Need a bit of advice please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by av geek, Jan 2, 2012.

1. av geek

av geek
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all for the past 10 years I have been using the Yamaha RX-V640RDS 6.1 and it has been an excellent amp and still going strong but sadly I need to upgrade to an amp with HDMI's because everything goes through my amp i.e sky ,projector,xbox etc,
    I am very interested in buying the Onkyo 609 ,
    my current speakers are
    fronts mission 702e
    front center mission 70
    rears jamo studio 170
    rear center yamaha nsc90
    downward firing active jamo subwoofer
    quite mis match I know but has kept me happy for years,
    Anyways my question is my speakers are a little old and quite tired now I feel, so any recommendations on what speakers and sub will sound as good if not better on the onkyo 609 would be greatly appreciated.

thankyou.

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,410
    The 609 I believe is basically a comparable amp to your current one so should give similar sound quality. If you like the sound of your current amp have you considered the Yamaha 671 or denon 1912. The denon is at a particularly good price at the moment so well worth a look and gives you more for the speaker ungrade. What budget do you have for receiver and speakers?

3. av geek

av geek
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi PSM1 thanks for reply the reason I didn't consider the Yamaha or Denon is because I have always wanted to experience THX sound at home and the Onkyo has this option.
    I don't really have a budget at the moment just I know having a new amp new speakers would benefit as they are all over 10 years old ,my rear jamos are a floor stander and in a 7.1 set up they would have to be repositioned and they are to big to go anywhere else really.
    Would bi-polar be a good idea as the side speakers or just normal bookshelves?

thanks again.

P.s My front center is actually an Acoustic Energy AEGIS EVO so that shows you how long ago I have looked at the rear of my speakers i forgot it was an Acoustic lol.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  4. av geek

av geek
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was thinking of putting some mission mx3 and mx1 on this amp keeping my acoustic as center and getting the Velodyne CHT-8Q as sub my dilema now is bipolar as sides or normal bookshelves?

5. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,410
    I would not worry too much about the THX bit on the Onkyo as IMHO it is more of a gimmick and/or marketing trick than anything of any use. Unless you plan to get THX speakers etc. then you will not have the true THX experience anyway. I would go and demo a couple of the other amps and then pick the one you like the best other than an unheard amp just because they have paid THX to have it licenced.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,370
    Buy the THX T-Shirt, its a lot cheaper (welll cheaper) than the amp ;)

I think they do coffee mugs too :confused:

7. av geek

av geek
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny you say that my wife says the same thing about THX thinks it is overrated as its not an independant sound format , I would love to hear for myself though lol.

Anyways many thanks for help PSM1 I will be going to the nearest demo room to have a listen at different things ,any opinion on having bipolar as sides or will bookshelves do ?

8. av geek

av geek
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

LOL :thumbsup:

9. Steve Webb

Steve Webb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    My recommendation is don't buy brand new kit. Spend c£500 on a 2-3yr old Onkyo or Denon avr and replace all your speakers with M&K speakers or MK Sound as they are now known and a BK Electronics Sub.

Cheers
    Steve