1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nec VR5 for 1000 ??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by lukassk, Jun 19, 2005.

1. lukassk

lukassk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi there !!

I have a friend who works for NEC UK and that friend can obtain plasma screen directly from them at discounted price, around 1 grand. my question- is it worth that money ? How this screen compare with other, anyone had any experience with this one ?
    Lucas

2. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    do a search.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    try the plasma FAQ for the Shot out!!!
    PS Your friend may not be able to offer this for much longer as NEC PDP (plasma department) was sold to Pioneer September 2004

4. iranu

iranu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bloody hell YES. My father was looking for a PDP just after Christmas. We did loads of research inc these forums plus lots of time spent going for demo's and speaking to people - one of whom is in the screen business. We had a VM5 for 3 days to evaluate. In the end it was a toss up between the Panny PW7 and the VR5 and tbh I haven't seen any newer plasmas in the below £1700 price range to beat them. Went to Nexnix.co.uk for a demo of the PW6/7 and VR5.

Imho I thought the PW6/7 was everso slightly better (although that had been run in and the VR5 was new) but the old man bought the VR5 due to the extra connectivity and the likelyhood that it will accept a 50hz Sky HD signal with hopefully no hassle. Fingers crossed.

Having got this plasma connected via a scart to 4 BNC cable and SKY+ with a Pace box and set up aswell as I can do (DVE disk, the picture and colours are shocking out of the box) with some 774 hours on the clock, I can honestly say that this is one of the best Sky pictures I have ever seen. The picture has got better with time. Now I know that this sounds like I'm blowing my own trumpet but my Dad is very very pleased and thinks he got great value for money at £1720 inc stand and I would have to agree. No-one I know has a better picture even on more expensive dispays. DVD through component and progressive scan on a Arcam DV79 is also high quality.

The negatives. Well Sky sports tickertape was jerky to start with but has improved (not as smooth as the PW7 but I've been watching a lot of footie and the recent cricket and can't see any issues with fast moving balls etc)

I can hear the plasma buzz a bit if I turn the sound down but no-one else notices. I have super super sensitive hearing!!

Try and demo a well set up one if you can. I know it's a bit cheeky to demo and not buy but what else can you do? For £1K you won't be dissapointed.

5. lukassk

lukassk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi !!
    Well I've done some research on this forum yesterday, and today Nec VR5 is all ready in my living room :clap: I must say picture quality is very good, I have Denon 1910 DVd player and in 720p via DVI PQ is pin sharp tommorow I will try to connect it to Sony Freeview reciever. So far I am very happy with nec. I've seen Panasonic PV500 in SevenOaks shop in Ealing Broadway connected to Denon 3910 playing Spiderman 2 and I must say there is not much diffrence in PQ certainly if you look at Panasonic price.