• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Need a 1.4 HDMI amp

JGreg

I've currently got a Denon 3808, but I need a 3D capable amp. I want at least as good sound quality as I currently have, so far I'm looking at the Onkyo 608 / 808 and the Pioneer LX83.

The price is only important to me in so much as I don't want an amp thats too good for my speakers - spending I'm fine with, but throwing money out the window doesn't agree with me.

Can anyone recommend one of those 3 for me or something else?

Also, I'm in London - is there a decent retailer I could go to this weekend and try before I buy. If there are retailers browsing these forums, I'd be purchasing on the day as long as I find something I like.

Cheers!

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The Onkyo 608 is quite a few levels below your current reciever so would imho not be a good option to go for as a replacement. What speakers do you currently have? Both Onkyo and Pioneer have a very different sound presentation to the Denon you currently own, i.e. they are both bright sounding while Denon is warm sounding. Hence they may not be a good tonal match to your speakers or your personal sound preference. You may be better to go for another Denon or maybe a Yamaha or Marantz reciever which are all warm sounding. Hence you should look at the Denon 3811 or Yamaha 2067 .

JGreg

Thanks for the reply - totally forgot to put my speakers in the first post! I have the B&W MT30s.

I'm not sure what the difference is between warm and bright sounding, but tbh - I've not been blown away by my Denon. It's decent enough, but doesn't give me the wow factor.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
B&W speakers are bright sounding so normally get recommended for recievers like Yamaha and Denon. Sound preference is very personal hence you may prefer the sound of the Pioneer or Onkyo with your current speakers but then again you may not. As you suggest demoing is the way forward but I would include the Denon or Yamaha in your list to give you a comparison for the Pioneer and Onkyo.
Bright sounding equipment will push the higher frequencies. This can often be discribed as detailed and be quite exciting. However if you go too bright it can sound strained and be fatiguing to listen too. A bright system tends to favour movies to music. Warm sounding equipment pushes the lower frequencies so can be mellow and relaxing to listen too. Again if you go too warm it can loss detail and excitement. In general a warmer system will be better with music but may miss some of the wow factor with movies. In general I prefer a warmer sound but you may be different.

JGreg

B&W speakers are bright sounding so normally get recommended for recievers like Yamaha and Denon.

I thought you said above Yamaha and Denon are warm and the Onkyo / Pioneer are bright?

I'm not listening to much music - mainly used for movies / video games.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
It is not normally recommended to pair warm with warm (amp and speakers) or bright with bright. Hence why I would recommend the warmer sounding Yamaha/Denon recievers with the bright sounding B&W speakers. Since you are mainly movies a slightly bright system may be an advantage. Just make sure you demo first.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom