1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEC XG-110 - first go at setup.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Boris Blank, Nov 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Had a bash at setting up the XG today, the new tubes won't be here for a few weeks so I have time to spare learning the in's and out's of this projector.

First up convergence - jeez, what a nightmare! The Barco at worst, would take me about an hour or so to do a pretty good convergence from scratch. This thing, takes about an hour just to square up one colour, never mind converge all three!!

The XG has a myriad of convergence options - this is one of its strengths in that it is renowned for its superb convergence, the problem is its take bloody ages to do it. Not for the faint-hearted. After about 5 hours at it, I have a fairly decent picture but still far from ideal and no-where close to perfection but its getting easier and quicker as I learn what (and what not!) to do.

Focus - this thing is RAZOR sharp, if I hadn't seen it myself I wouldn't have belived it! PC Text is really tight, so much so that my long planned for Mike Parker Modded Radeon card looks to be totally un-necessary. I can now read the smallest text at 1440x960 from my partners laptop (being used to try out RGB in place of my still hard drive-less HTPC!) from the other side of the room - absolutely amazing, crystal f***ing clear. Browsing a few DVD's, I'm pretty sure I am seeing small details much more clearly than before, I'll do a side by side comparison between the Barco and the XG at some point and really analyse the difference.

The colours look good despite the burn-in but obviously I can't really comment until the new tubes are in but they do look different where I looked at them beyond the area of burn-in. I'd say the whole picture had a lot more snap to it, very 3D. I watched a bit of Starship Troopers and found myself totally sucked in to the film for a good hour or so (remember, the display isn't even properly converged, calibrated nor even correctly shaped!)

Build-wise, the Barco has an industrial built to last quality about it whilst the XG seems more like a consumer product made with quality materials but with a less solid feel to it (I get the impression I could drop the Barco and it would still work whereas dropping the XG........, hmmm better not).

Nonetheless, the XG is a far more sophisticated product than my Barco, streets ahead of it, no question. The menu choices are bewildering to say the least, there is more in there than you can shake a stick at, and it all looks to be pretty useful (brightness uniformity, white balance, color uniformity, bliss, pure bliss). The down side is that its going to take a lot of work to get the best out of it.

So far I'm delighted, the projector is way better than I hoped it would be. Its rare to come across these babies in the UK, I've only ever came across one before and that was on Ebay.co.uk and it was snapped up almost immediately at what at the time appeared to be a very high price - I now understand why, this thing is pure dynamite! I feel like I've won the lottery!!

Regards,
    Paul

2. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Paul,

Nice to hear you've taken a break from all that PC tweaking to.......all that projector tweaking!!! Perfection comes at the cost of many hours work of course. I'm still plodding away with my 808/ cinematrix combo. Glad I don't live within demo distance to you, or they would probably be in the classifieds by now.

Where did you pick up your NEC from??

Rob.

3. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Hi Rob,
    How's things? I don't think its worth swapping out the Cinematrix or the 808 just yet! I'm moving from an Electrostatic Focus pj to an Electromagneticlly Focused pj so the difference in picture quality is dramatic and very noticable. Although the NEC is reputedly very good, I doubt you would see such a huge leap from the 808 to the XG although by all accounts the NEC is in amongst the top range of 8" pj's (at least non liquid coupled ones). Whether its worth upgrading to is another matter, I suspect it is if you have the spare dosh.

This one came out of a local oil company that were re-locating to new offices and were about to sell off all the old fixtures and fittings. I heard about the move and the projector, made a phone call to the company's office manager fella and managed to snaffle the projector before it got sent off to some auction house. Even got half the ceiling mount with it, couldn't get the bolts out of the other half which was firmly embedded in the concrete ceiling.

However, although I got it quite cheap (£900 after some half-hearted haggling), the tubes are shot so it will cost another £1200 to re-tube it. Still a excellent deal but not quite as good as I'd originally thought/hoped.

HTPC ground to a shuddering 2 weeks ago after the hard drive failed, still waiting for the warranty replacement to arrive which leaves plenty time to (you've guessed it!) fiddle with the XG. I'll be practicing replacing the tubes in the next week or so.

Anyway, here's one piccie I thought I'd never ever be able to post never mind actually see - stacked pj's in my very own room:cool:

All the best Rob, if nothing else, at least you are able to watch some movies over the next few weeks - I'll be luck if I'm up and running by Christmas :(
    Paul

Edit, bit dark but the Barco is farther away on the ceiling, XG is precariously(I) perched in front.

Attached Files:

4. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Paul,

Yeah, I don't miss all the PC hassle. Sure there are some good products around at the moment. Tempting, but I know how frustrated I got last time. I'll stick with the Cinematrix Denon for the moment. Its easy and looks great untill I can afford a pretty good scaler. I nearly bought a Vigatec scaler after seeing at the event, but it was just out of my price range at the time. However, what I have spent in the meantime (Quadscan,all the PC bits & PSM-1 Denon) I could have bought one anyway!

Hope you're up and running soon. Hopefully, You'll be able to sit down over the festive period and reap the benefits of all your hard work. Fingers crossed!!

All the best

Rob.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.