Need 2 replace/upgrade Processor/Crossover

K

kwdamp

Hello all,

I have been having problems with the commercial audio system in my lounge. I think the Rain CP64 processor and/or the crossover are the problem or are at least contributing to it. I don't really need the power features of that processor and I am looking to cut them it/them out and replace them with something affordable that will still get the job done. Below is a list of what i have now. I would appreciate some advice on good (reasonably priced) commercial grade products that will fill my needs. :lease:

-Signal is coming from PC with PCDJ installed.
-Using a USB output to an Edirol USB interface.
-From that it goes via rca directly to a MaxCom Dual Compressor.
-The signal is then run about 50 ft. via XLR cable to a Rane CP64 Processor
-From there, the signal is split to run to 2 DOD 835 Crossovers (one downstairs, one upstairs)
-Downstairs I have 3 QSC amplifiers (6 full range speakers and 3 subs)
-Upstairs I have 2 QSC amplifiers (4 full range speakers and 1 sub)

I'm getting some signal or ground interference on the system that sounds like a crackling sound. It comes and goes but when it is present it is unbearable. I have tried a number of things to get rid of this problem (using a well grounded isolated circuit, upgrading the cables, cleaning the amps, etc.) I've probably spend about 100 hours looking at it.

I now think the problem is coming from (or at least amplified by) the Rane processor. I'd like to upgrade to a newer product that better fits my needs (i don't need the paging feature, and really don't need two different zones) and does the job. But I'm not sure what.

Would a power mixer do the job? Or some other type of preamplifier? Is there something out there that efficiently does the job of both the pre-amp and crossover?

I've spent a lot of time on this and am very familiar with my specific sytem, but not all that familiar with what audio products are out there and exactly what each one does.

I know it's a long question, but i think it's actually a relatively simple one, and I could really use a push in the right direction.

Thanks so much for everyones time and expertise,
Keith

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom