1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nec Xg852

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tripodspore, Nov 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tripodspore

tripodspore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Has anyone any experience or link to a review of this discontinued NEC PJ? I have been offered one at US$400 that has never been used and is still in its original box, etc. Also, with zero use of the guns, do I need to be concerned about their longevity?

Thanks,

Simon

2. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    BUY IT NOW!!!!!

There is a lot more information here;
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=16

NEC XG's are few and far between in the UK but do a search on the above link (use "NEC" and you'll get the XG and PG results) and you will find all the information you need. $400 is an absolute bargain, a good used unit is 10 times that price, you'd be CRAZY not to buy it. Even if it needs some new parts you are still saving a fortune.

Its easily one of the best 8" projectors you can buy, especially as it looks to be the Liquid Coupled (LC) version which is pretty much the best of the best, and even gives most 9" pj's a run for their money - don't miss the oppurtunity to pick up what is in effect a Runco (and we all know how good a reputation they have !).

Paul

3. tripodspore

tripodspore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, Paul - I'll pick it up on Monday. BTW, the store here (which buys liquidated stock, etc) have 5 of these still in boxes each w/ceiling mount h/w!

Not sure what it would cost to ship from S'pore to UK, but if you (or anyone else) wants a bargain, let me kow and I'll see what I can do!

Simon

4. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Hi Simon,
    A bargain to be sure! I've already got an XG but at that price its certainly worth the hassle of importing if anyone else is thinking of getting one! Cost for shipping would be around £200-300 plus import duty and VAT at this end, say £800 all in - an absolute steal!! Good find Simon, grab yours quick (and maybe a couple more just to sell on!) before someone else grabs the lot!
    Regards,
    Paul

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That does look guite like a bargain! Brand new for that moey is crazy! Wish i lived there!

ad

6. gierig2

gierig2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Simon,

dit you get my email?

Robert

7. snelly

snelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    SImon,

hi I would be interested in this provisionally - subject to findiong out the costs etc and effort involved.

Keep us posted

Thx
    Tim

8. quadmad

quadmad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Simon

I an very very interested in one of those NEC's, any still left & do you know the cost of shipping.

You can email me direct at cawthornep@btopenworld.com

Regards
    Paul

9. tripodspore

tripodspore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I feel fairly well screwed by the owner of these units as it NOW appears that the correct price is Sing$2,000/unit (approx. US$1200)!! This type of "bait and switch" is fairly typical here!!! Apparently the owner's assistant "got it wrong" the first time.

Anyway, have been down there again today to try and "evaluate" the units. Since it is a rather cramped and crowded warehouse space, I could only examine one or two, but I am assured they are typical of all. Here's what I can tell you:

All units (he has approx. 6-7 units avail.) have been used. Typical "usage hours" seem to be around 2000
    Cosmetically they look in excellent condition All tubes looked fine!
    I was able to hook up my portable DVD and see a picture.
    All s/w menus appear to work.
    There are 2 spare board slots (covers still screwed on) on the rear panel near the Power switch.

Let me know if you want me to proceed. I will certainly understand if these units no longer seems such a bargain!!

10. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I don't like the sound of this.

11. tripodspore

tripodspore
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just to let you all now, I have bought and installed one of these units - EXCELLENT CONDITION + RESULTS!

I am also sending one unit to Robert W in Austria who should be receiving it in the next week or so.

The shop has only 4 more units available at Sing$2000 EACH (Incl. ceiling bracket - deluxe model, both remotes, manuals, etc).

Again, if anyone wants me to pick one up for them, please let me know on 101474.455@compuserve.com. Note, I am only doing this as I love HT and when I see a bargain like this, I feel as though I should share!!

Simon

12. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    and I didn't think that there were any caring people left in the world.

13. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What, out of interest was the total cost for robert? If Robert happens to be reading..... what was the condition?

ad

14. gierig2

gierig2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The pj comes to 2000Sing$ thats 1170€.
    The total costs including pj,shipping,insurance and customs are about 2100€.
    Simon was very helpful,tested the unit in the shop,taked the pj to his home and also was very helpful with the shipment papers.
    So iam very glad for that-best service-and no payment for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Next week come the pj so i will post the whole story.

15. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Sniff, sniff, snif,f hmmmmmmmmmmmm :rolleyes:

16. gierig2

gierig2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The pj arrived yesterday :))))

The pj was in the original box with 2 RC, ceiling mounts cables and the manual.
    The red tube looks new-the blue and green have a mask.
    As its my first pj i dont know how "bad" that is.Regarding to the limited time-christmas -i dit only a quick test-
    switched the pj on all tubes are working--no smoke ;-)
    I will try to look in more details till end of that year.
    Meanwhile thanks simon-happy christmas

17. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    That sounds ok - the Liquid Coupled units have masks on the tubes, sounds as if whoever replaced the tube didn't bother with the mask. I don't think this is in any way a problem - you can make your own mask if need be but personally I'd not bother unless the tube doesn't quite perform the way it should (picture quality-wise) but I doubt anyone other than a real expert would notice.

You got a VERY good deal, these units sell for around $6000 in the States, probably the same here in the UK but in £ - if you can find one which is very unlikely!

Its a superb projector - certainly up there in the top three 8" and will certainly give a 9" a run for its money. It is however very hard to set it up properly but you'll get there if you read up on it and are willing to learn (just have patience) - if it becomes too difficult have someone do it for you.

Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.