt asked for?

Hey just get an FZ3 because thats what I have and therefore everyone should have the same :rolleyes:

He didn't ask for the latest and best he asked for a compact and cheap - can't you read?

9. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about the Fuji A330 or A340 they are round about £100 and would do you just fine :)

10. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Its not pocket size, you will not fit that in your pocket and you are missing another vital point he only has £135 You seem ignorant of two glaring facts: one that will never fit in his shirt jean pocket because of the zoom lens and 2 the cheapest i saw it for was £281 now that's way above £135 wouldnt you say.

Myself, Garrett and Nicola have 10Xzoom cameras and we know full well what will and what wont fit in your pocket. I'd tell him to get the S1 over the panasonic if he was after a zoom lens, but one they are not pocketable and 2 he's not got enough money

11. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mate the panasonic looks a very nice camera. It's not that i dont like it, it looks good. It's just out of his price and size range i'm afraid.

12. oakwood49

oakwood49

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002HBLL8/pricerunner-21/202-5975585-4582247

Konica Minolta Dimage X31 Digital Camera ( 3.2MP , 3 x Optical ) £118.57

Slim lines and 115-gram/4.1-ounce weight mean this camera goes anywhere.;The stylish DiMAGE X31 is also light and compact and it's only 24.5mm/1.0in. Thick (21.5mm/0.8in. excluding the LCD monitor). The amazing thing is that it stays slim even when you shoot with the zoom

13. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That looks to be a good choice, the only drawback is that i can see, is that it cant record sound with movies, if that matters to him. Plus it doesnt have a few finder

From http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/dimagex31_pg5.html

"I was disappointed with the quality of its 1.5-inch LCD. Considering that this is the only viewfinder on this camera, I would have thought they would have made it with an anti-reflective coating. When taking sample photos outdoors, I found it very difficult to use in bright sunlight. And it doesn't do much better in low-ambient light, though it does "gain up" to help brighten your subject, it is very grainy."

But lets face it £135 means doesn't leave you with a lot of scope. You're always going to have some draw backs at that price

14. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/OS400/ST40A.HTM A pretty good review fro one of the most respected review sits and a lot more indepth then one man with his cam

The Olympus Stylus film cameras are currently among the best selling point-and-shoot models available, widely popular across a range of consumer experience levels. Now, with the Stylus 300 and 400 Digitals, Olympus brings the popular Stylus brand into the digital world, a move that should go over well with Olympus fans. Besides its user-friendly interface, compact design and good picture quality, its excellent (and unusual) water sealing makes the Stylus 400 a very appealing choice for a "take anywhere" camera. Battery life is excellent as well. Overall, the Stylus 400 shoots as good as it looks (slightly better than the Stylus 300, in fact), and is rugged enough to stand up to knocks and the occasional rain storm: A combination deserving serious consideration by anyone in the market for a compact, stylish digicam, and one of the better compact digicams out there.

15. la guitars

la guitars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm no expert but have a look at the Nikon coolpix 3200.

i just bought one and it seems value for money

16. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  17. Peter O Sullivan

Peter O Sullivan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers everyone,
    haven't got some many quick replies before. Looks like the Olympus Mju 400 and a 265Meg xD card. Can't see anywhere on Amazon where to get extra battery. Anyone know of where I can get one cheap?
    I know this ain't the camcorder section but anyone else know where I can buy a few miniDV tapes, about 15 maybe (preferably sony cause thats what I have been using)
    Left this a bit late, going to Australia for a year in 13 days!
    Cheers again

18. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,483
    See this page here HardBoiledEgg has found 5 places that sell them reasonable.

19. Peter O Sullivan

Peter O Sullivan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Garett,
    just oredered the camera and xD card from Amazon and a another battery from global-batteries.co.uk. I had used them before but totally forgot to see if they had it.
    Thanks again to this forum, another few hundred well spent!

20. Orson

Orson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +675
    I'd recommend the Konica Minolta Dimage X31.
    Small (shirt pocket size), light, runs off standard AA batteries, 3xOptical Zoom (a clever internal system, no protruding lens), takes SD/MMC cards, can do video (limited only by the size of the memory card), and has a very fast startup time (<1 sec) too.

Pixmania.co.uk have one shown here with a 256MB SD card for £137, which is just about €200

Just another one for the pot!

EDIT
    :oops: I'm late as usual. If only I could type faster

21. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you go back a page, some issues were brought out about the minolta

22. Orson

Orson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +675
    Well, I am surprised about the sound thing. I've got the model previous to that, (2.1 MP) and that does record sound (surprisingly well) with the movies. What a strange thing for them to omit. And the lack of optical view finder can be a bit of a pain, especially in bright sunlight, but the display is quite good, and I've never found it too much of a problem.
    I was going to recommend the model I had, and when I did a search to get a price, I found the X31, which just seemed the same, but with a higher resolution - I didn't notice the lack of sound.

23. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dont suppose that was too much an issue for him now seeing as he's taking his mini DV with him

24. Peter O Sullivan

Peter O Sullivan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You answered the question about the Konica for me there, Keanyboy. And as you assumed, i will be taking the minDV with me. It is just that i don't want to drag it everywhere with me so little clips on the camera would be handy on a night out.
    Only thing is that I can't get the camcorder insured under any type of backpacker insurance (well not for any residence of Ireland). Max item limit is 200Euro (not worth a ******). If only life was simple. Anyone else ever had the same problem?
    Well if it is broke or robbed on my travels, it will be replaced by the new Sony HDR-FX1 Hi-def camcorder for about 3000US$ (well, when i come back and get a another job).

25. glebecs

glebecs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just picked up a Minolta Dimage XT from ebay for £119+£16 delivery (steep delivery I know), 3mp and a very good review at steves digicams here http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/dimagext.html , I have bought it to replace my Dimage7 which is a great camera but unfortunately I never want to carry it around so miss lots of photo opportunities

26. flappa

flappa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How much would you give me for a cannon ES 300D 246mb flash memcard pizza bag, and spare battery... if the price is right i'll even throw in a tripod, bought as a gift but it doesn't get used that often, to me seems like a waste of money, + Olympus A205 spare battery and cradle plus 128mb memcard and spare battery or a fuji finepix camera, bought for undeserving partner....

looking for good home, wanting to sell to pay off some debts that i have aquired?

:boring:

27. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1