1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEC VT540 Bulb life question

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by philharmonic, Nov 15, 2004.

1. philharmonic

philharmonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

This is my first post, so please forgive my newbie status.

I have a question about my NEC VT540 projector.

I bought it used almost 2 years ago and have used it about once a week ever since to watch a movie. The bulb lifetimer says its at 700 hours, but the bulb has a theoretical rating of about 2000. I know that they don't always last that long, but the problem I'm having may or may not reflect this.

About a month ago, the projector started to shut down after being on for about 10 minutes. I had assumed that the bulb was going out until (for the first time ever!) I downloaded the pdf manual off of NEC's website and found out that the error it was giving me indicated that it is overheating. What happens right before it shuts down is the brightness of the lamp will switch between dim and the brightness level I have it set to sporadically. It can sometimes just work this way and sometimes shuts down after 10 - 20 minutes. I have vacuumed the projector and even took it apart yesterday to see if there is a significant amount of dust build-up, but there wasn't. It certainly had a small amount of dust, but nothing I would consider to be enough to cause overheating.

I think that the replace lamp warning only comes on when the timer reaches or is at 2000 hours, but in the setup screen, this timer is resettable. Having bought this unit used, I can't be 100% certain that the life reading is accurate.

So, my question is: Are the symptoms I am experiencing indicative of a bulb on its way out or is there another problem?

The only fan inside this unit seems to be working just fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Have you cleaned the filter?

3. philharmonic

philharmonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, there are two filters on two air intakes and i've cleaned both of them.

The manual says to just vacuum them, which is what i've done.

4. asrosp

asrosp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Time to blow out your filters. Sounds like a heat issue. Pull your bulb and filters, with good compressed air blow all the grates and holes you can find. Mine was doing the exact same thing and I blew out massive dust. Be very careful, and stay away from where the mirrors and color wheel in the front are or say bye bye to the projector. Hope it helps.