need a bit of advice on giving up!

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Jamiewalshe, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Jamiewalshe

Jamiewalshe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    hello guys, im after a bit of advice please

over the last few months ive been thinking of selling my nikon d2x (and a 17-55dx lens, and a ton of accessories!). this will leave me without a camera whatsoever. over the year ive had to get rid of lots of my kit for money problems (the sig is out of date, i apologise). but money problems are long sorted, and im only left with my core kit. i was tempted to rebuy some of my stuff.

however

i have only 'properly' used my camera once or twice since march 06, after buying this d2x in early sept 05. lots of reasons for this really, but i shant go into them. i basically have near to no motivation to pick up a camera again, and havent for a long time. a couple of years ago i nearly turned to photography full time, and to be honest when i upgraded my dslr to a d2x i was estatic. the thing is, as i havent used it in so long (and really, cant see myself getting back into it in the near future) im thinking i want to get rid of it. there is loads of stuff i could do with the money, that i would certainly be more happy with, and ive been debating it (getting so far as writing an ad for the classifieds, then deleting before i submitted it!) but i know it would kill not be with it anymore. its sad, but its pretty much my prize possesion, and a part of me has only kept it about in case i get back into photography again. i usually get asked to do jobs from old contacts, but always pass them up.

as photography has been a big daily part of my life (bar last year) since i was 16, i feel stupid wanting to throw it all in, but i feel given all my kit is packed away in bags with minimal use and a low shutter click count, id be a bit silly to leave it there for what could be a long time before i decided to get back into photography. at least now i can get something for it. after using this camera i couldnt go to anything lower. its probably snobbery, but ive never even owned a point and click in my life (in digital form anyway), always slrs or dslrs, and i would hate the restrictions . it just wouldnt feel right, and ive never seen a point in me owning one. so to get back in after i sell up would be expensive, as i would HAVE to buy a d2xs and a 17-55 at a minimum!! :thumbsdow

everyone knows me for my hobby. people at work, my family, friends etc. i used to have a website (i didnt bother to renew the domain last year) and thoroughly enjoyed the hobby. i grew up and learnt on olympus om equipment, taught myself and have even (twice :D ) taught others as a guest at a local college my ex was at. but things have changed!

sorry for the long thread, i know its my choice, and its hard to give advice like this, but can anyone give me any ideas how i can make my mind up? or do i sell up and forget about it (like i pretty much have the entire of the year) or do i literally force myself to get back into the hobby?

hope anyone can help with my dilemma? :lease:

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +894
    You didnt say when your money problems were solved but I am guessing it wasnt that long ago. Personally I would wait until you personally have recovered from the stress that money problems cause and not just your bank balance. You will make a significant loss when selling anything second hand (thankfully photography kit seems to hold its price better than other things) and will kick yourself if in 4 months when the stress has passed that you feel you really want to get back into photography.

3. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    There is no point trying to force yourself back into a hobby in my opinion. If you don't enjoy it anymore then it's as simple as that really. The only rub is that if you suddenly decide that you feel like getting out there again you could end up spending thousands just to get back in at the level you expect to gear wise. if you don't then it's not like you are going to lose loads on the second hand value in a few months.

The only advice I could give would be to wait until summer before making the decision, you might find that better weather could change things and give you the incentive to get back out there shooting. From your post there appears to be some external factor affecting your decision. Things change so i wouldn't make any rash decisions yet. You could always come along to the Birmingham Meet and see if that changes your mind.

4. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    It seems you have one of two ways to go. If you do need the money then sell it and sort yourself out first. It's just a camera and shouldn't form an emotional attachment that takes you into debt before financial security.

If it's more short-term and you think you might rebuy over the coming months, and don't need the money that badly (but it would just be nice to realise the cash) then it's a tougher call and my initial thoughts are to ask yourself what you want to get from photography and whether you need that level of kit. Are you shooting stuff that demands a pro body and glass, and do you make any money from it. It sounds to me that you might be a little jaded with it all and the line "...i usually get asked to do jobs from old contacts, but always pass them up" is quite telling in that regard.

IF you don't have to own that level and kit to enjoy yourself then flog it, get a little D50 and a 17-50mm Tamron or something and carry it around to see if you can fall in love with it again. It you can't then you know you made the right decision. The 17-55mm won't lose much in 2007, but the D2x will devalue each month, especially with a new FF Pro body rumoured.

You haven't used it since March though - what does that tell you? I'm not using my kit much but that's a) the weather is lousy, b) the wedding season doesn't start for me until March and c) it's always dark when I get home. I am gagging for some decent light to get back out there.

5. Jamiewalshe

Jamiewalshe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    well, it wasnt really. my ex left me with a lot of her debt when we split up (another story, but i have been recovered for a couple of months now) so the money i get from this (im thinking around 3k) would purely go on a new tv for me, and the rest into savings. id be gaining from selling it, so thats the major aspect thats almost edging me on. i know the value wont decrease too much in a month or so, but it has had many price drops since i bought it (and obviously the d2xs is about now) and the longer i leave it, the more it devalues!

ive been thinking about this on and off for months. i passed through the entire summer of last year without really touching my camera, but i think maybe you're right and i should consider waiting it out a bit longer.

thanks for the advice so far guys :smashin:

6. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    FWIW I know that some retailers are selling mint UK D2x bodies (used) for around £1500-1600. You should get £675-700 for the 17-55mm.

7. Bales1983

Bales1983

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive been there once, i went back to the place where i took my first proper photo (next to a church in the country) and sat for an hour or so, thought about life and the future, then thought, my camera has been with me taking split seconds of my life and the world and freezing them forever, this is just another part of life and another addition to the photo album so to speak, and from then i had new interest in photography!

It has been with me through ups and downs, looking back at pictures of myself, in some i smile, others i look sad, in some very vacant. each snap is a memory mate, in my opinion the more memories the better.

And if my local pictures get put into a book in 200 hundred years time all the better!

Lee

8. Jamiewalshe

Jamiewalshe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    i had a look at some second hand prices, and was expecting around £2500 for the camera and lens, and an extra 500 for accesories (batteries,flash guns, cf cards, bags, etc - that would be no point in owning) - so thats confimed really what i was expecting. i would be keeping my lighting equipment, as a) its all tungston or reflective and b) from time to time my brother scripts short films, and we borrow an xl1s from a college to film it, so its always handy!

between the ages of 18-20 i used to do a lot of portraits in my local area, with a very occasional wedding, and then moved onto band photography from 20ish. a few of the local venues and bands still contact me asking if i can shoot their gig or if i can do a band shoot with them. however i no longer advertise this service.

cheers for the kind advice :smashin:

9. Jamiewalshe

Jamiewalshe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29

ive tried that sort of thing as well, even had a look through my old slides and negs that havent been taken out of storage for years. and i didnt feel anything. how i am now, to how i was when i got into the hobby seriously has completely changed, so i dont think ill be able to rekindle my love that easily. however that has no reflection on why ive not been doing any recently! i used to think exactly the same way as you, id bring my camera to the office with me most days just in case i saw something that needed photographing.

good old time. i think i just need some motivation. ive given myself projects to do. almost started them, then the irony would kick in and a my lamp would unexpectadly fail and not start up again, or something would crop up at the last minute and take my mind off it. so id stick the camera back in the bag and accept defeat!

10. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    I wonder if this isn't more symptomatic of some sort of depression Jamie - one of the first signs is lack of interest in hobbies etc. Apologies if that's out of line but the ex-factor also made me wonder.

11. tontoshorse

tontoshorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +691
    Just one question - do you have any other interests?
    As Radiohead suggests, the big D may be a factor.
    Good luck in whatever you decide.

How about a wildlife photo for this months compo?:)

12. Jamiewalshe

Jamiewalshe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    you're pretty perceptive. i had a spate of fairly mild depression not too long ago (to do with the ex, and its not the first time ive been messed up by a long term girlfriend), and it left me temporarily pretty bitter about relationships, but the way my life has been going the last couple of months would tell you that im very much over that now, and i absolutely love all aspects of my life. i seriously cannot remember a period of my life where ive been this happy, but thankyou for the concern :D

god i have even started to grow up and almost enjoy my job :rolleyes:

i seem to be getting new hobbies weekly, but photography had always been the biggest and most important to me. its the only one thats suffered as well

13. Jamiewalshe

Jamiewalshe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29

ive never entered the photo comp (and ive been saying i will for ages, i used to write down the choosen subject in my phone :cool: just in case) but i shall see if i can make an effort this time :)

14. bodoman

bodoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,856
    Maybe you are not so recovered from all that has ailed you in the year as you think.
    Not trying to push you back into something you dont want to do, but a lot of members on here have gone through similar problems to yourself and can offer advice that you can take in or not, but worth listening to anyway.

My own experience was somewhat similar to yours, i was on my own after a very traumatic divorce for about 2 years, in the pits of despair and in that time i dont remember taking one photograph, i was just not in the right frame of mind.
    Did not have a reason to use my camera, could not bother going on holiday or
    interesting places, what was the point on my own, yes i had a good old wollow in my own misery.

But then life changed (as it does) met someone new, moved in together, then eventually got married again.
    Suddenly the old spark returned, starting going on holidays together going to interesting places at weekends. etc
    Now not only had my mental outlook on life had changed but i know had a reason to take photographs again and have been enjoying it ever since.

So my advice would be to give it bit more time before selling on your kit, its early days my friend and you will probably feel a lot different in another couple of months.:)

15. Jamiewalshe

Jamiewalshe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    thank you very much for the advice, and im very glad you got all sorted out. congrats!. yeah i wasnt feeling too great, but ive been feeling good for qutie a long time now. ive got lots of great friends (it really shows you who your mates are when you're in need of help, doesnt it) and although im in no way after a relationship for a long time, im doing lots of things i have been wanting to do. started exercising and getting fit, play a few sports again now, am almost watching what i eat and drink :rotfl: , grown a beard and for the last few months me and a few cars full of mates always go for weekends away, or day trips. its really good, and im genuinly happy. ive come out of all this pretty much on top. however i agree that my outlook on life may be jaded somewhat (i get a bit more emotional than i used to/i have a fair bit of anger in me etc), but im not sure how this would affect me. i am honestly happy, but no more or less than normal.

:rolleyes:

16. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +409
    I kind of did the opposite. When I got divorced, I filled my time with things, including a photography course, and that's what got me into it.

Sorry that's not very helpful!

Cheers,
    Liam

17. Jamiewalshe

Jamiewalshe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    i also feel i must add, i suddenly stopped with the photography when i was at near enough the peak of happiness in my last relationship, which continued for 4 or so months problem free.

18. Jamiewalshe

Jamiewalshe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29

well, i guess it was kind of similar. i spent a while drinking myself stupid and not going to work much, then i started trying to fill my life with things to do (although i didnt try to take up photography again). slipped up with that and drifted into the first stage again, then finally sorted myself out properly.

if that makes any sense..

thank you for the good advice guys

19. Puli

Puli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Bit more practical and I think some one has said this before, but, why not sell the D2x, buy a D80 and keep the lenses. Then spend the rest on yourself.

That way you still have all you lens etc, with a reasonable camera if you still get the urge.

Just a thought:)

What ever you do, hope it works out;)

Paul

20. Steve N

Steve N
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,377
    Looking at this from a purely objective point of view I think, taking all things into consideration, that you should sell it.
    Points I would consider are:
    Every time Nikon (or Canon etc) bring out a new model, it has improved specification and is usually cheaper in real terms than previous similar models.
    Also, Nikons last high range model was over a year ago now. I suspect that within the next 12 months they will announce at least one or more high range models.
    This will further devalue your D2x.
    The longer you leave it the less you are likely to get for it.

If I were in your position I would sell the camera now, but hang on to any special lenses you have. They tend to keep their value anyway.
    If in time you, want to go back to photography, I think there is every chance that you will be able to purchase a top Nikon or another used D2x for less than you will get from selling your D2x now. Depending on how much time has passed of course.
    If you decide not to go back to photography you should still get a decent price for any good lenses.

21. craigizmo2k2

craigizmo2k2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    In your position I would sell it all, get a 350D (or a D50 if you're a Nikonian) so you can still enjoy taking photographs when the chance arrises - that way you will still have spare cash to have fun with.

:)

22. Peakoverload

Peakoverload

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    With the exception of the divorce part (I'm fortunately still very happily married) you sound a lot like me.

Like you photography has been a part of my life for years
    Like you I have spent a fortune on camera gear
    Like you I had/have websites
    Like you friends and family no me more for my hobby than anything else
    Like you I have barely used my cameras for over a year and havent used them as much as I want for at least 2 years.
    Like you there was a part of me that did consider giving it all up.
    Like you (possibly) I get a bit depressed and frustrated by the fact that I dont take many photos anymore.

However in my case the desire to take photos is still very strong which is the main reason why I find the lack of my photo taking so depressing and everyday I read/talk/think about photography and the kinds of photos I want to take.

I used to be massively into fishing and spent thousands doing that but now havent been for over 6 years. I still have all the gear because I can't bare to part with it mainly because I still have the hope that one day I will have the time/inclination to go again and don't want to have to buy it all again.

Following on from what others have said I think you need to give yourself some time, perhaps a few months, to let things calm down in your life and get a bit of focus back. During this time don't think about photography just concentrate on your life. Once things have got back on track you may well find that the desire to take photos has come back as when you feel depressed it's very hard to get enthusiastic about anything. If the desire still isnt there or you develop other interests maybe then and only then you can then think about selling your gear but I wouldnt be suprised if in the years to come you will want to return to photography.

23. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    That puzzles me - if you have the desire and the equipment, why don't you take them?

:confused:

24. Peakoverload

Peakoverload

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    I simply don't have the time :( . I spend 5hrs a day commuting to and from work so I don't get home until 8pm by which time I'm too tired to get the camera out and during most of the year it's too dark to take them anyway. This basically leaves the weekends but being happily married, and wanting to stay that way, it's also the only time that I get to spend quality time with my wife not to mention that there is all the general housy stuff that has to be done, shopping, washing, ironing etc. We do quite a bit of walking in the countryside and I always take the camera with me but we never seem to be lucky with the weather/light/location and more often than not the camera never comes out of the bag. Personally I would love to take photos every weekend if not more often but quite often 3 months or more go by without being able to take any.

25. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    5 hrs a day - I don't envy you that.

The rest of it sounds like my life though :D

26. h4rri

h4rri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Glad you're getting sorted matey. If I were you I'd grab a cheap P&S to take with you on the 'boys outings' and capture a few of the moments. Publish them to the web for all your mates to enjoy and see if that rekindles the love for photography. It's like anything, baby steps first mate and see what happens.

I think most of us have been there too and the old addage of 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger' is obviously said by those who haven't!

Have some fun, carry a camera and just let it happen when it does, if it doesn't then mid-summer would be an ideal time to sell up when interest has peaked.

I bought my 5D in winter and haven't used it in anger yet :( A bit concerning when you look at the cost but I'm holding out for summer too :)

All the best mate and be happy in whatever you do :)

27. Jamiewalshe

Jamiewalshe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    cheers guys, im leaning more towards keeping it for the time being and seeing how it goes. you're right, soon enough the weather will improve and maybe i can get out there and start again. i would never want anything other than this camera body, as to be perfectly honest it does exactly what i want from a camera. everything else has always been too low res/not quick enough etc, but ive never been able to fault the d2x. so if i do end up selling, then hopefully if id like to get back into it the costs wont be too high.

thanks for all the advice

:smashin: