Need a camcorder for my wedding...

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Oblit3ration, May 5, 2007.

1. Oblit3ration

Oblit3ration
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Got my wedding coming up soon... the mother has offered to buy us a digital camcorder (plus I'm sick of using my digital camera for videos as it is rather pants at this job!)

Can anyone recommend a camera for around £300-£400?

Is it worth spending a little more than this on a camera, or are any benefits gained not really noticed till you spend £600+?

We don't have any HD equipment yet, but it is in the pipeline (maybe xmas '07 we may get a Plasma and Sky HD)

We will be using the camera mostly for the usual stuff, filming holidays, skiing trips etc and I do enjoy my car shows so it will travel with me to those.

I won't need it for any still photography as I have my compact and soon to arrive SLR for that.

Seen these so far:

SONY DCR SR32
    SONY DCR SR52
    SONY DCR DVD 306
    SONY DCR DVD 106

...and this one at a lot more than I was hoping, but will consider it if its worth the extra:
    SONY HDR UX3

Realising they are all Sony's, I've been a typical consumer and been lead to believe that they are the "best" but I'm sure thats not totally the case really - I just don't have a clue!!!

Many many thanks for any advice.

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    In the £300-£400 range, you'll get best quality for your money with miniDV (tape). Though Sony has cut back their range in favour of other formats.. a Sony HC96 (discontinued, but some still around) is a nice cam in this range. Or Panasonic GS300 or new GS320. Both with 3 CCDs.

Of the models you list.. I don't think much of the SR32/52. DVD106 is Ok for the money; 306 is better.

The UX3 takes you closer to £600, which gets you in range of High Def models (which the UX3 is). For similar money you can get the HC5 HDV cam, which I think is better.

Another to consider inbetween is the Sony SR190.... it's larger sensor makes it better than the 32/52.

3. Oblit3ration

Oblit3ration
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice, would you recommend spending the extra to get the HD camera or would £400ish be enough to get something worthwhile?

4. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    £400 ish will get you a good standard def camcorder... played on SD kit it will be as good as a £600 HD cam.

The main advantage of spending the extra to go to HD now is that when you eventually get the HD kit (in say 1 or 2 years), you'll have 1 or 2 years of HD footage to watch on it... rather than SD.

So I think it's worth going for HD now... but it depends on your budget.

5. Oblit3ration

Oblit3ration
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've got another couple of question to add.

With regards to these to digital video cameras:

Sony DCR-SR190 and Sony DCR-SR32, realising that you said the SR190 is a better camera than the SR32, is the 190 worth the approximate £250 - £300 more? Also, my ignorance is playing up here! I have noticed on the resulting spec sheets for each camera that the lower priced SR32 has an optical zoom of 40x (http://www.jessops.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?SkuId=48310), but the 190 has an optical zoom of 10x (http://www.jessops.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?SkuId=48306).

I would have thought that the higher the optical zoom, the better? or is this (pretty obviously) not the case?

Many thanks once again.

6. mmace

mmace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I got married in the summer of 2005, I had it filmed with my 3CCD camcorder, I knew I would be upgrading to HDTV in the NEAR future but couldn't afford a new camcorder. Around 6 months after the wedding I upgraded the TV to HD and got an HDV camcorder.
    I now cringe at the quality of the wedding knowing what could have been if I had have gone HD just 6 months earlier. Luckily I had the HD camcorder for the birth of my son this year so when he grows up all the video of him will be in HD as most TV's will be HD when he's older too.

Personally, I'd say try and get a little extra cash and get an HD camcorder, there's no harm in futureproofing yourself right now and you won't be dissapointed when you do upgrade to HDTV (SD material from most sources on an HDTV doesn't look that good)

7. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    SR190 is much better than SR32, and I agree with mmace that if you can go high def it's worth it.

I would have thought that the higher the optical zoom, the better? or is this (pretty obviously) not the case?

Not the case. The reason has to do with the size of the sensor and the physics of lenses. The simple explanation is a smaller sensor is "easier" to zoom. Smaller sensors are also cheaper, and perform not as well (especially in low light) vs. larger sensors. So, what you get is cheaper models with a small sensor tend to have high optical zooms; better cams with a larger sensor(s) have typically 10x or 12x zoom. Note 10x or so is generally enough.

8. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Anyone who has seen Hidef footage played on an HDTV wont need any persuading to pay the difference.
    it is not a marketing gimmick.. the visual treat from the extra resolution is amazing..

To the OP.. I would give those DVD camcorders a miss ... the convenience of simple dropping a recorded DVD in a DVD player is at a cost..ther arent VFM at all compared to tape and HDD... whether SD or HD..

9. Oblit3ration

Oblit3ration
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    In terms of video quality they are basically the same.
    The difference with the HC7 is with connectivity and manual controls. The HC7 has a external mic and headphone jack, also more manual controls (shutter speed) and a cam control dial which can be used for manual focus or other settings. It also has 6 MP stills vs. 4 MP for the HC5.

11. Oblit3ration

Oblit3ration
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wonderful, many thanks. I'll go for the cheaper one :)