NEC XG-110 - Tubes toasted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boris Blank

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Well, just managed to pick me up an NEC XG-110 at a fair price given that the tubes look toasted (see piccie below).

Whats the cost of new tubes for this thing? Given how good the XG range is, they must be worthwhile replacing. Perhaps in this case its a job for the professionals rather than DIY?

Edit - I'm awaiting the remote to check the running hours but other than the tubes the pj is spotless.
Regards,
Paul

Attachments

• tubes1.jpg
    tubes1.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 339
I'll need to check but I think those tubes can be rebuilt.

I know your image is squashed but this is a clasic example of a so called installation company putting the projector in the wrong place.
If you look at the image wear it does not even come close to filling the phosphor. The resulting image resoloution and brightness would have suffered. I would imagine they have over driven the projector to make up for it and it has now riuned a set of tubes.

Built by robots, installed by monkees! What a waste of good kit.
Paul

Edit - piccie now at correct ratio

Best price for new tubes that I've found so far is £1170 for all 3 which is quite a good price I think - still if anyone knows where I get them cheaper and save me a few more bob I'd be interested!
Ta
Paul

I think that's a great price for three new XG tubes!

It's a belter once you get it up and running. They were the chassis for the Runco 991 and the LC version for the 991 ultra. Brilliant projectors. Get the tubes fitted and you will be laughing.

P.S . Dont suppose you could find me one too could you

Gordon

I must admit, I thought the cost would be higher for the tubes so I'll maybe go ahead and order them up - I doubt re-builds would be much (if any) cheaper so I'll go with the new tubes.

Hehe, I wish I could find more NEC's! This is only only one I've ever seen or heard of locally - cost me just under a grand, I saw it working in the companys conference room/hall but couldn't inspect it before purchase. I either had to take it as was or they were going to sell it elsewhere down south (I think)..... I took the chance in the hope that it would be a bit of a steal. If the tubes were in good shape, it would have been a genuine bargain of the century! As it is, I'll still be well in pocket after re-tubing it but I think it moves from a bargain status down to a good deal (maybe even a pretty good deal?).

Anyway, I'll keep me eyes peeled but I suspect CRTs (or at any rate good CRTs) are pretty rare up in this neck of the woods these days.... hen's teeth as they say.

As I'll like be attempting to re-tube it myself, you may wish to brush up on the service manual for NEC XG's in anticipation of an emergency phone call! :eek:
Paul

Checked the hours - 194hrs. From the looks of things, its been displaying an image of some sort (corporate logo probably) as its nicely burnt into the tubes.

Ah well, new tubes ordered so hopefully I'll be up and running in early December when they arrive.
Paul

Thanks Mudphish4u,
I got my new tubes locally, I had thought of getting re-builds but the price would have been more expensive once you take into account shipping, duty, VAT etc.

Fitting the new tubes today - fingers crosssed!
Paul

Well, just finished replacing the burnt tubes with new ones! Had a bit of hassle with the HT leads (rubber boots just wouldn't come off initially) but other than that it was a lot easier than I expected, quite a lot easier in fact. I've still to do the full setup and convergence though and that may be a bit more involving but I'm fair chuffed with myself at the moment.

On a scale of 1-10, I'd put the tube replacement at about a 5 (not much worse that building a PC I'd say). The convergence I'd put at an 8 based on my attempts to date - quite tricky and you need to be patient.

Anyway, XG with new tubes for under £2k, not bad at all although not quite as good as tripodspore's $400 though! Now that IS a deal!
Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom