Need a 5.1 set up, budget £3000.

Memino

Established Member
Hey, I've been in the market for a 5.1 set up for a while now. I've been recommended 2 set ups. My main uses are games and movies. I would like it to be good with music too, but that's not a priority.

1) Monitor Audio Silver RX6 AV12 5.1 set (Roughly £2350)
I found this set great for music, very balanced. But it just didn't have the power for movies and games.

2) B&W 683 fronts, B&W HTM61 Centre, B&W ASW610 subwoofer and B&W 685 backs. (Roughly £2250)
This set is very good for movies and games, and the sub packs a punch but there was something not quite right with the centre. Maybe the demo was set up wrong, but dialogue wasn't the clearest.

I don't spend this kind of money a lot, so I was wondering if you guys could please give me your opinion on sets within my budget. Also I have no idea which amp I should go for. I demoed these sets with the pioneer VSX-LX53 but I'm open to all suggestions because I don't really know much about amps.

Last edited:

Etienne A

Established Member
There are many ways to spend that money, and I'm sure others will offer their opinion.

Mine (opinion!): get the MA's but don't get the sub, and get the best sub you can afford from BK or SVS.

Member 116841

Distinguished Member
1) Monitor Audio Silver RX6 AV12 5.1 set (Roughly £2350)
I found this set great for music, very balanced. But it just didn't have the power for movies and games.
With the RX6 package, I think you'll need a better receiver to take advantage of what they're capable of. I would highly recommend you look at the LX73 or LX83 receivers - these use digital ICE amplification which is much more energetic for movies, games or music.

Pioneer SCLX73 & SCLX83

Last edited:

Member 518284

Distinguished Member
for your budget of £3000 you have to have a demo of MK`s

these are designed for performance and favour movie/gaming playback first and foremost but are no second choice for music either.

THX 950`s across the fronts and M4T tripoles, coupled to a SB1250 THX sub will in my opinion be unbeatable for your requirements.

The LCR 950 THX use the tweeter out of the pro series MK 2510p monitors and are just superb, giving detail and precise positioning, especially with movie playback.

These must be added to your list or you`ll end up regretting not having a listen to probably the best speakers within your budget.

Consider an Onkyo AV reciever, something like the 1008 or a Yamaha 2067 and you won`t go wrong.

cheers

Allan @ Ideal AV

Member 116841

Distinguished Member
But that would then mean a £4k budget....

Memino - to use any of the speaker packages that you're interested in effectively (and the others mentioned), you'll need to be looking a little higher as far as amplification is concerned. This will take you outside your £3k budget, but if you track down some B stock speakers, this will keep you within budget.

Member 518284

Distinguished Member
if the budget for a 5.1 setup is for speakers only as it would suggest then the MK`s are in budget.

If however the OP wants to included amplification within the 3k then i`m afraid they aren`t.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom