Need a Camcorder

koolpc

Banned
I am after a camcorder that is both small, has great quality can take Memory cards and is around £150. Any ideas? Thanks

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
My son got a Sony Bloggie CM5 to assist him with sports technique tutoring at his school. It is easy to use and to transfer footage to PC. It has a good spec. His initial trials are very impressive.

£140 here.

Julesw

Novice Member
suggest you get the very new kodak playtouch

takes memory cards, has audio input and a nice big screen for playback, brighter in low light than the older zi8, shoots 1080p hd

j

Last edited:

tvdavid

suggest you get the very new kodak playtouch

takes memory cards, has audio input and a nice big screen for playback, brighter in low light than the older zi8, shoots 1080p hd

j
I notice it has no zoom?
Just digital.

Julesw

Novice Member
good point, these cams can be pushed in on the zoom a little without problems but are hopeless for things like sports days, school plays - I just use them in ways that does work eg interviews, reality style shooting, holidays

I didn't notice the budget was up to £250 ... a legria might be work (but does it have a mic input I'm not sure) but playtouch + a mini tripod and an audio technica mic would be over £200...always best not to skimp on a few accessories ..add a cheap light (with cool eco bulb for say £40 incl stand) and you can shoot some great footage.

I shot most of this on pocket cams .. also amazed with the iphone 4 when used with an external mic and light

j

Julesw

Novice Member
bloggie zoom is handy, shame no audio input though, I put audio before picture, though all depends what you shoot.

Julesw

Novice Member
fyi

kodak zi8 (now less than £100)
new kodak playtouch
new flip ultra HD 3rd gen (has new flip port)
iphone 4

all have mic inputs

j

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
fyi

kodak zi8 (now less than £100)
new kodak playtouch
new flip ultra HD 3rd gen (has new flip port)
iphone 4

all have mic inputs

j
But no optical zoom! To me a Camcorder is primarily intended for recording movies. Audio is of secondary importance - it does have to be reasonable however. Apart from school children making their own investigative video I have never ever seen a domestic camcorder used with an external mike. A flexible variable speed optical zoom is IMHO essential.

Julesw

Novice Member
this is getting interesting..

like i said earlier if you want to film your kid at sports day or school play then lack of zoom = video fail!

but we need to look at the new way video is being used online, it's no longer families and pros, there are loads of pocket cam users who own microphones who want to get better sound, who are they?

for example..

vloggers/bloggers
life coaches
fitness instructors
membership site owners (they make video content)
trainers
dentists (yes even they record customer testimonials)
prs
journos

etc etc

they don't actually need zoom but they shoot themselves or interview others in spartan echoey offices or outdoors or at expos so buy lapel mics to get way better sound than the onboard mic.

it all depends on usage

j

TommyZ

Novice Member
I have a Sony HX5v Camera which does great quality HD Video with a zoom and Dolby stereo sound. It can fit in a pocket.

Last edited:

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
this is getting interesting..

like i said earlier if you want to film your kid at sports day or school play then lack of zoom = video fail!

it all depends on usage

j
And any of innumerable sports events or pageants or parades or family events incuding 90th birthday parties then lack of zoom also = video fail. Apart from the odd you tube video content why would these people who use mikes think that anyone is going to watch (and listen ) to what they record? If my dentist made a video to promote his practice - I would move to another practice! If I seriously wanted to promote a business using video I would get a professional in rather than mucking about with the likes of a Playsport / Mino etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom