1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEC VR5 DVI HDCP compliance test

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Duffers0, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Duffers0

Duffers0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hopefully my VR5 will arrive on Monday. Having very recently only just started to get my head around a whole new world of pnumonics (DVI, HDMI, HDCP) it concerns me that I should check the HDCP claimed compliance of the VR5 as soon as poss, just in case.

I do not own a DVD player with either DVI or HDMI therefore the only DVI source I have is my PC, (Radeon 8500 Pro GF)

Question is I guess my PC source output is not compliant, so will get an image via DVI on the VR5 anyway.

I will be looking to upgrade my DVD player in due course probably (Denon 2910 on current thinking) but this might not be for a few months.

As I said only just beginning to understand these new terms am i missing the point about HDCP, I assume source and display need to be compliant to work together??

Any other ways of testing the claimed compliance by NEC of the VR5.

Comments appreciated on all things HDCP and the Denon 2910 for that matter.

For what its worth I started by looking at the Denon 1910 but read the report below:
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=120

Be very careful if the same Faroudja deinterlacer chip is said to be in both the 1910 and 2910, have seen web page ads suggesting this.

2910 = Faroudja deinterlacer chip 2310
    1910= Faroudja deinterlacer chip 2301 :devil:

Accordring to the article above the 1910 suffers with macroblocking ( badly)

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    not sure of any HDCP sources in the UK that will output 720p @50 with full HDCP (DVI DVD> IScan HD+ or other scaler???)
    I have also heard on HD NEC the DVi input is dissapointing and not as good as the component input or the competition, not heard of anyone trying on the SD panel

3. Oblomov

Oblomov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hornydragon,

Where and what did you hear about poor quality DVI input on NEC HD plasmas? As I am thinking of getting one to use with a HCPC I would be very grateful if you could elaborate a little.

Thanks, Oblomov

4. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    No, having a HDCP compatible display does not require that you have a source that uses HDCP. It's the other way round - if the source uses HDCP, then the display must implement HDCP to view it.

A HDCP compatible display will display any input signal (of a resolution/frequency that it supports), whether it uses HDCP or not.

The Denon 2910 does use the 2310 chip - the bigger brother of the 2301 - and works beautifully.

It also upscales to 720p and 1080i @ 50hz (if you are using 50hz material!), and always uses HDCP on it's DVI and HDMI outputs (at least, that is what is stated in the manual).

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    From a dealer who had one on demo for a few days and compred it to MXE and PHD units

6. Duffers0

Duffers0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Denon 2910 and 2310 chip was the point I was trying to make.

I have seen internet adverts for 1910 model suggesting SAME chip as 2910 and 3910 players.
    Just trying to make people aware this is not the case.

looks like the denon 2910 and NEC VR5 will make good buddies. :clap: