1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEC XG 110LC-a quick opinion..

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Vince M, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got to share my thoughts on one of these I had very briefly this week.(pics on my site;-www.projection-dreams.com (p.s.Im still working on the site so its a bit sparse at the moment!)

o.k. this only had 26hrs on three new tubes(not rebuilds) so it had everything going for it.

But wow! First time for a while I`d had an XG LC(recently had a non LC).

Ill clarify the wow..

Very..very crisp picture-In fact,at first it reminded me very much of the G90 I had the week previous..same bold presentation,fantastic detail,blacks were awesome.
    But of course the icing on the cake was the colours..best..without a doubt ..best colours I have seen on ANY 8" crt to date.

The mix of colour filtered lens`s with the LC was a thing of beauty..In fact it really threw me out..one moment I thought filmic,the next ..razor sharp..I was seeing levels of detail in the LOTR (Fellowship) that I hadnt seen before..sweat Bilbos brow..pits in Arwens makeup ..the lot..

In fact the guy I was demoing it too had a jaw that was touching the floor-and hes got an 808!

At one point he said;-" I hoped it would be good but never thought it would be this good!"

This guy had his pal with him-and the three of us just sat there and watched the film..I forgot about the demo..they forgot about the demo..we were all enthralled!

..In fact,the silence was only broken by one of the guys thats said.."Can i take it now"..I really ..really wanted to say no... :rotfl:

But it was a total picture if you know what I mean? It did everything well..I Couldnt find a fault in ANY scene as hard as I looked..Bilbos jacket was TRUE red..but the skin tones were completely accurate,Frodos face was a tad pale in some scenes but he had rosey cheeks..It was -dare I say it-the only time to date I have seen dvd approximate D-Theatre..thats how it looked..
    The firework party..all the detail was there..red apples in the basket..subtle shades of shadows in the blacks..and when they went into Bilbos cottage at one point you see a shot of through the window..and all the flowers were beautifully coloured and textured.

The pictures sense of 3dimensiality was extraordinary.

The more I looked at it I kept thinking G90..but I started thinking..I like it better????????

I know its crazy but..when one remembers that the XG 135 beat the G90 for the image quality award in 1999-and that the XG LC flagships were NECS answer to the 9" crt`s of the day..maybe not so crazy.

But today im gutted,I was hoping to have it an extra couple of days and watch a couple of movies on it..
    But a big..BIG thumbs up for this-the bonus being of course that its such a compact unit.

2. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    Sounds lovely - where do you get them........?
    How would it compare with a 9500LC?
    best regards
    Nick

3. crteaman

crteaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    He he he, Nick thats a loaded question if ever I saw one.
    I could give you all the answers you need in definitive detail but............lets let Vince go first,be rude not too.

james

4. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    James, I know everyone likes 95LCs, but somehow I think you will never hear the end of this at your little get together.
    Nick

5. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WELL..I may be the wrong person to ask as my current fave is a Marquee 9501LC! :)
    The Marquee though is brighter,probably the best blacks in the business and with a red filter its colours are superb.Detail of course is better still.

But unfair comparison to the NEC really-which by the fact that it can even mix it with the big boys -and it can-is a testament to what an excellent crt it is.

What I would like to do -which would be a fair battle-is to get hold of a Zenith Pro 1200X-which is of course an 808 with liquid coupled tubes-and have a shootout-I have a feeling the Zenith would take the title..but it would be so..so..close.

James,did the Zenith have colour filtered lens`s like the DTV 992 Ultra?

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Well I can tell you that the XG110LC was the unit that Runco used for the 991ultra. When NEC stopped making it Runco went to the Cine8 chassis for their 992ultra and the image quality went back a BIG step, imho.

One of the best images I've ever seen was stacked 991ultra's....at the same show there were stacked 1209's (in Runco colours) being fed from an Interpolator.....and it was nothing like as enjoyable.....7yrs ago this was.

I like XGLC's....

G

7. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon,
    I wonder..I wonder,,did Runco do any tinkering with the 991 greyscale before shipping-because it looked too accurate for an out of the box jobbie?

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    It's impossible for the greyscale to be accurate out of the box on any front projection device. The room and screen are part of the display system. You can get the light coming out of the projector to be accurate as long as the input signals match that of the test pattern device you used for set up.

I am sure that Runco did a little work on one of the boards in the unit. Sam Runco commented on which one over at AVS....You can see it in the XGs as a small board with some parts missing....they are populated in the Runco version. With CRT PJ you find that if you change the contrast and brightness controls it can have a pretty serious affect on gryescale...especially if you are driving the thing at the extreme's of it's light output.

Gordon

9. crteaman

crteaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    he he you guy's, there's blood trickling down my face cos' I'm biting my tongue so hard, :rolleyes:
    But.......... na I'm not going there.
    Btw Gordon, 992's are based on 808 not cine 8, which are both almost the same, they do add the colour filtered lenses,illuminated logo and the convergence contains red on blue (well worth having), in fact they actually remove one board!
    Late model 808'/cine 8, had a number of additions over their predecessor's namely the 1209 convergence drive board etc.
    Vince the Zenith 1200 pro x is indeed a liquid coupled 808, ie almost an 808 onyx, less limo etc,they did not use colour filtered lenses because no liquid coupled units utilised them because of using the filtered 'c' element route.
    Nick I can almost feel your keeness to make it to this little gathering, just hope you can indeed make it. ;)

james

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    James: I take it the 9" Runco's that looked like 1209'S weren't....were they 1609? Yes I should have said 808....but with the filtering etc I think they must be close to cine8 really.

Frankly though the answer as to which one of all these things gives the best image is always down to how well set up it is.......

Gordon

11. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, the 992`s are stonking as well! :clap:
    I dont really want to get into comparisons,because at this level they are all damn good! Some are better than others at certain facets-I think we all know the NECS colours are tops-as there wouldnt be this current surge to put NEC lenses on non colour filtered Barcos.
    But the Barco is brighter..black presentation ? thats a toughie,I`d have to have both side by side to score a winner.

..and of course it all comes down to setup as mentioned.

But the Barcos are well known in this country the NECS not so.
    I guess my real point is to crt buffs-dont discount `em!
    I`d still love to get hold of a Zenith though. :)

Gordon:-I appreciate for a totally accurate greyscale many factors come into play-but what I meant was I wonder if Runco tweaked the RGB settings to get closer to true 6500k.

12. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tell you what would be excellent as a future event,a shootout between some of the heavy hitters!!! :clap:

Imagine:- a 991 v`s a 992.

Marquee 8500LC v`s a G70.

G90 v`s a Marquee 9501LC.

G70 v`s a 991..(I think this would be one hell of a tussle!!)

A bit of silliness I know..but great fun eh!! :thumbsup: