1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a Barclays Branch Phone Number...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by kelvin, May 25, 2005.

1. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Can anyone help?

I need (if possible), the actual number for Barclays Castlepoint (Bournemouth) - the number Barclays supply on their website puts you through to their national call centre who know absolutely nothing about the issue I need to speak with them about (primarily as a result of the total incompetence of the branch in question).

For those wondering what this is about (and also for anyone thinking of banking with Barclays), here's a brief summary of events:-

A month ago today, I paid a cheque into my account for £600. I waited for the clearing period, then used the money to pay off a credit card (the cheque was payment for some items purchased for an organisation). Several days later, I received a letter from Barclays stating that during the clearing process the cheque had been lost - no real problem as they stated that provided the money had been debited from the payee's account (something they would confirm manually), it wouldn't affect the payment. To reassure myself, I checked with the payee who confirmed that the cheque had been debited as expected prior to it clearing in my account. No problem you may think...

However, 3 days later I received a further letter from the bank enclosing the cheque stating that payment had been refused and that as a result, the money had been debited from my account :eek: The money was not re-credited to the payee. So began the fun.

Barclays are stating that the cheque wasn't honoured and that NatWest (payee's bank) are at fault for not re-crediting the money (clearly missing the point in that if the cheque had bounced, the money would never have been drawn in the first place :suicide: ). NatWest claim that the cheque was paid and that Barclays have messed up - something i'm inclined to believe given that there was absolutely no reason for the cheque to bounce in the first place (there was more than enough in the way of cleared funds to cover the transaction).

I've spent hours in the bank over the last 2 weeks trying to get an answer as to where the money is, yet nobody seems to have a clue. I was promised it would be dealt with by today when I went in on Monday but once again, nothing has happened. Head Office say it doesn't even show on their system!

Oh, and to rub salt into the wound... the telephone number I was given for my branch is a fax machine :mad:

(Apologies for the rant :blush: )

K.

2. sjgill

sjgill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Bit of bad news I'm afraid. You just can't get through to the branches! they no longer accept external phone calls as far as I understand. Everything is handled through the call centre. This started happening about 2 years ago. Only way to talk to a branch is to go in and queue to see a personal banker.

3. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +813
    Kelvin,

can you supply a sortcode for the branch. I have access to the ISCD and might be able to pull the telephone number from this. However I'm not back in my office till tomorrow.

Regards
    Keith Hurst

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Hence why NatWest made a big thing about the fact you can speak to your actual branch by phone.

The call centre should be able to put you through to your branch if you ask them (or just start going into a massive issue/complaint.)

5. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +813
    Kelvin,

I have checked out the ISCD, and unfortunately the only number given is 08457 555555, which is obviously through to the call center.

If you do call this number though they should be able to put you through to the specific bank in question. If they don't then ask to speak to a supervisor.

Not ideal but it might be your best bet.

Regards
    Keith Hurst

6. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    Exactly the same policy at Abbey :mad:

7. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks for the replies guys, and sorry for the delay in responding...

The matter still hasn't been resolved - I managed to obtain a number for the branch and now have the name of someone who is dealing with it for me. I went into the branch yesterday afternoon to speak with them and am fairly confident that they're now taking the matter seriously ;)

I've given them a deadline of 4pm today to give me an explanation as to what's happening. Failing that i'll make a written complaint and may also notify the financial services ombudsman - hopefully that will prompt them into sorting it :)

Thanks very much :)

Kelvin.

8. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I can't understand why anyone uses Barclays. They rip their customers BIG time.
    My wife has had countless trouble with them. Many building societies offer
    their customers much better value for money with much better interest rates.

BAN THE BANKS.

That's what I say. They are fascists.

So there! :lesson: :boring:

9. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,524
    Yep, just keep your money under the mattress!!

10. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    My main account is actually with First Direct who are fantastic - whilst i'm still classed as a student however the interest free overdraft at Barclays is useful ;)

I also have a savings account with Halifax and fully agree with you on the Building Societies front :)

K.

11. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Unless the rules for the FOS rules have changed in the last 12 months they will not handle any complaint until you have received a formal final response letter. If you formally register your complaint in writting and they have not satisfactorily responded within x (12? 16?) weeks then the FOS will consider taking the case on.

12. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks - I wasn't aware of the time periods concerned :)

Barclays have an initial written complaint from me which was lodged 2 weeks ago, i'll have a read up on the ombudsman website to see if I can (potentially) make a claim after the relevant period has expired. To be honest, I just want something to give Barclays a bit of a kick up the rear...

K.